BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost done rebuilding a 1005 LT that I got last fall, it was wrecked and in very bad state. I 'm finished with the gas tank and most of the wiring, still have to put the plastic together. I have tried to start it but it will not turn over nor do I hear the fuel pump running. Is there a reset I should know about or maybe it's the key, is it the kind that has a transponder into it? I'm puzzled! The centerstand will not deploy either, light will flash but no action what should I try, all of you geniuses out there in internetland???
P.S. it has a brand new fully charged battery. :confused:

·
Registered
460 Posts
dencla said:
I'm almost done rebuilding a 1005 LT
Did they have batteries 1000 years ago :rolleyes: Sorry, couldn't resist. Are you sure the battery is fully charged? A weak battery won't drive the centrestand or the started, but will fire up a light.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've had one battery that I thought was fully charged but had a dead plate inside. No cranking amps at all. If you have a tester and put it on the terminals of the battery, what voltage does it read?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
jamesgoodchild said:
I've had one battery that I thought was fully charged but had a dead plate inside. No cranking amps at all. If you have a tester and put it on the terminals of the battery, what voltage does it read?
Hey, James - my Toad doesn't have an alarm, so this may be a dumb question, butt.... wouldn't his '05 have an alarm? And if the system is armed, would he be able to activate the fuel pump? And the centerstand? Just curious.

Also, he might wanna make sure the reverse lever is fully forward and not partially engaged. The bike won't start if it's in reverse.

Other than those two thangs, I'll wait to hear from the site gurus to git him going.

·
Senior Member (ret.)
10,857 Posts
If you forgot to connect the wire on top of the gas tank and the one below to the right, you will have fuel pump issues. Let's hope you did not connect the power outlet wires on the right side to the fuel pump wires (I don't think they can be connected but you never know).

Is the starter crancking? If not, I'd check the battery.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
dencla said:
I'm almost done rebuilding a 1005 LT that I got last fall, it was wrecked and in very bad state. I 'm finished with the gas tank and most of the wiring, still have to put the plastic together. I have tried to start it but it will not turn over nor do I hear the fuel pump running. Is there a reset I should know about or maybe it's the key, is it the kind that has a transponder into it? I'm puzzled! The centerstand will not deploy either, light will flash but no action what should I try, all of you geniuses out there in internetland???
P.S. it has a brand new fully charged battery. :confused:
If it's a newer model with the alarm, that's probably your issue. The alarm automatically sets itself and the bike won't start. If you don't have the remotes then you'll have to take the bike to the dealer or try removing the alarm (it's under the top box)

The center stand doesn't work if you are touching either brake and the bike must be in neutral...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here's the situation: the bike was bought in Pomona, Ca, was in a crash , I bought it on the net and it came on a pallet w/no wheels, no centerstand, trans was broken where the centerstand bolts to it, no exhaust, no sidestand, ignition switch broken, etc..
Now: almost all fixed up, new (used) ignition sw, exhaust, centerstand w/sidestand, trans was welded up, new sidestand sw, missing a "hall effect sensor" for centerstand ( bypassed the wires with no effect ) Fuel tank installed w/very little fuel in it, both plugs connected, (upper and lower). The bike has an alarm, I have the remote and can switch it to on or off but when I try to progran it, it sounds 4 beeps (supposed to be three?). The dashboard lights up and the "Brake failure" flashes 1/sec, and I cannot hear the fuel pump ( should I?). Maybe I need to go to the dealer to have the computer reset?? I still have to try some suggestions posted here like pushing the connection wire at the starter fully in and double checking all plugs. Thanks to all for shedding light in a dark tunnel, Denis

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ted!! You got it!

You put your finger right on the problem!! I thought I had tried everything and went to the bike without much confidence but the thing just started up!! Thanks a lot, hope to be able to help someone like that sometime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts