BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday I was able to take my newly shocked LT to the Georgia mountains and try the shocks out. I rode in the Dream House 500 fund raiser which ended up being 500km on some really great elevation changes and curves.

I had 12K on the stock shocks. My impressions of the new Wilbers are:

1. First thing I noticed was that in the dark getting to the mountains from where I lived the headlight shadow did not bounce as much as I had remembered.
2. The bike seemed to be sucked down to the road tighter at speeds over 40 and on road construction quality surfaces.
3. More predictable when I pointed it in a certain direction.
4. More precise in when I made input to the steering.
5. Less rider input needed in steering meaning to me somewhat less fatigue on a long ride.
6. Much more "fun". (Certainly subjective, but I had the same feeling when I put Ohlins on my GS Adventure)
7. So far, very well worth the money. (They come in two colors. I chose black because it was the fastest.)
8. On the ride home I noticed more of a harder feel on the slab. I suppose that is just an adjustment I will have to make from twisties to slab.

Now I just have to figure out how to dial them in to suit my riding style, as I road them with the BMW shop settings.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
tyroneteeth said:
Saturday I was able to take my newly shocked LT to the Georgia mountains and try the shocks

8. On the ride home I noticed more of a harder feel on the slab. I suppose that is just an adjustment I will have to make from twisties to slab.

Now I just have to figure out how to dial them in to suit my riding style, as I road them with the BMW shop settings.
I've played a little with the adjustment on mine trying to get the front a little softer on the highway, nothing has helped, although the mirrors are not getting bounced out of adjustment I still think the front is too stiff

over 10k miles on the new wilbers now

Tom

·
Registered
740 Posts
Just installed my Wilbers yesterday and have much the same impression. More precise for sure but a little harder ride on the open road to go along with it. My first notion was to start fiddling with the setup to soften it a little, only because it was "different" from what I had before. But after thinking about it, I might just leave it as is for a while and let them grow on me. Overall, it's good.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Ranger6 said:
Just installed my Wilbers yesterday and have much the same impression. More precise for sure but a little harder ride on the open road to go along with it. My first notion was to start fiddling with the setup to soften it a little, only because it was "different" from what I had before. But after thinking about it, I might just leave it as is for a while and let them grow on me. Overall, it's good.

you won't be able to soften up the front unless you back off the spring tension, that is a rebound adjuster not a compression adjuster on them

BTW hello!

Tom

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ride Awhile

I had the same thought just to give it some more time and see what I think later. But I think I can live with the harder front, given the other pluses.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I have over 10k miles on it now, and I liked it better new, it does not seem to have dropped ride height, although I can;t find my measurements any place now :(

Tom

·
Registered
836 Posts
Wilbers-

Just remember, your shocks will change somewhat as you get some miles on them. The springs will settle in and soften up a little.

I have about 12,000+ on mine and love them from day one.

Find the expansion joints to be softer.
Tracks in the mountains REALLY well.
No more scraping of center stand, just the pegs and my toes.
No more bottoming out on the curb coming into my drive.

Even my wife likes it better. She feels the bike is more stable for her as a passenger.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
mine seem harder on the expansion joints now than they did new.
installed 7/28/05 at 100,777miles, bike has 111,471 now

·
Registered
115 Posts
Remember to properly set the spring preload (bike sag) . If not enough preload the shock compresses into the stiffer part of the spring . Effect over sprung for small bumps. This is equally as bad as over preloading the spring. Now very important too much rebound dampening will not let the shock lenghten or rebound quick enough and can feel harsh with multiple road imperfections. The ride will also feel harsh with single impacts and to much rebound. Start reducing the rebound and test.

Pete aka murray

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I had made a post on the "other" site about this issue.

Basicly ... as you increase rebound damping, compression gets stiffer as well.
Reduce rebound and compression damping go's softer.

Found with my wilbers that "rear" needed 2 clics more rebound, "front" needed 2 clics less.

Once a perfect ballance was found, I like the stiff handling ** bike is rock solid feeling with total controll !!

Sure it's stiffer than stock ... HANDLES BETTER THOUGH! .. good trade in my book.

Scott

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
yup i did, I also loosened up the rebound some (three clicks actually)

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
did it reduce that unpleasant scraping that you get when you go around corners with the stock shocks? the LT drags pretty easily ... especially when you hit a small bump.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
oh heck yea!, but I got the option to raise ride height too

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Adjustment progress

I am working with the rear only at this time. The setting when I picked the bike up was full "-". I moved it to half way between - and + and found the rear raised slightly and the ride was firmer. I liked that. Next is to go full + and see what its like.

Do you think I can do the rear adjustment separately from the front, or do I need to do them together?

Do I need a special tool for the front or can I turn that dial with my hand? (I haven't received permission to touch it yet......:') )

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Scott, firm suspension is confidence inspiring ,I agree. But if you are logging serious miles in 1 or multiple days it will take a toll on you.
Pete

1 - 15 of 15 Posts