BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After four years...I'm frustrated to the point of posting a request for help!!

Can someone tell me the proper procedure and 'equipment' to clean the windscreen on my '04 LT. For some reason the draft on this bike creates a backflow which produces a grimmy oily appearing smootch on the rider side in addition to the normal bug, grease and road deposits on the front side.

Rubba dub dub...soap, warm water, cold water, standing on my head won't produce a clean screen without polishing the GD plastic crap that the 'werks' installed on this bike.

My Honda and Suzuki...no problem. The beemer...a struggle. Next thing will be an electric polisher!!

Now that I've vented (not Coors Light...well maybe one as it is Sunday afternoon)...please give me some advise on how to clean this thing up with somewhat of ease.

Thanks muchly...Tom

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Your bike may be suffering from foggy over, a common occurance on the LT's windshield. Most other board members have switched out the stock screen for Cee Baileys or Ztechnic screens.

Hope that helps!

FWIW, I've recently discovered Miller High Life Lite! Much better than Coors but not better than Corona or Heinken Lights.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I've switched to the ZTech screen and I use Turtle wax Ice on mine, both sides. Its easier to clean and the Ice helps bug removal.

Dean UK

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've tried most of the recommendations I read here, but the cleaning step that makes the difference for me is a final wipe-down with denatured alcohol. Gets rid of the grime, and makes the (stock) shield fog-free for several days.

I only use it on the windshield, deflectors, and fins.

·
Registered
280 Posts
harleeetom said:
After four years...I'm frustrated to the point of posting a request for help!!

Can someone tell me the proper procedure and 'equipment' to clean the windscreen on my '04 LT. For some reason the draft on this bike creates a backflow which produces a grimmy oily appearing smootch on the rider side in addition to the normal bug, grease and road deposits on the front side.

Rubba dub dub...soap, warm water, cold water, standing on my head won't produce a clean screen without polishing the GD plastic crap that the 'werks' installed on this bike.

My Honda and Suzuki...no problem. The beemer...a struggle. Next thing will be an electric polisher!!

Now that I've vented (not Coors Light...well maybe one as it is Sunday afternoon)...please give me some advise on how to clean this thing up with somewhat of ease.

Thanks muchly...Tom
Try cleaning it with rubbing alcohol. I read a thread on our site that statedthis would clear your problem.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I just learned, from the fine folks here, about the alcohol wipe. Did it yesterday, and pleased as punch! So happy in fact, mixed the alcohol and punch, and now everything's blurry! Seriously, try it (wiping, not drinking), you'll like it :rotf:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts