BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My horn now works intermittently, and when it does work, it blows to a steady cadence, beginning with a pause, even though I never let off it.

About 1 second Pause. About 1 second beep. About 1 second pause. About 1 second beep, and keeps doing this as long as I hold the horn button down.

Any ideas. Bless me with your wisdom.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
dhendy said:
My horn now works intermittently, and when it does work, it blows to a steady cadence, beginning with a pause, even though I never let off it.

About 1 second Pause. About 1 second beep. About 1 second pause. About 1 second beep, and keeps doing this as long as I hold the horn button down.

Any ideas. Bless me with your wisdom.

Thanks.
Perhaps you could bless us with more info: model year, assume it's an LT, any recent work or mods done, does it happen only at start up/anytime, are the brake lightls flashing as well, turn signals.......?

As a shot in the dark, sounds like your horn circuit is being influenced by the turn signal circuit or brake system warning circuit.

·
Registered
478 Posts
the hazzard light switch is right there on that side.does it glow or pulse when horn is activated(shot in the dark)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Good Suggestion.

It is an '03 LT. After checking and thinking blinkers were good, They aren't.

Front blinkers and indicators work fine.

Rear blinkers work fine until until brake is applied at which point they flash like hazards.

Brake lights do nothing unless unless blinker is on. Then it just flashes as a hazard light,

Horn does nothing unless blinkers are on, when it's honk, pause, honk, pause is to the same cadence as the blinker.

The hazard just glows red. Doesn't flash.

Where would these wires be crossed. I assume it not a computer thing.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,093 Posts
There is a common ground tie point for both the turn signals and the horns, so I would suspect a fault lies there - somewhere. May be tough to find but that is where I would look first.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I agree with JohnZ, this has all the hall marks of a loose ground or corrosion on a ground connection, most likely both. Anytime I have had blinkers and brake lights acting like that it was always a ground issue. The horn is most likely acting like that because it's ground is now being feed through the lights. When you find the loose connection, don't just tighten it, take the time to clean the corrosion also.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Yep, It does sound like you've got an open ground and the horn and brake lights are getting an alternate path to ground...

I don't envy you troubleshooting this one..

Good Luck.

John

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
brake light and horn beep in cadence with blinkers

After a few hours of looking at a wiring diagram and cross-referencing pictures of disassembly instructions, then six hours of removing tupperware, connecting and reconnecting connectors, looking for the obvious, touching connections with my voltmeter, I have to agree JPSpen, I don't envy me troubleshooting this one.

Unless someone comes up with a specific wire to run down, I going to keep my 9 am appt at the local shop.

I assume they have jumpers, ect and an experience "bmw electrician" to find it and fix it within an hour or two. I sure do hope they just don't some yahoo like me who gets to learn as he goes. How many hours would it take just to replace the entire brake, blinker, horn wiring harnesses?

I think I may have accomplished one thing though, could this be 1st problem on this forum that didn't get a detailed fix, with pictures. Or at least twenty opinions. Wish it wasn't me that finally stumped the chumps!

But I still appreciate the forum, and all the opinions -- most of wish are pretty good..

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,093 Posts
Depends on which dealer you are taking it to. There was another LT from Snellville that came to me after dumping a few $$$$ on a current drain issue that they did not fix. Found it in 15 minutes. If you want to make the drive over I'll be happy to take a stab at it. About a 4 hour drive, one way.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
\If you can. Follow the brown wires from the horn and rear lights...

Brown is ground... They may have a tracer to identify it from other grounds...

This is not something that happens all the time and troubleshooting is an art...
Not many guys are good troubleshooters...

It's not difficult but you have to be methodical...Start at one end and go to the other.....

You can't shotgun or start in the middle... So start with the brown wire at the horn..See if you can find both ends of it.. and work your way from there...

Good Luck

John

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fixed. A pinched wire under on the right side, under the gas tank. Unfortunately I don't have satisfaction of saying I did it.

After I messed around for about 6 hours, put it back together enough to ride it over to Blue Moon Cycle in Norcross, GA. They found it and fixed it for about an hours labor -- $85.

It would have taken me an hour just to get the gas tank off and back on.

Nice to know help is just four hours away though. Thanks guys.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,093 Posts
Glad that worked out for you, I think Blue Moon was the right choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts