BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've had Barbara for the better part of 3 years. Been on this site since before the purchase so I've read all the threads from those that would have the LT packed up tight and sent back to the MFG because of all the issues associated with this SWEET ride.

To those nay sayers, I say........ Neener...neener... neener...

To recap, New(er) Gear box, Motor, countless tires and brake pads, comsystems, so many lights and farkels that I simply do not have the time to list and tireless hours of tedious tinkering. All in the name of riding my beautiful second wife (I stole grifs girlfriend! :rotf: )

Even with the marathon heart transplant, and the discovery of a recent rotor issue. My only thought was the joy received when tooling past all those "other" bikes! oh, did I say that street vibrations and reno was this past weekend? countless hogs out, and no one to play with in the twisties!!! how sad.... :p

Now, As we all know a good preflight....who am I kidding... Looks good, no fluids on the ground, TPS tattle tail light not on....LETS RIDE...

While buttoning Barbara's dress up this past weekend, I found this.. (several more below)

All the way around the rear rotor, small fractures! all starting from the second holes in the EBC rotor. Not expecting much, I fired off an email to the MFG. For a rotor less than two years old, this should not occur.

To my surprise:
Andy Freeman [email said:
[email protected][/email]]
Hi There

This should never happen so it will be replaced and I am pleased there was no cindient, please give me make ,model and year and shipping Address for the replacement please

Sorry about this

Regards Andy
So.. Your end of the lesson. Pretrip with a fine comb every so often to catch the invisible. Had I not been re-installing the FD, I would not have caught this saftey issue!

Ride safe, but with balls!

Attachments

·
Registered
975 Posts
WOW - Who would have guessed that would happen! Glad you caught it in time...

Glad the mfg. stepped up and will replace it. I now know who I'm buying my next set from!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
EBC going to let you keep the old rotor? There has to be a metallurgist in the house who could figure out what went wrong. If it were an install issue one would think that the cracks would have started near the cowbell spacers not from the second hole in from the outside edge.

Mighty big of EBC to step up to the plate, no questions asked. Impressive!

Maybe they overheated and warped? :corn::corn:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Good catch Hoss, I am going to inspect my rotors closely today although they are OEM . I think it was great the way EBC responded. Thanks for posting this.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,779 Posts
I guess I better go look at the used one I just put on that I got from LAF. Good catch Hoss.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The book says Newton Meters... not Foot Pounds...

Ya need a torque wrench that's digital and has metric...

Oh wait... I have that.... Damn... I should been there... I coulda left a bolt loose or something...

Nice "eye for the guy" sir... Glad you had a temp to replace it with... And very nice that EBC is standing up on this... They go on my "these guys all the time" list...

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
All I'll say is, Hoss was lucky his old pal Hallzee had his glasses on during reassembly... Seriously, it was a "WTF??" moment!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts