BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My main desk-top computer picked yesterday to crash.....thank goodness for external HDs, all pics, music, and personal files were all stored there, whew!

But the new 'puter I bought had 8 on it....I must say the jury is most definitely still out. Maybe after I get accustom it will be better, but right now it's difficult navigating..

Any one else?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have had a Windows Phone for 2 years now. And Windows 8 is what I have been waiting for. Windows 8 will Link all your Windows 8 compatible devices. The applications will be shared. Your desktop, laptop, all-in-one, tablet, phone and Xbox will all share the same apps. Going to be pretty neat.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
I hear Windows 8 has a ton of new features, and they managed to keep a few old, familiar ones as well:

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
jkriner said:
I have had a Windows Phone for 2 years now. And Windows 8 is what I have been waiting for. Windows 8 will Link all your Windows 8 compatible devices. The applications will be shared. Your desktop, laptop, all-in-one, tablet, phone and Xbox will all share the same apps. Going to be pretty neat.
Sounds like what Apple has had....for years.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I knew this would bring out unwarranted snide comments from the 8 percenter's. :rolleyes:

Why don't you FanBoys leave the 92% of users have their conversations without unwarranted, unwanted comments?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm waiting for the new tablet running windows 8 (not Windows RT). Thinking it should run my Garmin and photo software and would take up far less room on the bike than my current laptop. It's WIFI only but I can use my Droid phone as a hot spot so all should be good. Never understood this Apple Cult thing. I've worked with both apple and windows products over the years and cannot say that I prefer one over the other.

·
Registered
616 Posts
TWheels said:
I'm waiting for the new tablet running windows 8 (not Windows RT). Thinking it should run my Garmin and photo software and would take up far less room on the bike than my current laptop....
+!
This promises to be the killer device for traveling on the bike.

Right now, it's either a MacBook Air or a Windows Ultrabook. The Surface with Windows really looks interesting, as it promises the best of both worlds...tablet size and ease of use for casual things, plus Windows apps compatibility for doing work (like route planning).

I love my iPad, but it just won't do everything I need when I'm in the road. It might get to make the trip, but if it does it's in addition to my laptop, not instead of it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
jkriner said:
We've also got Windows Phones and yes, they are very similar. Even prior to Windows 8, when my wife got her Windows Phone it was her first phone, either regular or smart phone, that I never had to show her to use and that she found easy to use.

About the jury being out on Win 8, it sure is. We've had a beta since February and there was a bit of a learning curve, even with the experience of the phones beforehand. But we got used to it, I just haven't downloaded our updates for our desktop and laptop yet.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Kathy has been very frustrated with the Windows 8 learning curve.
It seems that a touch screen is really what would be needed on a computer to enjoy the "benefits" of the new OS.
Explorer keeps crashing, and you cannot view Facebook pictures using Explorer (the cure is running Mozilla or other browser).
Then again this is the Beta version...
The jury is still out for now,

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guess it all a matter of what you like...myself I want to drive and so far 8 seems to be in the driver's seat.

for example...when i opened a picture, the 'puter says it has an app that will do this and it opens a windows media app . :cussing: just seems to be over kill.

ebay is another.

hopefully I can figure it out and move back into the driver's seat.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Here's what I found out about Windows 8 Consumer Preview (Beta) and it's included Internet Explorer. Don't use it. The default one was not showing pictures, would not play videos, etc. There were issues with it. I found that if you downloaded and used Internet Explorer 9 or 10, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox it fixed all that.

I hope they fixed all that in the release version though.

And yes it does seem more suited to a touch screen but there are mouse techniques for all of it.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
dshealey said:
I knew this would bring out unwarranted snide comments from the 8 percenter's. :rolleyes:

Why don't you FanBoys leave the 92% of users have their conversations without unwarranted, unwanted comments?
My, aren't we just a little sensitive....

Sorry, after years of Windows frustration I sometimes just lose myself with my Apple product enjoyment.

Now, back to the 92%ers.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
pickerbiker said:
My, aren't we just a little sensitive....

Sorry, after years of Windows frustration I sometimes just lose myself with my Apple product enjoyment.

Now, back to the 92%ers.
Sorry, after years of seeing snide, non-helpful comments from Apple FanBoys, it gets very, very old. Some Apple users (the FanBoys) seem to have a strong "holier than thou" attitude, and unfortunately are not reluctant to laud it. Rarely see a constructive comment from one. If one has nothing constructive to say regarding the original posters question, then why enter into the conversation?

I have absolutely NOTHING against Apple products, could possibly own one myself in the future, given a REASON to incur the added expense.

There are MILLIONS of PC owners, including myself, who have only had minor annoyances over the years, never anything that would make me want to go through the expense and learning curve of changing. Part of it is that all the companies I have worked for over the decades used MS operating systems as their standard, NONE have used Apple, so you get heavy into learning and using that product, and learn nothing of the competition. Mainly I have been a CAD user, None of the major CAD companies have supported MACs. I have actually seen a couple MACs, never had the opportunity to actually touch one though.

I am NOT a MS fan, there are certainly things I have not liked over the years, but there is usually little reason for a competent, knowledgeable user to switch. The worst Windows I had was '95, but that was well over a decade ago. Win7 is quite good. I don't know of anything someone could show me on a MAC that would make it worth thinking about a switch.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
dshealey said:
Sorry, after years of seeing snide, non-helpful comments from Apple FanBoys, it gets very, very old.

[snip]

... Win7 is quite good. I don't know of anything someone could show me on a MAC that would make it worth thinking about a switch.
David has, as per usual, expressed perfectly the sentiments of sooo many Windows users (and professionals).
I have nothing to add ... well done Mr. Shealey. :clapping:

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
dshealey said:
Sorry, after years of seeing snide, non-helpful comments from Apple FanBoys, it gets very, very old. Some Apple users (the FanBoys) seem to have a strong "holier than thou" attitude, and unfortunately are not reluctant to laud it. Rarely see a constructive comment from one. If one has nothing constructive to say regarding the original posters question, then why enter into the conversation?

I have absolutely NOTHING against Apple products, could possibly own one myself in the future, given a REASON to incur the added expense.

There are MILLIONS of PC owners, including myself, who have only had minor annoyances over the years, never anything that would make me want to go through the expense and learning curve of changing. Part of it is that all the companies I have worked for over the decades used MS operating systems as their standard, NONE have used Apple, so you get heavy into learning and using that product, and learn nothing of the competition. Mainly I have been a CAD user, None of the major CAD companies have supported MACs. I have actually seen a couple MACs, never had the opportunity to actually touch one though.

I am NOT a MS fan, there are certainly things I have not liked over the years, but there is usually little reason for a competent, knowledgeable user to switch. The worst Windows I had was '95, but that was well over a decade ago. Win7 is quite good. I don't know of anything someone could show me on a MAC that would make it worth thinking about a switch.
On the positive side, I bought Microsoft stock a few months ago on the assumption Windows 8 will be a smash success. :D

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
on the assumption Windows 8 will be a smash success.
well so far it's a thumbs down here...the more I mess with it the less I likey.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
FrankNitti said:
well so far it's a thumbs down here...the more I mess with it the less I likey.
Sounds like what Apple has had....for years. ;)

Relax it was just a Joke...

·
Registered
241 Posts
dshealey said:

I actually have both! I use my PC for CAD, like you do. And, believe it or not, I'm still using XP! It has always been stable, and I figure why screw up a good thing! I also have a MacBook Pro, because I think it's more stable for professional video editing software - just my take. I do my diligence when deciding what to purchase, and don't really care whether it's an Apple or a PC. I like the iPad Mini, wish it was cheaper. I like the Lenova Yoga - very versatile. And, I do have an iPhone - love it!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
L_Rudy said:
I actually have both! I use my PC for CAD, like you do. And, believe it or not, I'm still using XP! It has always been stable, and I figure why screw up a good thing! ------------------------------------------------------!
I used XP at home reliably until just a few months ago, finally upgraded to Win 7. I Like it. We now have our desktop and a netbook on Win 7.

I was working for a Northrop Grumman subsidiary until about a month ago, and they are still on XP, with the 64 bit version on our engineering work stations. Northrop Grumman has started rolling out Win 7 upgrades, but the subsidiary I was working at was holding off because they still had a couple applications without an upgrade to Win 7. As soon as they get applications to replace them (PC Board layout, and ERP system), they will go to Win 7.

I will likely not upgrade to Win 8 at home for a LONG time, as all I read leads me to believe it is really not much for desktop use without a touch screen. Probably wait on Win 9, or whatever is next.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts