BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share a fix I came up with while I was dealing with wind noise on my vox boom mic.

The wife and I use a Cardo Pack talk bold to communicate and to listen to music. The radio on the bike went out and being it was 20 years old I decided not to put any money into fixing it.

We bought the Cardo system and have thoroughly enjoyed it. One issue though has been plaguing us. While riding the wind can trip the vox boom mics and it is irritating. The system is designed to cut the music down to half of the level you are listening to so the one speaking can be heard. It is frustrating to have you music level to cut down to half level when no one is talking.

I took my boom mic cover off to look in to the possibility of making a thicker foam mic cover in hopes it would reduce the wind from tripping the vox.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel

When I uncovered the mic, I noticed it had two sides to it, both of them with tiny slits in each face for the soundwaves to get into the mic. I also noticed they way my mic was attached to my helmet made one side face directly to the front and the other side faced the helmet wearer. The side of the mic facing forward was marked with a yellow arrow. Not sure why the arrow is there though....

Audio equipment Composite material Carbon Gadget Metal

I decided to try an experiment. Since there are two sides to the mic and one of them faces forward, I decided to tape up the side of the mic facing forward thinking the wind noise was coming in on that side.

Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Tread

After taping up the mic I put the cover back on it and tested it out. Since covering the forward facing side on the mic with tape, neither of us have had any issues with wind tripping the vox and causing unnecessary interruptions in our music.

Just thought I would post my fix in case anyone else out there was having the same issue.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nice fix, not sure how effective though. Those are noise canceling mics. Theory is that noise enters front side and a similar noise enters rear side,thus canceling each other out leaving just your voice. This is done via a dual membrane mic. It is like hitting both sides of a drum at the same time. Fix is probably like you have done just to lessen the outside noise that may be overwhelming this function Thus giving balance.
When done if it works great!

Autocom did this on their mics also and had a kit that would be for open faced helmets. A piece of felt for the out side of the mic and a larger wind sock open on the opposite side. It would be nice if Cardo or Sena did this also.

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
225 Posts
"The side of the mic facing forward was marked with a yellow arrow. "

Just FYI, the Yellow Arrow side of the mike should be facing your mouth, and the other side should be facing forward. (According to the Cardo Installation Instructions.)

We use the Cardo FreecomX and it has the same markings and instructions. The noise-cancellation is extremely effective on these units in my experience.

Ride safe -
Larry

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here's your problem, the yellow triangle should be facing your mouth.
From Cardo's website

"Friends tell me my voice doesn’t come out clear. What can I do?
If you are using a boom mic, make sure your mic is as close to your mouth as possible. Search for the small yellow triangle near the boom and make sure it faces your mouth. If the issue is noise from wind turbulence, put a larger mic sponge on the mic to help reduce it. The larger sponge is included in your package accessories. If you cannot find it you can purchase it as part of a replacement microphone."

(it took me an age to find it, as I remember reading it but it's not in most of their literature. )

- scroll down to the FAQs

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting replies....
The reason the arrow is facing away from my mouth on my installation is the way my helmet is set up to take a boom mic. There appears to be a natural indentation just the right size for my boom mic stem and it will only accept the boom mic in the position I have in now.
Granted I did not use the velcro tabs to install it, I went with a stronger method of affixing the boom with pieces of wire to hold it more securely. Thinking back to the installation, if I did use the velcro tabs the arrow would be facing my mouth.
All in all, we don't get the vox tripping from the wind now so I count it as a win.
I may play around with the velcro tabs and see If I can mount it securely enough from my tastes and try out the intended installation method.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts