BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my windscreen is. So scratched. I cannot see through it anymore is there a. Way to sand. It down or do I have to buy a. New one. I am not interested in paying the stealer ship big bucks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi my windscreen is. So scratched. I cannot see through it anymore is there a. Way to sand. It down or do I have to buy a. New one. I am not interested in paying the stealer ship big bucks.
Factory shield comes w/ coating which tends to crack and sometimes yellow with age. I extended the life of my '99 by removing the coating. I believe I used LOC Soft Cleanser which has some mild solvent and abrasive which does not scratch the plastic. Obviously, you'll want to test in inconspicuous spot, should you choose this route.

If your plastic is indeed what is scratched, you have a much bigger job: you'll have to remove the coating and polish out the scratches. That would be a job for a very long winter, I think.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Where are you located? I have one in good shape off my 2002 K1200LT. You can have it for the shipping or pick it up if near Wis. :wave
PM me.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
Factory shield comes w/ coating which tends to crack and sometimes yellow with age. I extended the life of my '99 by removing the coating. I believe I used LOC Soft Cleanser which has some mild solvent and abrasive which does not scratch the plastic. Obviously, you'll want to test in inconspicuous spot, should you choose this route.

If your plastic is indeed what is scratched, you have a much bigger job: you'll have to remove the coating and polish out the scratches. That would be a job for a very long winter, I think.
Polycarbonate does not polish well and will never be right. It is also soft and will scratch easily in the future once the hard coating is gone. Better to bite the bullet and get a new one otherwise riding into the sun will not be fun.

https://www.acmeplastics.com/acrylic-vs-polycarbonate

·
Registered
148 Posts
I bought a 7jurock.com windshield for my 06 LT in December '18 and am very happy. It's nice to see clearly again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
I bought a 7jurock.com windshield for my 06 LT in December '18 and am very happy. It's nice to see clearly again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
If only they weren’t acrylic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts