BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has an 1999 LT that took a nap in the garage and on the way down broke the lower arm of the windshield that rides up and down. I brought it to a welding shop and it is pot metal and didn't weld at all. So, took it to a nearby machine shop and they made another one for me. Great guys, willing to go the extra mile (helped that one of them was a rider) to make it work. I figure that it is about $60-80 to make these, and they would be wiling to make more and get it even cheaper. If you have ever tried to find these on Ebay, you know they are rare, because they are the weak link. No money to be made here, but willing to see if others are in the same predicament as I was. I think the only way BMW sells it is the entire assembly for $800 or close to it.
If you are interested, I'm newly retired, and happy to do the let work on this.

Dave

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
There may be a posting on here where some have used 1/4" thick teflon.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I was looking for that and couldn't find it, so took another route. I surely don't want to reinvent a wheel that someone else has done. I'll give another look

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had no idea Teflon was available in 1/4" thickness.

I'm gonna guess you meant Lexan, as Dick used. I can see that being perfectly functional, but Teflon *might* be just a touch soft for that application....

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,191 Posts
Most likely it was Delrin (acetal homopolymer resin) and not Teflon. A good choice, easy to machine, strong and available in a wide range of thicknesses.

Reactions: Mark65

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
I had no idea Teflon was available in 1/4" thickness.

I'm gonna guess you meant Lexan, as Dick used. I can see that being perfectly functional, but Teflon *might* be just a touch soft for that application....
Maybe it was the lexan that Dick was talking about. I did not do a search and just threw that out there.

Reactions: Mark65

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had a crash in Lebanon TN this weekend that resulted in the windshield coming off the bike. The two support arms were broken on the windshield adjust assembly. I was able to duct tape the windshield back on the bike and make it back to Morristown TN. The good news is I did not get hurt. ATGATT.

My bike is a 2008 K1200LT with 67,500 miles. I had a flat tire on the interstate. I felt a wiggle in the front end, pulled off and found the tire flat. I plugged it and spun the tire on the wheel. The tire was ruined. In a few seconds it overheats and distorts the sidewall. It is a Metzler 888. I am done with that brand. So luckily there is a motorcycle shop 2.5 miles away and I can limp in there. They have a tire that will fit my bike. I purchase the tire and as I am pulling out into the highway, the whole back end slides out from under me and I watch my windshield separate from the bike. Oh shit, I am not going to make it to the rally. I was on my way to the Falling Leaf rally in Potosi MO. One slippery new tire spoiled my whole day.

Is there some solvent you can wash the new tire with to remove the slippery surface that will not harm the tire?

So I am interested in finding new support arms or a replacement windshield adjustment assembly. My windshield was not damaged. Only the cast support arms.

Also what is the best way to get the assembly off the bike for replacement? I have removed the instrument cover piece and have removed all the allen head screws that hold the assembly in place. I can pick the assembly up about 4-5 inches but removal is blocked. I am trying to decide whether to remove the instruments and then pull the assembly or to remove the front nose fairing. Currently the removal is blocked by frame, and instruments. My Clymer manual offers no help.

I am sure someone has removed this before and knows the best method.

thanks,

alex

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
I had a crash in Lebanon TN this weekend that resulted in the windshield coming off the bike. The two support arms were broken on the windshield adjust assembly. I was able to duct tape the windshield back on the bike and make it back to Morristown TN. The good news is I did not get hurt. ATGATT.

My bike is a 2008 K1200LT with 67,500 miles. I had a flat tire on the interstate. I felt a wiggle in the front end, pulled off and found the tire flat. I plugged it and spun the tire on the wheel. The tire was ruined. In a few seconds it overheats and distorts the sidewall. It is a Metzler 888. I am done with that brand. So luckily there is a motorcycle shop 2.5 miles away and I can limp in there. They have a tire that will fit my bike. I purchase the tire and as I am pulling out into the highway, the whole back end slides out from under me and I watch my windshield separate from the bike. Oh shit, I am not going to make it to the rally. I was on my way to the Falling Leaf rally in Potosi MO. One slippery new tire spoiled my whole day.

Is there some solvent you can wash the new tire with to remove the slippery surface that will not harm the tire?

So I am interested in finding new support arms or a replacement windshield adjustment assembly. My windshield was not damaged. Only the cast support arms.

Also what is the best way to get the assembly off the bike for replacement? I have removed the instrument cover piece and have removed all the allen head screws that hold the assembly in place. I can pick the assembly up about 4-5 inches but removal is blocked. I am trying to decide whether to remove the instruments and then pull the assembly or to remove the front nose fairing. Currently the removal is blocked by frame, and instruments. My Clymer manual offers no help.

I am sure someone has removed this before and knows the best method.

thanks,

alex
I can’t help you with the windshield arms as I have not had to delve into that part of my LT yet.

As for new tires, I scrub mine with a brush and Dawn dishwashing liquid. That gets most of the mold release off. I then ride sedately for the first few miles and gradually increase lean angles in the corners. After 50 miles or so, the tire is usually as good as it is going to get.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,191 Posts
That is a nice video for an RT but the LT is totally different.

The manual states remove the front fairing so I suspect you may need to do that as it also says remove the 5 bolts and lift out the assembly. Also cut all the cable ties and remove the relay unit from the sub frame, that may give you enough clearance.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts