BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need some help here. The GA MOA recently held their rally in North GA and I went up for a few hours on Saturday to check it out. It was held in a State camp ground so tenting was standard for the weekenders. What I'm looking for here is why go to a rally like this and what is the draw to attend. I'm fairly new to riding (3+ yrs) but lived in Daytona Beach for 10 years so I fully understand that end of a bike fest. The other side is that I don't camp, no desire to. Staying at the Ironhorse Lodge is roughing it to me. :)

I'm not looking to criticize, just want to understand. So, for those that attended this rally or others like it, why. I'm sure that I can't be the only one wondering.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Tom I'm with you on this one. I like going to & seeing bike events but I do not see the draw on camping with 50 to 5000 other people. I know people that go to the BMWMOA rally every year & that's their thing. My wife & I have gone to The Curve Cowboy Reunion the last 4 years & will go this year. The difference is CCR is held at 1 hotel / resort & most every one that goes are from this Forum so it is like a family reunion not a bike rally. Hopefully those that Go to the MOA & other rallies like that will chime in & educate us. :D

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Yep, If you want to attend THE rally... The CCR is the one to go to..
All those others are just camping pirate shows...:)
We went twice and will likely go again when it comes around to our neighborhood again...

Unfortunately my work doesn't let me do it very often...

CYA

John

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I've attended the Georgia Mountain Rally, a few CCRs, and the BMW MOA national rally when it was in oHIo. The only one I camped at was the GA Mountain Rally. It was big fun too. But nothing I'd want to do on a regular basis. As much as I love the great outdoors, I prefer sleeping in the great INdoors. ;)

If camping isn't your thing, there's really nothing that needs to be explained. It's as simple as that. They like to camp, and you don't. Or, am I making this too simple? :)

JPSpen said:
Yep, If you want to attend THE rally... The CCR is the one to go to..
All those others are just camping pirate shows...:)
Yikes. While I understand that a statement like that is fully expected to appear in this forum, you don't really believe that, do you? The national BMWMOA Rally is nothing short of amazing and blows CCR away in every aspect. WAY more bikes to gawk at, WAY more vendors, WAY more people to meet, the list goes on & on...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
messenger13_ver2 said:
As much as I love the great outdoors, I prefer sleeping in the great INdoors. ;)

If camping isn't your thing, there's really nothing that needs to be explained. It's as simple as that. They like to camp, and you don't. Or, am I making this too simple? :)

You know, it's not so much about sleeping indoors as is the easy access to that porcelain receptacle I can use without putting pants on. :rolleyes:

So yes for me it is that simple. Any gathering that is a tenting event is not for me. Smaller gatherings like the recent one at Ironhorse (had to miss) are more appealing. CCR could be entertaining if it comes near the Southeast.

Like I originally said, I was just trying to see of I was missing some point to this rally stuff or is it that some simply enjoy sleeping in a tent with several hundred of their closest friends a few feet away. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
I'm not sure if I'll ever go to another rally again. I recently attended a mini-rally, just to look at bikes, and did not plan to hang around long or sleep in a tent. I've done a fair amount of camping, but those days don't appeal to me any longer.
The benefit of the rally was that when I arrived my airhead was idling at 2k and rough. As I got off the bike and all eyes were on the new comer I thought how am I going to meet someone because I didn't know a sole. I figured if I start looking at the carbs someone would wander over to give me their advice. I should be a fisherman! A whole group swarmed the bike and one kindly man took out a small screwdriver and started adjusting the mixture and speed screws on each carb. The idle went down to were it should be and I received about 2 hours of "you should ..." about the bike. Not that I didn't already know all of this, but I felt that some respect for their knowledge was in order, so I just listened.
I'm not one for chit-chat or large groups and really would rather ride alone. I just get more out of the ride than to be concerned about what others need/want/think about the ride. So, I guess I'm a bit conflicted about the whole thing and think it's probably easier for me to just not attend these events. It's been difficult to break into a group that's been meeting for years and know each other well. They'll talk your ear off for hours, but not recognize you the next time you see them. I'm sure it's mostly my issues with being on the quiet, reserved side, so take this all with a grain of salt.
If you want to gain extremely valuable knowledge about your ride, it's an invaluable opportunity to attend a rally. If you're not really a people person, there are always shops that are willing to keep your ride working or you can learn it all the slow methodical way yourself.

Just my $0.02,
Jer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts