BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2012 rt tri color and love it but I was blessed with the big gene and so I feel that the stock windscreen is lacking and tends to be noisy. Any suggestions my local dealer stocks the Ztechnik wongscreens while the other store in town has dee baileys. Which do you all prefer?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have the Cee Baily on my 2010 RT. I found it to be much quieter than the stock one, but a whole lot more flexible. Disconsertingly so. Coming across South Dakota a few weeks ago I got caught is some day long cross winds of 40+ MPH. At interstate speeds and when passing 18 wheelers or campers, the turbulence was absolutely awful on the bike. When going through that, the Cee Baily flexed rapidly back and forth at least 3 inches. I thought the thing was going to break it was so bad. Just saying.

To be fair, I did not experience the same winds with the stock windshield or the Z Technik I had on my LT. So I do not know how they would fare in a similar cross wind. I believe the Z Technik is made of sturdier stuff, but it had a minor distortion down low and therefore not a bother to me on the LT. The Cee Baily on the RT has some distortion, but you have to look for it.

Hope this helps.

Ultra LT

·
Registered
421 Posts
This is sort of like asking what oil to use...you're going to get many different opinions. Here's mine. I used the stock screen on my 2011 RT for about 1000 miles before getting a Cee Bailey's. It worked better than stock but I still would get some buffeting on the top of my head and my arms were getting no airflow at all. A few thousand miles after that I went with a Cal Sci screen. It is a big improvement over the Cee Bailey's in that virtually all the head buffeting is gone and my arms now get just the right amount of airflow.

http://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/R1200RTprod.html

The finish along the edges of the Cal Sci are not as nice and smooth as the Cee Bailey's but aerodynamically it's superior. It has a cut out near the bottom to relieve back pressure which aids in the smoother airflow over the helmet. There are installation instructions that tell you to only install the screen if the temperature is over a certain amount because it has to morph to the curvature of the mounts. It's no big deal, just follow the instructions.

I chose I height even with the tip of my nose when the screen is all the way down. This worked out perfect because I can get airflow in the summer down to my chest when all the way down, or no airflow in the winter when all the way up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am 6'-4" with a 34" inseam. I found the stock screen gave enough wind protection but had a lot of buffeting and was thus very noisy. I bought the Cee Baileys +2" and it made a huge difference for me. Now I can sit in a very quiet pocket of air. As a bonus, I think it looks very sharp in the light smoke colour. The only catch is that I can't get much wind on a hot day with the screen all the way down.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
ztechnik V-Stream for cool..... Cee Baileys Sport Shield when warm!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I have a Calsci XL. It was great in Iowa, but since moving to Arizona, I wish I had something smaller. I am 6'5 with 34" inseam. With this heat, I really would like a little more airflow. Great windscreen when it's cold though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts