BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, Let me start by letting you know that I`m 5 feet 8 inches tall and weight 160 lbs against a 700 plus lbs bike and it really scares me if I`m sitting on the bike with no kick or center stand down then she hops on her left foot rest to get on it and puts lots of stress on me to handle the extra side weight and when she finally seats I`m putting so much counter weight to the right that the bike tends to go to the right since all her weight is allready off the left side. The wife is 5 feet 6 and not as heavy (pretty hot actually) (if I don`t put this on, she will kill me), any ways, any advice for her on how to get on the bike? will you guys get on it first? or after her? with center stand down? or side stand down? will apreciate any imput. Our other bike is a lowered stretched out hayabusa and is very easy to get on, and since this is our first big touring bike with no experience on it. will love to learn some tricks from the pros like you. Thank you all.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I put my LT on the center stand and the wife mounts up. Then I get on.

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that she is light as a feather and extremely hawt (in case she reads this).

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
mechanic said:
Ok guys, Let me start by letting you know that I`m 5 feet 8 inches tall and weight 160 lbs against a 700 plus lbs bike and it really scares me if I`m sitting on the bike with no kick or center stand down then she hops on her left foot rest to get on it and puts lots of stress on me to handle the extra side weight and when she finally seats I`m putting so much counter weight to the right that the bike tends to go to the right since all her weight is allready off the left side. The wife is 5 feet 6 and not as heavy (pretty hot actually) (if I don`t put this on, she will kill me), any ways, any advice for her on how to get on the bike? will you guys get on it first? or after her? with center stand down? or side stand down? will apreciate any imput. Our other bike is a lowered stretched out hayabusa and is very easy to get on, and since this is our first big touring bike with no experience on it. will love to learn some tricks from the pros like you. Thank you all.

I wouldn't recommend using the center stand or side stand. It is too hard to get off the center stand and the side stand leans over too far.

I'm 5'7" and my wife is 5'5". It is difficult for me also especially after just installing a corbin seat, I can't stand flat footed any more.

The way we do it is I get as stable as I can and counter the weight she puts on with my own weight. We use good communication, she won't get on or off until I am good and ready.

PS, my wife is hot too!!! :D

David

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried that but my light but is not heavy enough to push the bike off the center stand with her on. Now that I think about it , I did not ask her to help me lean forward to gain momentum and free the bike down forward :think:

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
dthogey said:
I wouldn't recommend using the center stand or side stand. It is too hard to get off the center stand and the side stand leans over too far.

I'm 5'7" and my wife is 5'5". It is difficult for me also especially after just installing a corbin seat, I can't stand flat footed any more.

The way we do it is I get as stable as I can and counter the weight she puts on with my own weight. We use good communication, she won't get on or off until I am good and ready.

PS, my wife is hot too!!! :D

David
Plus 1 & my wife is hot too. :D

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
The wet weight of the LT is more around 830 lbs. You didn't specify if your bike is a 99-04 or 05 and later, the big difference being the hydraulic center stand, and next being the lean angle on the side stand.
With bike on the center stand my HOT wife :D gets on first. That allows me to plug in her com cable. When dismounting I go first so I can unplug her com cable. I need to specify that I have a Bakup back-rest so it is a bit more difficult for her to mount/dismount.
With the bike on the side stand she also gets on first, and I also dismount first, but Kathy does not like the lean angle as it is much more pronounced on our 05 than on our 99 and 03 LTs.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Well you can do like I do, I have my left foot on the ground and the side stand in the down position. I have the side stand down just in case my foot slips my back up will be the side stand. Then I have her get on from the left side. She puts her left foot on the left foot peg and swings her right leg over.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It is a 2007 with hydraulic center stand.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
mechanic said:
I would not recommend loading while on the centerstand. I have trouble getting my LT off the centerstand while astraddle it when I am alone and the back and forward rock I have to do to get it off the stand would be difficult with the wife onboard. And I am 6', 225 lbs with a 32" inseam. I suspect you would have trouble.

The side stand is certainly a good way to go, although the LT leans over quite a bit on the sidestand so you will have to horse it a fair bit to stand the bike up once your wife is onboard.

The technique my wife and I use is this: I get on first and stand the bike up and stow the kick stand. I lean forward a little and keep my legs pretty close to the tank so as to stabilize the bike. She normally mounts from the left as with a horse, but sometimes will mount from the right if there is another bike close on our left side. Either way works the same for me. Once she indicates she is ready to board, I tilt the bike away from her so it is resting against my leg opposite the side she is on. It is not a huge tilt, maybe 5 degrees, 10 at the most. She then fairly quickly stands on the peg on her side extending her leg fully which allows her to easily get her other leg over the seat and sit down behind me. I basically don't hold the bars too rigidly and let her weight stand the bike from its tilted posiiton back to vertical.

We have gotten quite good at this and there is absolutely no drama. I can get the tilt so that when she boards the bike ends up back at vertical with almost no input from me at all. The two key things are getting the tilt angle right for your wife's weight and having her board in a fairly qiuck and fluid motion. The only time I had trouble was when my wife started to board and then for some reason stepped back off the bike. That caught me by surprise, but even that wasn't too big a deal.

I am sure there are other good techniques also, but this one works for us.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
:worthless

Your wives are hot only if you prove it with a picture. :rotf:

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Voyager said:
:worthless

Your wives are hot only if you prove it with a picture. :rotf:

I just spent half a day trying to figure out how to edit my signature and add a map!!! LOL

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank`s for the advices. I guess I`ll try some of the techniques and see how it works.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am 5'9" and what I do is after getting the bike off the center stand, I put the kick stand down, but use my leg strength to hold up the bike while my wife gets on. Using the side stand for insurance, mostly and in the event after a long day of riding and a little tired, for a little extra support. I would not however recommend using the side stand alone.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Like many others have already said, do not use the Center stand or Side stand. I get on first, get the Bike off of the center or Side stand, go ahead and start the engine.

Then grab the front brake while bracing the handlebars, and with both feet firmly planted on the ground (slide forward on the seat if you need to) the wife climbs on. In her case, it is usually from the right side so she can go ahead and plug in her cord to let me know she is ready to get on, and make sure I am ready.

HTH,

John

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
:thumb:
Voyager said:
I would not recommend loading while on the centerstand. I have trouble getting my LT off the centerstand while astraddle it when I am alone and the back and forward rock I have to do to get it off the stand would be difficult with the wife onboard. And I am 6', 225 lbs with a 32" inseam. I suspect you would have trouble.

The side stand is certainly a good way to go, although the LT leans over quite a bit on the sidestand so you will have to horse it a fair bit to stand the bike up once your wife is onboard.

The technique my wife and I use is this: I get on first and stand the bike up and stow the kick stand. I lean forward a little and keep my legs pretty close to the tank so as to stabilize the bike. She normally mounts from the left as with a horse, but sometimes will mount from the right if there is another bike close on our left side. Either way works the same for me. Once she indicates she is ready to board, I tilt the bike away from her so it is resting against my leg opposite the side she is on. It is not a huge tilt, maybe 5 degrees, 10 at the most. She then fairly quickly stands on the peg on her side extending her leg fully which allows her to easily get her other leg over the seat and sit down behind me. I basically don't hold the bars too rigidly and let her weight stand the bike from its tilted posiiton back to vertical.

We have gotten quite good at this and there is absolutely no drama. I can get the tilt so that when she boards the bike ends up back at vertical with almost no input from me at all. The two key things are getting the tilt angle right for your wife's weight and having her board in a fairly qiuck and fluid motion. The only time I had trouble was when my wife started to board and then for some reason stepped back off the bike. That caught me by surprise, but even that wasn't too big a deal.

I am sure there are other good techniques also, but this one works for us.
:thumb: Works great here too.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have to agree with Voyager about the pics. My wife and I jetskied together for a number of years and it has definately helped our balance and has taught her to help keep the weight over the center.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I use no stands, tip the bike slightly to the right to counter the weight, making sure I have stable footing under my left foot as the weight gets transferred.

Just as importantly as getting on though, is that she makes sure you know when she wants to get off!
My partner decided to get back off for a moment after I thought she's settled in, I'd released the stabilising pressure off my foot on the LHS, and of course as soon as she shifted her weight to get off, the old gal layed over.....and so did we... LOL.
"now honey, I've told you about communication, haven't I..???!!!"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Since we are both tall, no problem here, I get on first, stand stowed, feet planted, handbreake on, short nod, she gets on.
Oh yes, she's hot.

·
Registered
330 Posts
What Voyager said. Tilt the bike away from her and her weight stands it back up. We don't even think about it any more...just comes natural. There was a time or two when she first started riding that she didn't wait till I was ready. We had a little talk and she agreed NEVER to do that again. She healed nicely!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
My wife and I have it down to a science. Took a few years of practice to make it all work like it does. I get on, center the bike and support it with my thighs, side stand/center stand up, start engine, snick it into gear, and ride away! :histerica My wife doesn't ride, has no desire to, and I like it that way! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts