BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a problem with the chromed plastic covers for the windscreen mounting mechanism. I interchange about 3 screens depending upon what kind of riding I am doing. I go from an OEM Euro short to a CB #2 plus 2 with wings. As I changed these out over last season the chromed plastic covers were being damaged to the point where they have become unstable and will not work as intended. The little plastic lock down tabs are breaking off one at a time. One of the covers only has one tab left and the other is not far behind. I have tried to exercise care each time but the damage still happens. I may be doing something wrong but have taken great care to minimize the damage.

I don't believe they were designed to withstand this kind of continuous use. I am not comfortable with the idea of replacing with new ones so I have been considering making my own out of stainless bar stock shaped appropriately and drilling them straight through to accommodate the OEM mounting screws. This would be similar to the ones used on the the RT.

Has anyone in this forum had a similar experience and how did you do to deal with it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
ajs said:
Has anyone in this forum had a similar experience and how did you do to deal with it?
I sure have! And I bet you will get about 300 more yes-replies...

Waiting to see some innovative solutions to this problem. So far I am just hoping that the last little plastic thingy will hold...

Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,900 Posts
Mine are broken on both sides (L & R) and are currently being held in place by clear RTV. I've been toying with the idea of machining a pair from billet aluminum stock and using longer screws for the W/S to go through the aluminum pieces and W/S with the holes counterbored so the screw heads sit below the surface.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
Same problem here too. I wonder if having some silicone spray/grease on those little plastic tabs would help to reposition them without breaking. On the other hand, any substance other than water on a stock shield or a Z-Technic shield may hurt the finish. I hope someone comes up with a solution other than buying new covers periodically.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
My solution was to abandon the covers. I JB Welded "Pins" (in my case I used my F/D pins with the push needle ground off) to the head of each of the four windshield screws. This allows me to change windshields with-out a screwdriver as I can unscrew them by hand.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,276 Posts
Yep, those chrome covers seem to be pretty fragile. Both of them on my '05 are broken. I've resorted to holding them in place with a couple of pieces of double sided foam tape, the type that's used to hold trim strips on automobiles. Works just fine. My other observation is that the plain grey ones that were on my '99 LT seemed to be a lot more robust. I used the originals on that bike for nearly 97,000 miles and never had a problem. Perhaps the plastic is different on the newer ones to accomodate the chrome or else the plating process degrades the material. I wonder if the old style grey is still available?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,114 Posts
Here's the deal of a lifetime. I have two (2) brand-new ones available at NO CHARGE for you. When I got my LT and changed windscreens I lamented that these things look way too fragile for the intended purpose and bought a spare set. I have changed screens too many times to count with a number of Cee Bailey screens, etc. Suffice it to say, the plastic/chrome covers are like new (I sold my LT) and are yours for the taking. May I at least suggest what I think is the proper way to remove. At the risk of being obvious:

1. stand perpendicular to the screen (the side of the screen).
2. Grasp the INSIDE off the plastic cover with both hands, index finger thru pinky, the OUTSIDE with the thumbs.
3. Apply pressure with the index-pinky fingers while at the same time, with pressure applied to fingers, rotate fingers towards you/outward.

Send me your address and I will send you a new pair. Practice with the old ones.

Regards,
John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all who responded to my question. There are some very interesting ideas in your responses. I think I will take jpalamaro up on his great offer and use them when they arrive. In the meantime I think I will use the JB Weld to fill in the spaces between the remaining little fingers, in an attempt to reinforce them (an idea I got from my wife) and see how that works for now.

I have done an "analysis" of what happens and the sequence of events as the covers come off and go back on using the method described by jpalamaro. I believe I have identified the reason the fingers break off and will be putting my "treory" to the test with my JB Weld repaired covers. If it proves to be the answer I will do a follow-up post later.

In the meantime, any other ideas out there will be welcome.

Regards, Austin S.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
Mine haven't broken...yet, but they rattled,
I also used the doubled sided tape and foam insulating strip approach
and replaced it everytime I had the shield of,
the last time I shoved a piece of foam strip (sticky side in) into the little chrome strip
and put a piece of adhesive velcro on the foam with it's mate stuck on the metal piece that's mounted to the shield,
I haven't had the shield off since so I can't tell you if it's worth the effort,
but it doesn't rattle.
On the Cee Bailey shield I noticed the holes were a little larger than the stock shield
so I cut four 1/4 inch pieces out of a small hose and used them as "inserts" around the screws,
just for the "cushioning" effect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
Morley said:
Mine are broken on both sides (L & R) and are currently being held in place by clear RTV. I've been toying with the idea of machining a pair from billet aluminum stock and using longer screws for the W/S to go through the aluminum pieces and W/S with the holes counterbored so the screw heads sit below the surface.
I smell a great little product here... And I'd be first in line...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
John, PM sent! I am interested in the trim pieces if still available.

John
jpalamaro said:
Here's the deal of a lifetime. I have two (2) brand-new ones available at NO CHARGE for you. When I got my LT and changed windscreens I lamented that these things look way too fragile for the intended purpose and bought a spare set. I have changed screens too many times to count with a number of Cee Bailey screens, etc. Suffice it to say, the plastic/chrome covers are like new (I sold my LT) and are yours for the taking. May I at least suggest what I think is the proper way to remove. At the risk of being obvious:

1. stand perpendicular to the screen (the side of the screen).
2. Grasp the INSIDE off the plastic cover with both hands, index finger thru pinky, the OUTSIDE with the thumbs.
3. Apply pressure with the index-pinky fingers while at the same time, with pressure applied to fingers, rotate fingers towards you/outward.

Send me your address and I will send you a new pair. Practice with the old ones.

Regards,
John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,137 Posts
Oops! Guess I should have read more before posting! I see where Austin had already spoken up for them. Good advise by John on how to remove the trim with the least damage however!

John
AlaskaFish said:
John, PM sent! I am interested in the trim pieces if still available.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
ajs said:
Have a problem with the chromed plastic covers for the windscreen mounting mechanism. I interchange about 3 screens depending upon what kind of riding I am doing. I go from an OEM Euro short to a CB #2 plus 2 with wings. As I changed these out over last season the chromed plastic covers were being damaged to the point where they have become unstable and will not work as intended. The little plastic lock down tabs are breaking off one at a time. One of the covers only has one tab left and the other is not far behind. I have tried to exercise care each time but the damage still happens. I may be doing something wrong but have taken great care to minimize the damage.

I don't believe they were designed to withstand this kind of continuous use. I am not comfortable with the idea of replacing with new ones so I have been considering making my own out of stainless bar stock shaped appropriately and drilling them straight through to accommodate the OEM mounting screws. This would be similar to the ones used on the the RT.

Has anyone in this forum had a similar experience and how did you do to deal with it?

Dump them. Get 4 stainless steel machine screws, 4 stainless steel washers and 8 black rubber washers. The rubber goes on each side of the screen, the stainless washers go on the outside and the screw goes through it all. End of story and end of problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Morley said:
Mine are broken on both sides (L & R) and are currently being held in place by clear RTV. I've been toying with the idea of machining a pair from billet aluminum stock and using longer screws for the W/S to go through the aluminum pieces and W/S with the holes counterbored so the screw heads sit below the surface.
If this comes about, put my name on the list. I'd take a set. dwillie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Windscreen fasteners update

Thank you to all who responded to my windscreen fastener problem. I have read them all and have come away with some changes in the way I remove the chromed covers that should result in them working better with no or at least minimal damage. I am shooting for no damage and am optimistic I have achieved that, but time will tell.

I have made a design change to the covers and have completely changed the way I remove and replace them. I am sure others on this forum have experienced similar problems with these in the past. For this reason, and in the hope others can gain from this I will explain the changes I have made.

The design change was to simply use J B Weld between the little plastic fingers to make them solid and therefore less likely to break as they are removed and replaced each time. I drilled tiny shallow holes into the side of the chrome covers. Two holes between each of the little fingers from the inside being careful not to penetrate through to the outside. This obviously was to give the J B Weld something to grab onto rather than depend solely on the smooth chromed surface.

I think the changed method of removal and replacement is the most important change and will go a long way to avoid damaging the repaired covers and they should be in service for a long time.

For clarification, I was using the method described by jpalamaro previously. I found it hard on my fingers and the top and bottom release points were not releasing at the same time putting more pressure/strain usually on the top release point resulting in the little fingers breaking off eventually. I also found the reinstallation had the same result.

I changed the removal and reinstallation as follows;
1. To remove the covers, I now use about a 3" piece of a hacksaw blade as the removal tool. (with the teeth ground off) I place it under the chromed cover just above the lower inside steel retaining clip and make sure the end of the tool under the cover is on TOP of the flat part of the steel bracket, again. just above the lower inside steel retaining clip.
2. Once the tool is placed as described in 1. and ONLY then, I pry the lower part of the cover off the retaining clip by prying towards me (I am standing directly in front of the bike) until the cover releases from the bottom retaining clip. It is important to not pry too hard so the cover does not twist too much and put unnecessary strain on the top release point.
3. I then slide the bottom of the cover towards the outside of the windscreen JUST enough to permit me to slide the cover up towards the top of the windscreen just enough to clear the top retaining clip and lift the cover off the steel bracket completely.

To reinstall the covers this whole procedure is reversed. In the reinstallation, it is important to slide the cover down until the upper steel clip on the outside edge of the steel bracket comes up against the upper plastic stop on the underside of the cover. AND the lower part of the cover can slide over the bottom of the steel bracket with the lower outside clip on the steel bracket set in place just above the lower plastic stop on the underside of the cover. With the cover placed as described it will then snap into place with very little pressure on it at the lower inside retainer clip.

This may sound all very confusing but I am sure if anyone wants to try this method, with a little practice it will quickly make sense. I have found I have much greater control of things with this method and after repeating it many times I am confident the covers will survive and last much longer.

I will be taking some digital pictures of all this and if I could I would put them out on this thread to help anyone to better understand the whole thing. I don't understand how to do this so my apologies for that.

I hope others can find some helpful information in this for their chromed windscreen covers.

Regards,
Austin S
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
Hey Austin, this was a good one!

Did you get totally new covers or were you able to fix the old ones? I mean in one of my covers there is only one tooth left.

Looking forward to your pics.


PS. How is your fake muffler coming?

Regards
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pozo_izquierdo said:
Hey Austin, this was a good one!

Did you get totally new covers or were you able to fix the old ones? I mean in one of my covers there is only one tooth left.

Looking forward to your pics.


PS. How is your fake muffler coming?

Regards
Hi, Ari
It's been a long winter layover here. Not much snow though, but plenty of salt on the roads. I will soon be able to get on the bike again though. I have spent the winter doing many things to the bike including the fake muffler. It is just about completed. I will soon be taking the finish pictures and if I could only learn to transfer these pictures to this forum I will be happy to do so for you and any others interested. I'm afraid it's going to be harder for me to do that than it was to make the muffler.

I used my damaged covers. One of them only had one finger left too. I was able to rebuild it in the same way as I reinforced the others. Everything looks nice and strong now. The only problem I have with them is I did some minor damage when I drilled them. One of the holes did penetrate all the way through. It is just a very small hole so I may just live with it. Except for that little imperfection, I am completely happy with the result. I am sure You and others who have a similar problem can do a good repair and continue to use your old ones. I believe the real saver for these covers is the method I use to install them now.

If you decide to use this repair method I'd be interested to know how you get along with it.

jpalamaro is sending me a new set and when they come I will decide wether I will use them or not. If I don't, in the spirit of this great forum, I will pass them along to someone else on this forum in the same manner in which I received them. (free)

As soon as I learn how to transfer my pics. onto this forum I will do so regarding the muffler, the covers and other things I have done to the bike such as bug/rock protectors for the radiators, my version of the "Wings of Gold", LED signal lights in the side bag reflectors, and center stand ground lights.

Regards,
Austin S.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top