BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the size and thread pitch of the four screws that secure the windscreen?

I plan to buy some screws of the proper size cut the heads off and glue them into the plastic in place of the screws. Use nyloc nuts to hold the screen on.

I take the screen off everytime I load the bike on the truck and am concerned about damaging the threads in the plastic support.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
Rick,

Actually it is aluminum. I cross threaded one of mine this weekend and had to get the tap out to clean it up. M5 x 0.8. Don't know if you can find a good Nylock nut to fit under the covers, but good luck.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John.

I plan to leave the the covers off and use chrome, plastic, or stainless nut covers. Maybe acorn nuts. Trying to cut down on parts and time.

Rick

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
Then don't forget to add some large washers to help distribute the force better. Maybe you can even find some chrome ones.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,181 Posts
Rick,

Sounds like a plan. I see you are just south of B'Ham, if you are headed North - stop in and say Hey.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Rick,

If you're interested in selling the covers (chrome?), I'd like to get 'em from you. The previous owner installed an Aeroflow and left the covers off. If you're still in town, I can meet you somewhere.

Thanks!

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
The Aeroflow instructions recommend leaving the chrome covers off. Others have used them and been OK. FWIW I have a spare set of chrome covers and the metal tabs that go underneath that I can let go at a reasonable price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts