BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, Remember the newbie that over filled the tank, and (thanks to members of this forum) learned how to by-pass the fuel canister. Yep that's me. :wave

Well, now my fuel gauge won't go down past 1/2 full mark. Just wondering if anyone knows how to fix this problem.

Thanks..... Don't know what I would do without all your help.

Chris Ogle, the newbie :dance:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Ouch Chris...You've done it now..
What happens is the vacuum created by the cannister being plugged causes the fuel tank to collapse and damages the fuel level sender....

You gotta take the tank off. Hopefully it can be put back into shape and the fuel sender assembly either repaired or replaced...

Sorry but you've got a little work ahead of you...

John

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Don't feel too bad about over filling your tank. Who would have guessed this to be a problem?

I picked up my bike from the dealer, got about 15 miles down the road and it wouldn't idle for beans. Kept dying in stop and go traffic much to my chagrin. The salesman filled it up before I took delivery. Guess he didn't know about it either. Bypassed the cannister and she's been running like a champ since! No more whoosh when I open the cap either. The best part is that now I can fill it to the brim with no worries.

If you need to replace the fuel sender you might try BeemerBoneyard.com or LTParts.com You might just get lucky.

Loren

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
cwo said:
Howdy, Remember the newbie that over filled the tank, and (thanks to members of this forum) learned how to by-pass the fuel canister. Yep that's me. :wave

Well, now my fuel gauge won't go down past 1/2 full mark. Just wondering if anyone knows how to fix this problem.

Thanks..... Don't know what I would do without all your help.

Chris Ogle, the newbie :dance:
What everybody said..... bent/collapsed fuel gauge sensor tube. Never happend to me but I've read the stories.
I wonder if the bent/collapsed tube could be popped open with compressed air. I've done this with dented metal gas tanks off crashed bikes. You have to rig up a pressure system with a pressure regulator and slowly increase pressure until things pop back into shape. You want to be able to do it by "remote control" in case of a minor explosion. :O

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Use a large carpenters square to straighten the float tube. Put duct tape on the edge, clamp it in a vise and slide the tube onto it. Then tap the tube with a plastic hammer. It won't be pretty but it will work. As an alternative a good piece of black pipe from the hardware store works real well too.

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I was able to take the dent out with just my hands (twice - some of us don't learn so good).

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yes, sounds like your fuel tube is bent. To clarify for you though while you have your tank off, the fuel gauge tube is the vertical one on the top of the fuel tank. While you're in there, you might want to change the fuel filter and if you do take the cover off the lower bottom of the tank, you'll see another float and arm. This float by the fuel pump is a separate float that turns on your fuel low light. Just don't bend the float arm to try to fix the fuel gauge. DAMHIK. :rolleyes:

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
No need to remove the tank on the right side on the back of the fuel filler hole is the gage sending unit. Undo the screws or nuts & lift the unit out. The gasket should be reusable. Once you get the right upper body panel off you can see it. If you have to remove the stingray you will have to remove the left upper body panel as well.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is this common across all model years? I've been filling to the bottom thread just above the cut out on the filler neck since new on a 2007 model. Maybe just lucky.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I would say you have either been very lucky or you have been filling the bike while on the center stand. You can get more in the tank if you fill on the side stand.

Loren

fwkraft said:
Is this common across all model years? I've been filling to the bottom thread just above the cut out on the filler neck since new on a 2007 model. Maybe just lucky.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Howdy, Thanks for the valuable information. Going to work on it Wed or Thurs as it is supposed to rain here in Kansas.

Again, Thanks for the help.

Chris Ogle :wave

·
Registered
929 Posts
Try to get her done before the weekend--don't want you missing out on the all the good riding this weekend!:bike:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts