BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace the windscreen motor on my 2000 K12ooLT. I located a used one at BeemerBoneYard.com (A GREAT PLACE for all K Bike parts) ANY TIPS?

·
Registered
446 Posts
How did you determine the motor was bad.

A couple of years ago my motor worked intermittently and then stopped. When I check it I found that my HID light unit that I had set on top of the head light assembly had move to the motor and had broken a connection on the motor that would not allow it to work.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Not much to replace once you get the sides and nose cone off, 4 to rx screws and the connector.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
The majority of windshield related problems can be solved by simply lubing the linkage, I suppose it can happen but I've never heard of anyone having to actually replace the motor.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I had an extra windscreen motor, and a few months ago a fellow member from Canada posted his motor was bad, and thus I sold it to him. After he received it, he wrote me, and told me it wasn't the motor after all, but a switch or relay. SO, before you go buy one, make sure that is the problem. I had an extra motor because one of the arms on the windscreen adjuster broke. You can't just buy the part, you have to buy the entire motor and arm unit!!! I was able to find a used on for about half price. But to reiterate, it is pretty unusual for the motor to go bad--most often it is the switch or relay.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My relays went bad twice before I went with after market.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! I can hear the relay(s) clicking when I press the switch. When the problem started I noticed the windscreen would go up/down very slowly. I purchased a larger windscreen that I install when winter arrives and it does cause more drag, which probably places more load on the motor. I'll check ther relays before I remove all the plastic. I have lubed all moving parts on a regular basis. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Been there,
I put a larger windshield on,
she'd go up and down at standstill (real slow) but not at highway speed,
I thought too much drag, motor is going,
somebody here said lube it,
I did, problem solved.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anybody know if an after-market relay for the windscream motor is available? Someone posted that they got them at AutoZone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts