BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ya or nah. The haul road for some that do not know is the road that goes from Fairbanks to Deadhorse and is all gravel. Some say yes so say no. Which is it?? I want to know. :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Depends on the weather and it can turn ugly quick - crap shoot.

If it's dry have at it but if it gets wet at all it would be a huge challenge the roads turn into kind of like greased snot.

Head over to thr Great White North forum on ADVrider dot com

Dave

·
Registered
562 Posts
Maybe, if it is dry. I would not attempt if it is raining. Be very, very careful with a bike of the LT's weight.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
dronning said:
If it's dry have at it but if it gets wet at all it would be a huge challenge the roads turn into kind of like greased snot.
If it's worse than that sugar-sand that John likes dropping his bike in so much, he's SCREWED! :eek:

·
Registered
703 Posts
motorman587 said:
Ya or nah. The haul road for some that do not know is the road that goes from Fairbanks to Deadhorse and is all gravel. Some say yes so say no. Which is it?? I want to know. :)

Actually, the Haul road is not all gravel. When I rode it on the '01 Iron Butt, it was about 35 to 40% chip sealed. They were working on chip-sealing the rest, which made for some terrible conditions in the construction zones. A friend of mine, who was up there in '03, told me it was in a lot better shape than in '01. That being said, I concur with the other posters; if it's raining, any of the gravel sections will be a crap shoot. But hell, that's the definition of adventure, right? For what it's worth, if Deadhorse is a doable bonus on this year's 'Butt, I'll be heading north!

GB

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
motorman587 said:
The bike will, It's all up to the pilot ! That being said the forcast may be dry but shit happends.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going for it.

Joe,
Dropped it only once and I did not wuss out and buy a light bike. ;)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Go to the BMWON magazine for March 2007 read the story of Doug Raymond.
HOW NOT TO RIDE THE HAUL ROAD.
Starts on page 52.

I know Doug, an you can belive every word.

If you wish to e-mail doug, PM me and I will give you his address.

IMHO, the LT is to big a bike for that trip.

Having said that, if I were 30 years younger, that challenge would have to be taken!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Go for it!

Just for the record, Asa McFadden rode a brand new LT up to Deadhorse and back on the first leg of the '01 Iron Butt. He told me he thought he was better off than the guys on the GSs because the LT's center of gravity was lower and he could reach the ground better on the LT.

GB

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
motorman587 said:
Joe,
Dropped it only once and I did not wuss out and buy a light bike. ;)
Yea...you best stick with LTs and RTs. You couldn't handle the HP of a bike like the GT. Besides, just how much power does one need to ride in parking lots and parades? :histerica

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
murray said:
The bike will, It's all up to the pilot ! That being said the forcast may be dry but shit happends.
Good Luck!
This is correct, Terry did it on a full dress pig pulling a trailer, (he did dump once at very low speed in deep gravel) It is all up to the rider.
If it gets sloppy, slow ride parade style, rev's up, back brake, slight drag, feather clutch, NO FRONT BRAKE.
Rock

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I've ridden my LT at 70 mph on smooth, straight dirt/light gravel roads balancing on my toes while keeping a light grip with no problems. If you are forced to ride slow and in deep gravel it will be HELL. Mud would be a nightmare.

One thing I might recommend is building an inexpensive mud flap/extension for the front fender to keep your chin spoiler and underbelly from getting trashed.

http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=K1200LT&Number=166895&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&vc=1

I ended up using black plastic "Christmas tree" serrated fasteners to attach them instead of the rivets and bolts, looks better and will not corrode over time,

·
Registered
54 Posts
I lived in Alaska for 21 years and rode the Haul Road 3 times, one on a GS and twice in a Triumph Tiger. Yup, the road is getting "better" (?) but it's still not to be trifled with. You'd best be able to pick your bike up by yourself (or bring help!) and you better be able to repair a flat tire. I had 3 flats in one day, one caused by a drywall screw where you shouldn't see a drywall screw!

You might want to pare down the luggage and leave the top box in Fairbanks. If it's raining, it's no fun no matter what type of bike you have.

The truckers are pretty good folk. They do seem to try to give as much room as they can. My issue was/is with the folks in motorhomes or pickup trucks trying to make time.

Bring a camera and lots of batteries. It's a vista that you'll NEVER forget.

Darrell

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am getting more yeses. Sweet.

I have picked up many of bikes, on asphalt, dirt, mud etc......... Police motor instructor, so picking up the LT is should be no big deal. Riding with two others, so if help is needed, got it. I bought a tire gun repair kit from Whitehorse. Debiting to buy a spray on bra, then again I may want the battle scares. :) Packing light. 4 riding pants and 8 of everything else, plus the heated stuff. Pants and vest.

Man, can not wait to go!!!!!!!!!!! 12 more days and counting. I should count the hours and minutes too.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you read the other post?

messenger13 said:
Yea...you best stick with LTs and RTs. You couldn't handle the HP of a bike like the GT. Besides, just how much power does one need to ride in parking lots and parades? :histerica
Joe,
Did you read about the part, about slow speed handling on the Haul Road???? See, huh?? See, huh??? Does come to use. :)

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I passed on the Dalton when I was in Alaska with my LT in 2004. But when I returned in 2005 on a GS, found the road wouldn't have been that big a deal for the LT at least as far as the Arctic Circle where we turned around. The road was dry to pretty dry and except for one short section that was being graded was good hard pack. YMMV. We started out averaging around 35 to 45 mph expecting the road to turn to crap anytime until we got passed by two Goldwings (1500 & 1800) and a Venture. The whole line of us returned to Fairbanks at 50-60 except the Venture who was going to Deadhorse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts