BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.
You may remember that I have had 2 LT's in the past and I have had so much trouble with them both,gearbox,final drive etc. etc.that I got an RT as I totally lost confidence with the LT's.The RT is very good BUT I went to the BMW dealer yesterday for an oil filter and in the corner was a brand new Ocean Blue LTse (2005) and I am sure I heard it asking me to buy it.
"Buy me and take me home I won't let you down"
Went for an oil filter and came out with a new bike.WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING?
I have even sold off my LT spares Remus,inner bags,CD etc.
I must be going loopy.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I remember riding to my favorite dealer two years ago on my 2000 LTC with 25k on the clock. They had a huge sale going on at that time and I was hoping to snag a decent jacket. At the end of the day, after a belly full of free soda n bbq .... no jacket but ended up with a NEW LT Exodus! Yup .... LTs do that to you.

Moral of the story..... If you need to get something from the dealer, TAKE THE CAR!

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
yea, I am not alone. Should've close your eyes.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I wasn't even looking for an LT when I bought mine.

I was looking for a sport bike!
If it wasn't for my wife I would have a new bike everytime I visit the dealer.
Its a disease - we should have a support group ;)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Hi,

a BMW dealer in Manchester UK is selling new LT's ( last years) for £11,500.

been tempted to trade in my current model and buy new, but with the new house and all the building work I'd not live long enough to enjoy it. perhaps next year when I've finished all the work.

Enjoy your new purchase and here's hoping you have a trouble free ride.

·
Registered
241 Posts
After reading some of the messages on this thread to my wife, she has declared, unequivocally, that "men have no self control".

There ya go guys, the verdict is in and I'm pretty sure all wives agree with it.

Ride safe,
Steve S.

·
Registered
149 Posts
We all think you have done the right thing

Well I guess I may bump in to you occasionally on the M60 or around Manchester. I will be the one on the other Blue LT, probably with my good lady on board, music blasting, enjoying the breeze.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's a disease...

RoyvL said:
I wasn't even looking for an LT when I bought mine.

I was looking for a sport bike!
If it wasn't for my wife I would have a new bike everytime I visit the dealer.
It's a disease - we should have a support group ;)
Hear Hear! :bmw:

I sold my Honda PC800 Pacific Coast Coast back in May (for a bunch of reasons); a few weekends ago I was totally jonesing for a ride on a bike.

I'd owned a beautiful '99 K1200LT in 2002, but had to sell it (divorce); even though I eneded up thoroughly enjoying the PC800 I replaced it with, I still would kick myself almost daily for giving up the sweet, silky-smooth LT. Switching from an LT to a PC800 is kind of like switching mounts from Secretariat to Elsie the Cow.

Meanwhile, my sweetheart and I found ourselves down at 441 Cycle in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida with our helmets in the back of our van. Fred, the owner, gave us a 2005 LT and told us to go have some fun with it, so we did--we did a mini-tour of Ft. Lauderdale; up US-1 through the Henry Kinney Tunnel, down Las Olas Boulevard to A-1-A, and up Ft. Lauderdale Beach to Sunrise Boulevard--then back to 441 cycle.

Try doing that at a Honda dealership.

Meanwhile, Fred told me that the LT I had just ridden was sold, and the new owner was coming down that Monday with his trade--a '99 Canyon Red K1200LT--to pick it up. Because his trade had high miles (around 100,000), he'd let it go for $5,000.

Right, I thought to myself. It's a wrung-out piece of $%&@!. Besides, I wanted to take my sweetheart to look at Goldwings too; she loved the LT and though it was supremely confortable, but she also wanted to compart it to the Goldwing.

I happened to be back in the area on Monday, and just for grins, I stopped back into 441 cycle when I finished up with my client that morning. As fortune would have it, the fellow had just ridden in from Orlando (about 200 miles away) with his '99 LT.

Despite the high miles (the bike actually had only 90,000), it was stunning--it's sole, veteran owner had taken immaculate care of it, garaged it all its life, and being a retired master mechanic, did all his own maintenance. He had replaced the factory shocks with Ohlins at around 18,000 miles, and put the originals back on before he rode it down. He claims to have run nothing but synthetic oil in the crankcase for the last 80,000 miles, religiously changed at 3,000-mile intervals.

Even though his deal was not yet complete, he had no problem with letting me take his bike out for a spin. It was just magnificent. It rode just like the 2005 he was about to buy--in fact he himself had mused to me that he was wondering what on Earth he was doing replacing his perfectly good '99 with an '05.

I asked Fred if he was still willing to sell the '99 for $5,000. He was, and I left the dealership with the bike I have since christened Lorelei.

I'm glad I bought her before I got the opportunity to go look at Wings with my sweetheart. I've always loved the LT and its beautiful, sexy lines; the Wing--I don't care what the year--is a frumpy-looking sofa on wheels by comparison.

LTSaddledance said:
After reading some of the messages on this thread to my wife, she has declared, unequivocally, that "men have no self control".

There ya go guys, the verdict is in and I'm pretty sure all wives agree with it.
I couldn't agree more. But if I let this deal get away... I would've kicked myself so hard I wouldn't have been able to sit down for a month.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was out with my wife running errands and asked her if we could stop by Bob's BMW for some silk glove liners. She saw the mauve '02 LT and hopped on it and said "This is the bike." I said "Weren't we waiting for an '06 FJR?".
So now I'm the owner of the Mauve Monster. I've put a little over 1200 miles on in a week. Turns out my wife is the one with no self control. And I'm lovin' it.

Robin

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wait - Wait - Wait!!!!

My dealer said BMW is finished with the K1200LT as we know it. Time will tell if he is right but my bet is he is.

Tom
Gainesville, Mo.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Although I like my LT now, I really bought a "dealer", Max BMW in North Hampton, NH. He is the best bike dealer I have ever know - by far!! But, if he were selling Honda's, I would own a GL today.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I remember me looking for a new set of tyres last year, but the dealer had only one pair available on the short term: they were attached to a new 2004 (Eu) LT in full options and BMW Navigator II .....

... it's mine since then :cool: :bmw:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Virgin Post

G'day all from Australia (My first post here, please be gentle with me :) )

Spotted this thread and had to put in my $0.02 (inc. GST). Went for a ride (about 400km 1 way) with a group of fellow Ulyssian riders www.ulysses.org.au with my pillion in a million on the back of my '02 Yamaha V Star 1100 in early October. On the way home, she was in a lot of pain from the riding position and decreed to me that we needed to get a Goldwing. Yes that's right dear, twist my arm up a little higher :D

Went looking for a wing and the only ones on offer were around '99 models for still decent money. We test rode a wing and then rode the LT after one of my Ulyssian mates suggested it. Well, I picked up my LT on Saturday just gone. She's an '04 model Impala Brown. Was the dealer's demo machine with less than 2000 k's on the clock. All the mod cons that a wing has with a newer look. I'd have to agree with piusg about the differences between the 2 machines, the older wings, well they look older :rolleyes: and the deal I got with the trade in of the Yamaha was too good to refuse.

You have one very happy bloke here :): . The cook is happy with the pillion seat and we're looking forward to our first trip away on the LT with our Ulyssian mates in a couple of weeks. I have embraced the BMW so fully zat I am now schpeaking mit ein duetsch accent mein new freunds :bmw: .

Looking forward to a long and tempestuous relationship with my new love.

Ride safe

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Welcome to our asylum! Oz is certainly becoming well represented here.

Clean out your spare bedrooms, we all want to come visit! :D :D

Of course, you are more than welcome here too. Especially around CCR time. :D :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts