BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had my LT (2000) for about a month. I've put about 1,000 miles on her, mostly commuting to/from work. I did go on a 220-mile ride a couple of weeks ago, and I love the bike.

What I've noticed is that as I get up to highway speeds, I feel like my head is getting pushed forward from behind towards the windshield by a strong wind/force. This sensation is even greater if the windshield is raised to its highest position. It's actually a bit of work to keep pushing my head back against the force.

I assume others have experienced the same thing. Is there anything that can be done about it? A different windshield, maybe?

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
You'll have to find the sweet spot on the stock WS. other's are better at minimizing the effects. Search for windshields to find the plethora out there. no recommendations as it is simply a preference thing...

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
You need to lower the windshield a little. I only run mine all the way up if I'm running in rain. Just raise it until you feel the wind settling down and no head bobble. It's usually just above eye level. You'll have to play around with it............ :D

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Shields Profile / Shape makes a huge difference in air flow around rider and passenger.
As does view and lack of the horrid distortion of the stock shield.

A Cut down PARABELLUM is my shield of choice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do mostly ride with the shield in its lowest position (especially since it's been so hot here recently), but I still feel like the vortex is sucking me in even when it's low.

I saw another thread about cutting the stock shield. I may have to explore that option.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
LT_Timmer said:
I do mostly ride with the shield in its lowest position (especially since it's been so hot here recently), but I still feel like the vortex is sucking me in even when it's low.

I saw another thread about cutting the stock shield. I may have to explore that option.
How tall are you? It is possible that you need a shorter version of the windshield?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'm 5' 8" and I get the same pull toward the windshield at its highest position, with the stock windshield on my '09 LT. I drop the windshield just to the point that the top of my helmet is 1-2" above the height of the windshield and that seems to do the trick. Like others, in this kind of heat we're having, I keep the windshield in the lowest position. Usually, when it's raining, I'll keep the top of the windshield just at eye height or slightly lower.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Just so you know my 09 does the same thing I'm 6' 3" just have to lower the shield a bit to break the effect.

LT_Timmer said:
I've only had my LT (2000) for about a month. I've put about 1,000 miles on her, mostly commuting to/from work. I did go on a 220-mile ride a couple of weeks ago, and I love the bike.

What I've noticed is that as I get up to highway speeds, I feel like my head is getting pushed forward from behind towards the windshield by a strong wind/force. This sensation is even greater if the windshield is raised to its highest position. It's actually a bit of work to keep pushing my head back against the force.

I assume others have experienced the same thing. Is there anything that can be done about it? A different windshield, maybe?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I never noticed; it's not bothered me. I do tend to sit forward on the seat and, at times, I do enjoy the quiet provided by the vacuum.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
I'm 5-11 and have found that this "problem" is simply one of the bike's strange but manageable quirks. Seat position, along with the stock windshield's height seem to make it work. I do find it odd to have to clean both the outside and inside windshield of bugs!

As a side note, when it is raining hard, I have MUCH better visibility with the windshield all the way down and I depend on the helmets visor. I have a Nolan and the rain just glances off and my visibility is so much better than seeing through the helmets visor, my sunglasses and the windshield.

·
Registered
717 Posts
LT_Timmer said:

Do you have the stock windshield? I think the stock windshield measures 21"(?) top to bottom. It will have the BMW logo etched into it near the bottom center.

LT_Timmer said:

At the lowest position, I have no problem with any "sucking vortex". Only when it is raised above my eye-line. When positioned just below my eye-line, it is balanced but makes enough wind noise to warrant earplugs under my helmet.
I found a BMW Euro windshield. It is much shorter than the standard. At its highest position, there is still a lot of wind but never a "back-draft" condition. btw, it's great for riding in the summer sauna down here. Plenty of air.

LT_Timmer said:
I'm 5'9".
I'm about the same height.

·
Registered
153 Posts
dukey33 said:
I found a BMW Euro windshield. It is much shorter than the standard. At its highest position, there is still a lot of wind but never a "back-draft" condition. btw, it's great for riding in the summer sauna down here. Plenty of air.

I have the Euro also, with the addition of a Laminar Lip I can ride with the shield nearly all the way down and have good protection without any back pressure. I'm 6' 4" and without the lip I needed the Euro all the way up to be comfortable but even then the back pressure was minimal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I just bought a 00 LT With 17,000 mi. To cold to ride here in MI. so it sets at the dealer until spring. Most bikes have this problem, Thats why GW has a vent in theirs. Some 3rd party wind screens come with vents. I Think I've seen some Internet adds for DIY vents to put in stock screens.

I,m new to this group. Have been riding a Bergman 650 Scooter the last 5 yr. Felt very much like the LT but not so good for the wife.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Orin said:
Hi. I just bought a 00 LT With 17,000 mi. To cold to ride here in MI. so it sets at the dealer until spring. Most bikes have this problem, Thats why GW has a vent in theirs. Some 3rd party wind screens come with vents. I Think I've seen some Internet adds for DIY vents to put in stock screens.

I,m new to this group. Have been riding a Bergman 650 Scooter the last 5 yr. Felt very much like the LT but not so good for the wife.
How can you leave your new bike at the dealer's until spring??????? Do you get visiting privelages so that you can at least sit on the seat and make motor noises while pretending you are riding in spring weather?

Couldn't leave it at the dealer. I would HAVE to bring it home so that I could polish, clean, farkle up, change fluids, perform other needed services, (pretend)!

Loren

·
Registered
719 Posts
LT_Timmer said:

do you have the side wings open? it helps when its hot

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
beeper said:
I have the Euro also, with the addition of a Laminar Lip I can ride with the shield nearly all the way down and have good protection without any back pressure. I'm 6' 4" and without the lip I needed the Euro all the way up to be comfortable but even then the back pressure was minimal.

Double ditto on this set up. This is what I have, Euro shield with the Laminar lip and no pushing/pulling of the head and it is quiet behind the shield. Love this set up.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have a laminar lip for sale...$30 plus S/H.

I live in Virginia Beach, VA and work in Silver Spring, MD.

I work with a guy that commutes from Purcellville daily.

If you are interested, I can bring it up and send it out with him...no shipping costs.

Cheers,
Glenn

1 - 20 of 24 Posts