BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story. My K1200LT with 35,000 miles on it was leaking bad from it's left front fork. I knew I had to change the seals and boot. I thought why should I pay the service dept. 85.00 an hour when I can take the front end apart. So I called the service dept. and asked, "if I just bring it the forks, can you change the seals and oil?" He said no problem. So I slowly tore into the bike (I've had it apart several times, but this was the first time to remove the forks). Got to a point where I had to take a 22mm wrench, grind it down to fit, then heated it up and bent the head to an angle that would reach under the tree from the top and grasp the nut to I could unscrew the top nut and remove the forks (worked like a champ too!). I carried the forks up to the service dept. and two hours later return after eating lunch. Paid for the service, changed both fork seals, boots, new fork oil. As I picked up the forks to walk out, a mechanic stopped me and asked, "Why did you remove your forks?" I said, "The seals needed changing and new oil put in and that's what the maintenance manuel said to do." He said, "we have a way to do that without removing the forks.".....I replied, "How?" "Well, we have a way." was the answer. I thanked him for his work, drove home thinking, there's no way. How can they do that without removing the fork from the frame?
Anyway, I put the forks back on....hooked everything up and it rides fine again with the small oil puddle under the left fork afterwards....So if you ever need a tool to take your forks off? I'll give directions on how to make one or send a picture of it. lol.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
cmattingly said:
Here's the story. My K1200LT with 35,000 miles on it was leaking bad from it's left front fork. I knew I had to change the seals and boot. I thought why should I pay the service dept. 85.00 an hour when I can take the front end apart. So I called the service dept. and asked, "if I just bring it the forks, can you change the seals and oil?" He said no problem. So I slowly tore into the bike (I've had it apart several times, but this was the first time to remove the forks). Got to a point where I had to take a 22mm wrench, grind it down to fit, then heated it up and bent the head to an angle that would reach under the tree from the top and grasp the nut to I could unscrew the top nut and remove the forks (worked like a champ too!). I carried the forks up to the service dept. and two hours later return after eating lunch. Paid for the service, changed both fork seals, boots, new fork oil. As I picked up the forks to walk out, a mechanic stopped me and asked, "Why did you remove your forks?" I said, "The seals needed changing and new oil put in and that's what the maintenance manuel said to do." He said, "we have a way to do that without removing the forks.".....I replied, "How?" "Well, we have a way." was the answer. I thanked him for his work, drove home thinking, there's no way. How can they do that without removing the fork from the frame?
Anyway, I put the forks back on....hooked everything up and it rides fine again with the small oil puddle under the left fork afterwards....So if you ever need a tool to take your forks off? I'll give directions on how to make one or send a picture of it. lol.
I hope you meant to say without the oil puddle!

·
Registered
37 Posts
For sure...

You're right Tony...
I had to read that last part several times as i scratched my head in wonder :confused:

:p

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,785 Posts
They most likely just pull the front wheel and drop the lowers off while leaving the uppers on the bike. It is not like there are any shock towers or metering valves in there - just sliders. All the shock action is from the single unit on the telelever.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No matter how many times I reread that....

I still miss my mistakes. Yes, I meant to say WITHOUT the oil puddle.

·
Registered
446 Posts
That's it

jzeiler said:
They most likely just pull the front wheel and drop the lowers off while leaving the uppers on the bike. It is not like there are any shock towers or metering valves in there - just sliders. All the shock action is from the single unit on the telelever.
That is what the mechanic and service manager told me how to do it. Just drop the front wheel disconnect the telelever from the wheel/lower sliders and pull the sliders out. Pull the old seals from the top. put the new seals on and slide them up then make sure each lower tube is half full. That is the Readers Digest version.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Yeah, but think of all the pleasure you miss if you don't have to sweat it out, make your own tool . . . and then it works! Good on ya, cmattingly, ya got the job done. Hey, btw, you might want to fill in your profile in case someone wants to contact you about the toolm might come in very handy for other purposes too. (Personally, I want to know if you're related to Don Mattingly!).

·
Registered
701 Posts
How?

robasay said:
... Pull the old seals from the top. put the new seals on and slide them up then make sure each lower tube is half full. That is the Readers Digest version.
Sounds good, but how do you "make sure the lower tube is half full"? And full of what? Do the forks take regular fork oil?

Also, why couldn't you just fill the lower tubes with the proper amount of oil before sliding them on? As I understand the system, the oil is only there as a lube for the bushings anyway, so it shouldn't need to go in the top.

GB

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes I am...but not the baseball player...lol

My cousin Don Mattingly is a southern Baptist preacher who used to work at Baylor University in Waco, but now works in Georgia....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts