BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the back story. My LT is the 3rd BMW I have had, all have had windscreens and I have never had a problem taking them off and putting them on. I am aware not to over tighten the dam screws. So a week or so ago, I took the side panels and nose off of the LT and of course the windscreen in order to clean up some lighting issues. I have had the windscreen off before and had no issues. This time I put it back on and read that a tiny touch of threadlock is good for the screws, but not the screen. So on goes a tiny drop of the blue stuff and I shake the screws before putting them in making sure not to get it on the screen. Snug up the screws a bit at a time evenly as to not stress the screen in any one direction and finally snug them up but did not crank the things down.

Got the bike back together, all was good. Parked it back in its spot and it has sat there since then, over a week now, has not been out on the road. Got home today and plan on riding to work tomorrow, so thought I should check the bike to see if it has gas. As I walk by the bike, I notice a small crack coming out from under the "chrome" cover thing. WTF? Hmm, its small oh well, shame on me. Go in the house, put my stuff away and go back to the bike to take it for gas. Start the bike and jump on and notice every screw has a crack coming from it!!

So what say the masses? Do I just not know my own strength or did the threadlock migrate up the threads and affect the screen? Oh, it is a BMW shourt Euro screen.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
No way.

BMW OEM is polycarbonate. Impossible to crack. You've got an aftermarket POS acrylic - guaranteed.

It may LOOK OEM... ;)

Maybe a stress fracture from over tightening - but a crack ain't gonna' happen. Did you ever notice the little rubber half moon bushings between the windshield and clamps. ?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Hate it happened to you, but this serves as a reminder to me as I get to put on a new tinted windshield in the morning not to overtighten the screws.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing is impossible. The screen has the roundel on it and part number for the euro screen.

The rubber doo dads were there unless they fell off while I was messing with the front end. Thinking that may be it, wonder if they dropped off or were never there. I am finding a number of odd little things with the bike that previous services or owner did not get back together properly, oh ok, me too.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
sheldan2 said:
Hate it happened to you, but this serves as a reminder to me as I get to put on a new tinted windshield in the morning not to overtighten the screws.
If you are putting on a tinted windshield you are asking for trouble, Only acrylic can be tinted. Very dangerous - send it back.

Acrylic can literally shatter into dagger like shards of plastic...:mad:

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Sit said:
Nothing is impossible. The screen has the roundel on it and part number for the euro screen.

The rubber doo dads were there unless they fell off while I was messing with the front end.
So, you are telling me that there are cracks that permeate the plastic from side to side - not jut surface "crazing" ?

Like I said, impossible.

BTW, the rubber "doo dads" are important. Maybe BMW engineers just put them them there for the hell of it. :rolleyes:

If you torqued them down properly there isn't a chance in hell that you have a through crack. Never happened before in the history of this forum... :cool:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Thanks for the advice Ron. I will keep that in mind. I don't think ceebaileys will refund my $ for the shield though. So I will just have to be careful.

RonKMiller said:
If you are putting on a tinted windshield you are asking for trouble, Only acrylic can be tinted. Very dangerous - send it back.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it was not late, I could take a photo, there is even a chunk missing from the lower right mounting hole. So much for the indestructible BMW screen. Doubt me if you will, but it is a BMW screen and is cracked through and through.

The whole purpose of me posting this was to learn, like about the doo-dads, will make sure they are there, as I too am sure the engineers did design them to by used. And since a combined knowledge is better than individual, I thought maybe the thread lock may have done it too by weakening the screen.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
If you pick up some rubber washers, they will work fine in place of your missing doo-dads

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
My stock OEM BMW windscreen is cracked at three of the four holes because the rubber washers were missing. The only hole that is not cracked is the one that had the rubber washer.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
BMW must have changed materials then.

As a 20 year glazier in my former life I know polycarbonate and for a fact it will not run!!!!!!! That is what we call a crack on glass or plastic. Poly will not or can not do this so the material must not be Poly, there is no other choice.

I don't even know anything you can put on it to cause it to brittle. You can stain it or yellow it with wrong cleaners and such but never seen it brittle.

We have fired 12 gauge shotguns at 1/8"-1/4" and I know it's strength.

I am most interested in this as I run acrylic Cee Baileys have since the bike was new, never a problem. I have the high stock that came on the bike and was going to cut it down so I will know as soon as the blade hits it what it is.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do not know when this screen was added to the bike or if it came with the bike when purchased. It is marked BMW and checking the part number, it matches what BMW shows for the Euro screen.

Thanks for the heads up about the rubber washers instead of buying BMW. Was thinking rubber behind and if I can find very thin ones, put some in front also. Not that Im nervous now or anything.

Now the hunt for a new screen. Did find a company, in china I think, Zinged Manufacturing and Exports. They show they have a LT screen, 1/16 acrylic, that if you order now they throw in a tinted low summer screen for free! :rotf:

May take the screen off tonight after a longer faster test ride to see if it worsens. When I take it off, I will post photos. If it does not worsen, will leave it on until my new Zinged screeen arrives. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Sit said:
I do not know when this screen was added to the bike or if it came with the bike when purchased. It is marked BMW and checking the part number, it matches what BMW shows for the Euro screen.

Thanks for the heads up about the rubber washers instead of buying BMW. Was thinking rubber behind and if I can find very thin ones, put some in front also. Not that Im nervous now or anything.

Now the hunt for a new screen. Did find a company, in china I think, Zinged Manufacturing and Exports. They show they have a LT screen, 1/16 acrylic, that if you order now they throw in a tinted low summer screen for free! :rotf:

May take the screen off tonight after a longer faster test ride to see if it worsens. When I take it off, I will post photos. If it does not worsen, will leave it on until my new Zinged screen arrives. :rolleyes:
If you have a glass shop local they have a solvent that works by capillary action and will actually draw into the cracks. You can walk it in and it would take like 5 minuets max. However it was made for acrylic and not sure it will work on poly. The other trick is take the smallest drill bit you have and drill a hole at the end of the crack and it will stop the run. Not sure of the aesthetics or if your silver covers will hide the repair.

I used a dab of silicon caulk into each hole to form the easily lost rubber setup from BMW. Silicon will not stick to any plastic as it does concrete and metal. It will stick but will easily come off or release with a bit of persuasion.

I think your solution is another shield to find perfection, but if you want to run the screen out some of what I offered may help. I buy the metal supports and a set of chrome covers as spares but have never needed them even with a bit of silicone mushed onto them when I remove them. Make sure you use pure silicon caulking not that latex crap, and even RT Gasket maker will work. You don't need a lot. I have had 3 windshields on my LT in 25,000 miles so I have a bit of experience on this.

You don't have to torque the screws through the roof either. Think about it you only want to hold it in place snug, wind pressure does the rest. And always tighten side to side in a cross pattern. Also take into account temperature inversion because all acrylic and poly will expand, With a curved product caution needs to be taken in this regard.

Hope I helped a bit.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a BMW low Euro windscreen that came with the bike. I am 6'2" so the origional works fine for me. Euro screen is in very good condition and has no cracks. $125 if interested.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I believe the damage Loctite causes is from the fumes created as it cures, not the liquid itself. Therefore using it no matter how carefully will weaken the plastic. They do make a stick solid which probably emits much less fumes. Also those holders only call for a few inch-pounds of torque. I only grab the short arm of the allen wrench when I torque mine.

·
Registered
453 Posts
RonKMiller said:

Most of the aftermarket windshields are acrylic and I for one prefer it to the BMW windshield in every way other than its lack of shatter resistance. I have seen Cee Bailey shields abused sufficiently for me to trust them. If I crash to the extent that my shield shatters, I have bigger problems.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
rkimmel2 said:
Most of the aftermarket windshields are acrylic and I for one prefer it to the BMW windshield in every way other than its lack of shatter resistance. I have seen Cee Bailey shields abused sufficiently for me to trust them. If I crash to the extent that my shield shatters, I have bigger problems.
After all my searching on what shield to use this was what my final though process was.

I owned a Cee Bailey #2 -6, yes -6, before owning the bike!

Although I would love to have a poly screen I have never heard as many people use or rave about them as they do the Cee Bailey. Seems the shapes are not to a Cee Bailey and people have less satisfaction of them. A Poll would show that in a very quick time I would think.

Someone make me a Cee Bailey in poly and I am down for sure.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
rkimmel2 said:
The ONLY reason I would prefer acrylic over polycarbonate is that you can polish out fine scratches. If you're careful with polycarbonate you never even have to worry about fine scratches since they usually have a silicon coating that is impregnated into the surface.

As a Commercial Pilot it absolutely drives me nutz that Cee Bailey's uses their "aircraft plastics" logo to sell dangerous products to the average motorcycle consumer. If not downright fraudulent it is certainly "strategic misrepresentation" - a marketing term used by corporate liars and charlatans to justify huge profits.
The only reason they - and others - can get away with selling this garbage is that there are no Federal Motor Safety Vehicle Safety Standards for motorcycle windshields.

Acrylic windshields ARE used on aircraft - where they are designed to be supported and surrounded by a strong metal frame. Almost all of them are a composite layered with - you guessed it - polycarbonate!

BMW has been using polycarbonate since at least 1979 - my R80/7 has one... there must be a good reason they use it when they could use much cheaper acrylic.

Did you ever consider that if your windshield shattered it could cause you to crash? :think:

ZTechnik windshield video

·
Registered
453 Posts
RonKMiller said:
The ONLY reason I would prefer acrylic over polycarbonate is that you can polish out fine scratches. If you're careful with polycarbonate you never even have to worry about fine scratches since they usually have a silicon coating that is impregnated into the surface.

As a Commercial Pilot it absolutely drives me nutz that Cee Bailey's uses their "aircraft plastics" logo to sell dangerous products to the average motorcycle consumer. If not downright fraudulent it is certainly "strategic misrepresentation" - a marketing term used by corporate liars and charlatans to justify huge profits.
The only reason they - and others - can get away with selling this garbage is that there are no Federal Motor Safety Vehicle Safety Standards for motorcycle windshields.

Acrylic windshields ARE used on aircraft - where they are designed to be supported and surrounded by a strong metal frame. Almost all of them are a composite layered with - you guessed it - polycarbonate!

BMW has been using polycarbonate since at least 1979 - my R80/7 has one... there must be a good reason they use it when they could use much cheaper acrylic.

Did you ever consider that if your windshield shattered it could cause you to crash? :think:

ZTechnik windshield video

I have considered everything you have to say and simply do not agree that this is a big issue. Maybe we need to hear from people out there who have had bad experiences with Cee Bailey shields. That could change my mind. In the meantime, there are reasons that people flock to non oem shields when they own BMWs and not all have to do with price. Lack of selection and style along with fogging, scratching and the inability to resurface them have led many to believe that they can do better. I have seen the results of people testing shields with shotgun blasts, but I would find it more convincing if everyday rocks on the road were used in the tests and showed catastrophic damage.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
rkimmel2 said:
I have considered everything you have to say and simply do not agree that this is a big issue. Maybe we need to hear from people out there who have had bad experiences with Cee Bailey shields. That could change my mind. In the meantime, there are reasons that people flock to non oem shields when they own BMWs and not all have to do with price. Lack of selection and style along with fogging, scratching and the inability to resurface them have led many to believe that they can do better. I have seen the results of people testing shields with shotgun blasts, but I would find it more convincing if everyday rocks on the road were used in the tests and showed catastrophic damage.
The video I included at the bottom of my post shows a large rock being thrown at both windshields - just about the same size as one that got stuck between the rear tires of my dually a couple of weeks ago. I was lucky it didn't come flying out at speed and nail someone behind me.

It was wedged in so hard I had to jack up the rear, deflate both tires and use a crow bar to pry it out! :wow:

I've tried many different windshields on my two LT's in 180K. For me the (polycarbonate) V-stream has been the best, hands down. No fogging like the BMW OEM has been known to do in humid climates and much more scratch resistant. I also have noticed that I'm not constantly fussing with the height adjustment all the time. It seems to have (for me anyway) a sweet spot.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts