BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You'd think this would be a simple procedure. The quick-connect couplers on the fuel lines certainly disconnected without a problem. And the connector with the female end coming front the gas tank popped right in with a healthy click. But the male is being more difficult (whodathunk?).

No matter whether I push in the metal plate or leave it out, it won't stay coupled. I even hear it click once in a while, but it does not hold a connection.

Have any of you run into this before?

Thx,

ape

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Sometimes they are not easy to reconnect. It is important to always hold the disconnect tab down. This keeps the metal snap inside from shaving off a piece of the seal oring and creating a leak. I suggest you put a tiny bit of grease (Dow Corning #55 O ring lube is best but almost anything will work)on the Oring. Remember not much at all. Now hold the tab in and push together, some you need to really push firmly, read hard. Release the tab and check that it is firmly held together. I had one on my K bike the other day give me fits. I kept upping the pressure of pushing them together and finally it snapped in.
http://pilotshq.com/product_info.php?products_id=1905
Shop around, a tube will last for years. I use it on the rubber grommets on the bike like the panel holds or the front seat slide ins.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
I have a set of higher end quick-disconnects on my fuel cell line. Where I have it run, it's pretty difficult to actually see what you're doing when re-connecting. After a number of wrestling matches to get it connected, when the cell was off the bike, I hit the male side O-Ring with a quick spritz of silicon lube and haven't had any probelms since.

Part of the problem is getting it lined up straight. That's made more difficult if the O-Ring doesn't slip easily into the female side.

As noted - always depress the release tab when pushing it together.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. I'll hold the tab in, use grease, and keep trying.

I'm glad to hear it wasn't just massive ineptness on my part.

ape

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
steveaikens said:
I hit the male side O-Ring with a quick spritz of silicon lube and haven't had any probelms since.
Perfect solution. If someone needs it, I have a bag of viton #11 Orings that are the replacement for most of these quick connects. I'll send you a couple if you PM me with your address.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Nice offer Beech. Yo Ape - you should PM Beech. The Vitons bind less than the factory gummies do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
steveaikens said:
Nice offer Beech. Yo Ape - you should PM Beech. The Vitons bind less than the factory gummies do.
Darn tootin. Just did. That will save me a possible tow to the dealer. Thank you, Beech!

ape

1 - 8 of 8 Posts