BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mar 24, 2011. I was minding my own business, stopped at a stoplight......when WAM!!!!

It doesn't look that bad in this picture, but the tire was pushed into the tailgate. No damage to the frame, rear bumper, or trailer hitch that I can see.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
That's got to be an interesting story.

Heard that there was bad weather in Texas yesterday and more coming today.... I'm supposed to spend the weekend around Houston and hope it starts to clear up soon...

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Probably typing on his remote terminal. Strictly prohibited everywhere, commonly practiced across the nation. Personally seen several law enforcement vehicles with similar damage.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I went to check on him he told me he only looked away for a sec...............

That's all it takes at 50mph in traffic. BTW, I don't remember hearing any tires squealing.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to me in my then only 4 week old van, but only 3 vehicles involved, no cops. A young kid didn't stop, hit a Chevy Jimmy and drove it into me. :mad:

$2,500 in damage to my van but it was just the rear hatch, bumper and tail lights, no frame damage.

and I wasn't hurt and hopefully you weren't either.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Somebody once told me that when you stop behind someone, and you can't see their rear wheels sitting on the ground.....then you're stopped waaaaaay too close.

After being rear-ended on my RT in Nov 05....I watch folks behind me like a hawk now.......I'll stop in such a position that it will leave me a bit of room if I need it.......I start flashing my brakelights (I have that Canadian LED setup) and surprisingly enough SOME folks stop far enough back that I can see both of their headlights. I still get those other idiots that park so close, I can only see one headlight and maybe a piece of the grill.......then I'll turn around....hold two fingers about 1/2 inch apart and wag 1 finger at them......like...no..no..no. Then I'll pull forward if I have room. Even then, I'll still get the A$$hole that will still creep forward just to be obnoxious..................then it's the one finger wave and a few taps on my helmet. Usually at the next light they will stop a bit further back........usually...........I say again....usually.

Americans just don't pay enough attention to their own driving habits......they have way too many toys to play with and it moves their attention somewhere other than where it should be.

Personally, I think that anyone that causes a rear-ender should be ticketed and heavily fined. This is no accident........folks wilfully don't pay attention............

Paranoid forever..........

Pat

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Man, This must be going around.. I was following behind a pickup when all of a sudden he peeled off to the left across the center turn lane and two opposing lanes of traffic...
No brake lights, no signal, no nuttin...

Guess why, The traffic in front of him was at a dead stop.. Guess who got his car totaled...

He just pulled me right into it... Had no idea traffic was stopped.. Can't see thru a pickup...
Was I following too closely ? Probably but I was right in the range of if I had left any more distance between myself and him I would have started getting cut off.....

Just couldn't stop quick enough and I was looking right at it...

John...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
First I hope all involved were OK even our finest.

I have had 3 auto and one pedestrian accident. I was crossing a street and did everything right. I looked left traffic was one way from my left and not a car in sight. Am I in the cross walk (two parallel white lines) yes. Street guarded by stop sign. Then out of the short alley off the street I was crossing came a car never stopped and next thing I was a hood ornament looking the driver in his face. He still did not stop so I threw myself miraculously off in the middle of the major street. Cuts and bruises no breaks. A drunk.

I have been hit on the passenger side by a dump truck making a U turn. 4 lanes of traffic 2 in either direction and just as I am going by him he starts to make the turn. Pushed me clear over to the side walk in the opposite direction. He claimed he had his turn signal on.

Luckily I was much younger and legally right but I learned from each experience. I just renewed my auto and bike insurance which went up. So I say to the agent why am I paying more? Answer you are paying for all the other claims we had to pay out in your area. But none of those claims were mine. Yes sir but that is how it works the company pay claims and they have to go up on everyone.

I had to pay. :(
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
135 Posts
PATTERSON said:
Somebody once told me that when you stop behind someone, and you can't see their rear wheels sitting on the ground.....then you're stopped waaaaaay too close.
I figure this was one of the most important things I learned from Driver's Education way back when. I always try to practice this and keep at my kids to do the same. But until a lot more people start to do this, leave even more room for the idiot behind you.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
dwsdad said:
And here's the guy that caused it all..............
Holy cow, Doug. What happened to "To Serve and Protect"??? Good thing no bikes in that lane. :kaboom:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts