BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I searched the forum, but found nothing detailed on installing a Wilbers rear shock. I started out with the rear shock as that looked easiest, but I found that it has interference issues both top and bottom in what I thought was the correct orientation and interference on the side in the other orientation.

I sent pictures to Ted at BeemerShop and spoke with him briefly on the phone, but he had put another customer on hold to take my call thinking it was quick. When it wasn't, he said he would call me back after reviewing the pictures I had emailed.

It appears to me that all would be well if the preload hose was rotated outwards rather than inwards. I may still need to bend the brake fitting a little to clear the fill port plug, but that only hits when at full down travel which won't happen all that often. I don't want to loosen the preload hose for fear or introducing air, but was wondering if anyone here has been down this path and encountered and solved the same issue.

I made a video showing the issue more clearly as I rotate the shock to simulate swing-arm movement, but youtube is acting up and won't upload my video.

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
Perhaps this helps (in case you haven't seen it).
It's fun to watch anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps this helps (in case you haven't seen it).
It's fun to watch anyways.

I watched it before starting mine, but these are Hyperpro shocks and a rather different design than the Wilbers at the rear. I didn't see any clearance issues and Kirk didn't mention any. I am still looking for a Wilbers video. Must be one out there somewhere!

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
I think you are moving it too much. It does not move very much throughout the 130 mm of travel. My Wilber, although an ESA version is quite similar but my preload hose was on the side of the shock. May have been how I re-assembled it after I changed the minimum preload (it was too high from the factory). Once I did that I was getting 38 mm of static sag where before it was only 28 mm.

Also on that brake fitting did you secure it with that small bolt (#5)? It should not be wiggling around like that.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you are moving it too much. It does not move very much throughout the 130 mm of travel. My Wilber, although an ESA version is quite similar but my preload hose was on the side of the shock. May have been how I re-assembled it after I changed the minimum preload (it was too high from the factory). Once I did that I was getting 38 mm of static sag where before it was only 28 mm.

Also on that brake fitting did you secure it with that small bolt (#5)? It should not be wiggling around like that.
Your nitrogen fill port is on top which is how I wanted to orient mine, but that put the hose in the wrong place. The fill port is what hits the banjo bolt. Yes, the bracket is attached with the screw, but the bracket is cantilevered quite a bit and wil flex if pushed.

Ted said I could loosen the lock ring and then spin the housing to orient the hose, however, I could not get it to budge with the spring pressure. How did you compress the spring to adjust the preload? I ended up loosening the hose fitting and turned it away from the frame and that fixed the top. Still would like to spin the housing 180 so I could put the fill port on top and get more clearance for the brake banjo bolt, but it looks OK now and only touches lightly at full extension.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
I was evaluating this new ESA shock for Klaus at EPM Performance and he sent me a spring compressor to make the adjustment. Once the spring is off everything else is easy. I can't see how it could be moved without it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was evaluating this new ESA shock for Klaus at EPM Performance and he sent me a spring compressor to make the adjustment. Once the spring is off everything else is easy. I can't see how it could be moved without it.
I may have to make me one of those...

I was going to try my car strut compressor, but I am sure it is too big.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How did you hold the top of the front shock when torquing the top nut?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
Impact wrench.

Reactions: saddleman
1 - 13 of 13 Posts