BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my dealer the other day, and decided to sit upon a used GT they had. It was on the centerstand, and the salesman instructed me to put one foot on the foot peg (the one on the shifter side) as I mounted the bike. Doing so, he said, would prevent me from hitting the saddlebags on the way up. It worked.

Due to my vertically challenged nature (I'm really a meatball with legs), my driver seat has accumlated a number of scuffs as my boots lighty scraped the top of the seat. Mounting the bike is not a pretty site.

Today, the bike was on the sidestand, and I tried, the foot on the foot peg method of mounting the bike. Man, what a difference. Putting my left foot, on the left peg, allowed me to get high enough in the air to easily swing my right leg over, and not even coming close to the driver or passenger seat.

But, before I continue this practice, I was wondering if i may inadvertently be doing damage to the foot peg?

Thanks.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Mount up

No problems.

I always mounted my LT that way and I do the same on my GS Adv. Kaye does the same using the passenger pegs when she gets on.

Dave

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dronning said:
No problems.

I always mounted my LT that way and I do the same on my GS Adv. Kaye does the same using the passenger pegs when she gets on.

Dave
Giddyap!

Thanks

·
Bouncer
9,315 Posts
Not at all. When I have a bunch of luggage on the rear seat, doing the footpeg stepover mount is the only way I can really get on the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Big difference between that method of mounting when a bike is on the centerstand and when it's on the sidestand. The centerstand locks, on every bike but harleys (bastards wouldn't share the patent for the locking mechanism), using a sidestand/jiffystand/kickstand does NOT ensure stability, even if you use proper parking technique of turning off the engine, rocking the bike forward in gear with the clutch out, then putting the sidestand down.

Will you cause harm to the footpeg? Nope.

Will you potentially dump the bike if it's on the sidestand and not on the centerstand using this method to mount the bike if it moves, if you inadvertently left it in neutral, if you happen to bump the gearshift as you step on the peg, or if there's any slack in the drivetrain from parking it? Could be.

Could this cause expensive cosmetic damage, embarassment, and potential serious physical injury? OH YEAH.

Centerstand...help yerself. Sidestand, don't do it.

My two cents, feel free to return change.

Pete

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
petevandyke said:
Will you cause harm to the footpeg? Nope.

Will you potentially dump the bike if it's on the sidestand and not on the centerstand using this method to mount the bike if it moves, if you inadvertently left it in neutral, if you happen to bump the gearshift as you step on the peg, or if there's any slack in the drivetrain from parking it? Could be.

Could this cause expensive cosmetic damage, embarassment, and potential serious physical injury? OH YEAH.

Centerstand...help yerself. Sidestand, don't do it.

My two cents, feel free to return change.

Pete
Thanks for the advice. Greatly accepted.

My bike is always in first gear when I turn it off. That's a practice I started the day I started riding. Of course, I'm not saying that someday I won't forget...

About using the centerstand...I've been hesitant to use it because of the posts I've read about the bike falling over, if not on completely level ground.

I do use the centerstand whenever the Grey Ghost is in my garage, but haven't used it other than that.

Any road advice on when/when not to use the centerstand?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,902 Posts
stefeb said:
Any road advice on when/when not to use the centerstand?
All I have to offer is some times when I deploy the center stand both tires end up on the deck - too risky I'll move it until the rear is in the air. I have parked on a slight slope with the center stand and it felt good dismounting but she almost fell over (felt her tip when I stepped on the peg) when I mounted her. Won't do that again. Level ground or she goes on the side stand.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Been getting on the bike like that fer years. Just keep it in 1st gear so it doesn't roll forward. I occasionally stand up on the footpegs while riding depending on the road serface. There made for it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Another way to insure that the bike doesn't go forward is to turn the bars to the right, then grap the front brake before you put all your weight on the peg that should keep the bike from moving even if you hit the shifter.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies/advice/encouragement.

This board continues to amaze me with the depth of knowledge found here. Even more, the willingness to share that knowledge is a rare commodity these days.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Always get on my GS adventure that way, due to short legs, paniers and a small rear bag. I also reach the right grip and apply the front brake, even with the bike in gear, prior to getting on the bike. Just a habit.

My side stand does have a larger "foot print". Never had any issues with the side stand. I have dropped a RT 1100 putting it on the center stand when the elongated arm, where you put you foot to lift the bike, broke off. Rust under this part, up against the center stand leg rusted throught. The rust could not be seen on the stand (bike had 33,000 miles on it). I now spray some lubricant into this unseen junction. If this part fails, your bike hits the ground before you can figure out what is going on.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
dmatson said:
Another way to insure that the bike doesn't go forward is to turn the bars to the right, then grap the front brake before you put all your weight on the peg that should keep the bike from moving even if you hit the shifter.
I've used this technique without incident with both the side and center stands. Being careful where I park and using the front brake while mounting I've never experienced a butt pucker while doing so.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I sometimes mount from the right side by standing on the right side peg when the bike is on the sidestand - seems to work pretty well because you don't put as much weight on the sidestand that way - grabbing brake is also easier and good form.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I do that when the bike is on the centerstand, but on the sidestand I'm not so sure it'a a safe way to mount.
Any movement and the side stand can fold in and bring the 800 pounds plus you to the floor...

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
My one and a half cents on when to use the center stand ONLY ON SOLID FLAT SURFACES

I know this guy pretty well that on the second day he had the bike he was showing off the hydraulic center stand to some of his closest bike challenged (NON LT OWNERS) friends. The surface was concrete but slightly up hill and slightly sloping off to the right. All went well and all were appropriately impressed...

Until 'my friend' went to leave and as he pushed it forward off the stand over to the right she went.

Needless to say that also impressed my I mean his friends as well... :eek:

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
As long as it level and flat, mounting using the left foot peg is not an issue. I started doing it after I watched Jay Slomka do it at Spring Training Camp at Iron Horse. If it is nose down in way, shape or form, then it is foot on the ground and slide over. YMMV.

·
Registered
460 Posts
That's the best way to mount any horse!

stefeb said:
Today, the bike was on the sidestand, and I tried, the foot on the foot peg method of mounting the bike. Man, what a difference. Putting my left foot, on the left peg, allowed me to get high enough in the air to easily swing my right leg over, and not even coming close to the driver or passenger seat.

But, before I continue this practice, I was wondering if i may inadvertently be doing damage to the foot peg?

Thanks.
...only the horse should be fully upright and in its' locked position!
I've mounting most of my bikes that way for decades -- whenever I'm feeling stiff or the rear seat is loaded up with camping gear. The footpegs are built to take several G's from a heavy rider. IOW, DITTO to the others who said it's o.k.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
stefeb said:
...I do use the centerstand whenever the Grey Ghost is in my garage, but haven't used it other than that...
Stefeb, since you've already received several good replies, I have just one question for you (OK, two questions):

1. "Gray Ghost"?
2. How long have you been using that name? Someone told me it was taken!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I used to mount my Vstrom that way. I mount the LT that way on the centerstand. When on the sidestand, I usually pull my leg up and go in front of me over the driver seat. I'm not very graceful. Have thrown leg over rear and usually catch boot on backpad. So I can get my foot up and catch my pant leg and help it over frontseat if necessary. I just hate it when I forget and end up on the bike backwards..... : )

Rando

·
Registered
285 Posts
Will you damage the peg? Just how much do you weigh?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts