BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been gone a week and I turn on my old Dell computer, do some work and before it shuts down, an "update to Windows 7 is loaded. The next time I turn on the computer, it will not open. My wife says I have the BLUE SCREEN problem! I have tried everything I can think of ( system repair disc) to get it to open in the SAFE MODE, but it won't recognize the USB or disc drives. I do not have the installation disc, but even if I did, the drive is not recognized. I have a recent mirror backup. It it just time to upgrade? When I hit F8 and then SAFE MODE, it just goes in a circle and back to windows boot manager. I'm very open to suggestions...

·
Registered
193 Posts
You might try rebooting from a different location (I think you press f2 or something like that on a Dell: this is before the "safe mode" options). The boot settings will override things like the USB or DVD drive boot (sometimes). From this boot menu you can set up the boot device order and possibly get the DVD or USB to boot.

Another possible option is to remove the hard drive and install it as a slave drive to another machine. This will allow you to get everything off it if you don't want to lose some photos, data, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I'll give both a try...

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
I've been gone a week and I turn on my old Dell computer, do some work and before it shuts down, an "update to Windows 7 is loaded. The next time I turn on the computer, it will not open. My wife says I have the BLUE SCREEN problem! I have tried everything I can think of ( system repair disc) to get it to open in the SAFE MODE, but it won't recognize the USB or disc drives. I do not have the installation disc, but even if I did, the drive is not recognized. I have a recent mirror backup. It it just time to upgrade? When I hit F8 and then SAFE MODE, it just goes in a circle and back to windows boot manager. I'm very open to suggestions...
Please provide a little more details of what you mean when you said that it won't open window? Did windows start up at all? What did you see on screen while the computer was trying to start?

Important to know because the problem might be hardware related rather than windows related. If your computer is more than, say, 4 years old, the problem could be simply that the little battery on your motherboard (used to keep the data in the CMOS alive) is dead. That battery is not rechargeable, and will typically last about 4-5 years. When it dies, the computer's CMOS simply "forgets" your computer's set-up. It is very easy to replace, if that is the problem. The symptom that you had described fits.

BTW, you will get an upgrade to Windows 10 for free! This should be coming any days now.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Is there any chance that you enabled an automatic upgrade to Windows 10. We had been warned by our IT folk that this was a possibility.

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
Is there any chance that you enabled an automatic upgrade to Windows 10. We had been warned by our IT folk that this was a possibility.
That process haven't started yet. Windows 10 have been released, but the updates will take more time for the implementation. May be another month?

·
Registered
542 Posts
That process haven't started yet. Windows 10 have been released, but the updates will take more time for the implementation. May be another month?
I don't think that is entirely true. There are many posts already of auto updates if people allowed the installation of a small file named KB3035583, which allowed auto upgrade to 10.
I believe many machines have already been inadvertently upgraded, at least according to posts I have seen. Our IT manager mentioned July 29 as the start of these auto upgrades.
Ed

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please provide a little more details of what you mean when you said that it won't open window? Did windows start up at all? What did you see on screen while the computer was trying to start?

Important to know because the problem might be hardware related rather than windows related. If your computer is more than, say, 4 years old, the problem could be simply that the little battery on your motherboard (used to keep the data in the CMOS alive) is dead. That battery is not rechargeable, and will typically last about 4-5 years. When it dies, the computer's CMOS simply "forgets" your computer's set-up. It is very easy to replace, if that is the problem. The symptom that you had described fits.

BTW, you will get an upgrade to Windows 10 for free! This should be coming any days now.
The message I get when windows starts up is:

WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER

1. Insert windows installation disc and restart computer.
2. choose language
3. click repair computer.

Info: The boot selection failed because a required devise is inaccessible.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might try rebooting from a different location (I think you press f2 or something like that on a Dell: this is before the "safe mode" options). The boot settings will override things like the USB or DVD drive boot (sometimes). From this boot menu you can set up the boot device order and possibly get the DVD or USB to boot.

Another possible option is to remove the hard drive and install it as a slave drive to another machine. This will allow you to get everything off it if you don't want to lose some photos, data, etc.
I changed the BOOT order, but USB and disc are ignored.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Getting Windows 10 might be a solution except that I can't get on the internet to download it.

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts

WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER

2. choose language

Have somebody take a look at replacing that little battery that I had mentioned! When the CMOS lost its memory, it simply forgot where to look to find your hard drive, nor how the computer was configured! This is the correct symptom. Sometimes the symptom is as if your hard drive had failed.

Reactions: DanDiver

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Have somebody take a look at replacing that little battery that I had mentioned! When the CMOS lost its memory, it simply forgot where to look to find your hard drive, nor how the computer was configured! This is the correct symptom. Sometimes the symptom is as if your hard drive had failed.
Thanks - I'll open it up tonight. Looks like a 3 volt battery. Does it just slide out? The battery is reading 2.75 volts. Probably won't hurt to replace it. I'll get a new one tomorrow. Came out pretty easily.

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
Thanks - I'll open it up tonight. Is there any way to know what the voltage should be?
I don't know what the exact voltage should be, but it's usually a 3v lithium battery (CR2032).

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's 3 volts and it measures 2.75. CR2032. I'll replace it in the morning and then give it try... Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
It's 3 volts and it measures 2.75. CR2032. I'll replace it in the morning and then give it try... Thanks!!
Remember that after replacing the battery, you have to get into the BIOS to configure it all over again!

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I replaced the battery and I'm back to where I started. No change!

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One error I was getting before battery change was "memory read/write failure...amount of system memory has changed".
also, BSOD was "Drive - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and a mention of mcupdate.dll which seems to be a
Dell thing...??

·
Registered
4,341 Posts

WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER

2. choose language

To me, this looks like a hardware failure of the hard drive or the internal disk controller on the main board.

Another possibility is that something corrupted the hard drive and it can't be read. Without a boot CD, to see if the machine is capable of loading the install routine, you are at a disadvantage.

If you have a Best Buy or Frys near by, you can take out the hard drive and try putting it in an external enclosure with a USB converter and plug it into another computers USB port to see if the drive is accessible. You would have to know if it is a old PATA interface or the more likely newer SATA interface to know what type of external enclosure to get. They are pretty cheap. If you have trouble with it on another computer, it is likely a drive failure.

You can also listen to the drive in the enclosure as you plug it in to see if you hear it spin up or does it just click some indicating a motor or driver failure.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,040 Posts
I replaced the battery and I'm back to where I started. No change!
Did you get into the BIOS to do the configurations? All the configuration data have been lost when the battery died, and you need to get in there and set all the data such as: time, date, but more important what hard drive is in the computer. If you have more than one HD, it will need to know which one to boot from.

To get into the BIOS, look at the screen as the computer is powering up. It should tell you what key to press, but you have to be very quick and press that key while it's still going through the diagnostic mode, otherwise you will have to restart it again. For most computers, the key that you need to press to get into the BIOS configuration screen is the "Del." key, but I think it's different with the Dell. From memory, it might be the F1 key, but the data should be in your manual. It had been too many years since I had touched a Dell!

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
update on the error messages
memory write/read failure at 60044210 read 04EB00EB expecting 04EB04ED
memory address line failure at 60050000 read 00000000 expecting FAFAFAFA

1 - 20 of 40 Posts