BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the USA to get their NEW GT or GTL? I put my deposit down 10/5/10 & my order was the first one faxed in from Lone Star BMW on 12/17/10. I'm not counting demo bikes as those should be here in the next 2 to 3 weeks but a bike going to a new owner. I would like to think that I would be first but that is not likely as I'm sure there are larger markets then Austin that will be first. I do know I should be first in Austin & maybe even Texas. I will stick this thread & the first person to post a picture with them self & the new GT / GTL & some proof that it is their bike(dealer tag on bike, Sales contact, Dealer handing over keys etc.) wins . :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Steve - I would to think I will be first but I'm #470 on the pre-order list so I doubt it. At this point I will be happy just have it in time to break her and get the initial service done before CCR. Posting pictures with date of delivery is a good idea.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorchilla said:
Steve - I would to think I will be first but I'm #470 on the pre-order list so I doubt it. At this point I will be happy just have it in time to break her and get the initial service done before CCR. Posting pictures with date of delivery is a good idea.
Doug How do you know What Number you are?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
katnapinn said:
In the USA to get their NEW GT or GTL? I put my deposit down 10/5/10 & my order was the first one faxed in from Lone Star BMW on 12/17/10. I'm not counting demo bikes as those should be here in the next 2 to 3 weeks but a bike going to a new owner. I would like to think that I would be first but that is not likely as I'm sure there are larger markets then Austin that will be first. I do know I should be first in Austin & maybe even Texas. I will stick this thread & the first person to post a picture with them self & the new GT / GTL & some proof that it is their bike(dealer tag on bike, Sales contact, Dealer handing over keys etc.) wins . :rolleyes:
Your deposit wsa in October? Hah! Mine was in July :D -- but I don't believe it will make a rat's patutie's bit of difference.

Heck, I'm even in the top 20 on the pre-order list -- and I still don't believe that will make a difference.

Proximity to the distribution centers and truck routing to the dealers will control this random lottery.

·
Registered
193 Posts
mneblett said:
Your deposit wsa in October? Hah! Mine was in July :D -- but I don't believe it will make a rat's patutie's bit of difference.

Heck, I'm even in the top 20 on the pre-order list -- and I still don't believe that will make a difference.

Proximity to the distribution centers and truck routing to the dealers will control this random lottery.
Yep, I suspect you're spot on. I'm pretty high up on the list too (don't believe I'm in the top 20 though!) but I think it more depends on when they get around to my specific region.

Has anyone confirmed yet if the first round of pre-order bikes are in the States yet? My dealer was of the opinion that they are, which is why they expect to see the first pre-order deliveries within a couple of weeks of the demo delivery. If they still had to ship from Germany they wouldn't get here until late May / early June, best-case.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
When I spoke to Jane a while back she said that a friend of mine in WV, who ordered from the dealer in NC was 6 on the list. I think I'm somewhere around number 300+.

Probably see mine in July or August! May 13th the local dealer has scheduled a show of the 1600GTL... I do see a test ride soon.

By the way, in skydiving, whenever you say, "That was the FIRST time" for anything, you owe a case of good beer to the group! Many get called on it. Collections take place at the end of the day....

·
Registered
530 Posts
My dealer is trying to pull some strings to get me my GTL before I go on The Run for the Wall but realisticly I doubt that this will happen. It would be good publicity for BMW to get a GTL on the run.
The bike will most likely be waiting for me when I return to Colorado after my two week trip to DC.
It would be nice to take it on the Dragon but that may have to wait until September.

·
Registered
193 Posts
iride4u said:
My dealer is trying to pull some strings to get me my GTL before I go on The Run for the Wall but realisticly I doubt that this will happen. It would be good publicity for BMW to get a GTL on the run.
The bike will most likely be waiting for me when I return to Colorado after my two week trip to DC.
It would be nice to take it on the Dragon but that may have to wait until September.
I'm hoping to take a long weekend and do a Dragon run in June, but it's only a ten hour ride for me...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Raaze12 said:
I'm hoping to take a long weekend and do a Dragon run in June, but it's only a ten hour ride for me...
I have a trip planned to Mississippi, leaving on May 21, then Americade, leaving on June 7, then Western NC, leaving on/about June 18. It would be nice to have the GTL for all of those, but happy to have it by Americade for sure. I'll just have to take the wife's K13 to MS, not that it will be too much of a hardship.

I have no clue where I am on the list, but I paid my deposit in October 2010.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
katnapinn said:
Doug How do you know What Number you are?
When Jane called in January I asked and she told me I was #470. I really have no idea what that means but assume it was the US pre-order sequence of the calls she made. Considering there are as many as 1200 US Pre-orders, I don't think I'll get mine in the first batch.

·
Registered
519 Posts
mneblett said:

I'm with Mark on this one. Deposit July 6th. PreOrder form in Dec 17th. Doesn't matter.

I'm hoping before the end of the year. (I can ride in December, although gotta stay down out of the snow covered high country of AZ)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Checked with my dealer today. They should have thier demo before I leave on my trip to DC. According to the information from BMW I must ride the demo and sign a form that is sent to BMW before they release the bike to the dealer.
The best that I can hope for is to be in the first shipment unless they do another phone confermation again. If this is the case then I may not see the bike until after my second trip or later.

·
Registered
193 Posts
iride4u said:
Checked with my dealer today. They should have thier demo before I leave on my trip to DC. According to the information from BMW I must ride the demo and sign a form that is sent to BMW before they release the bike to the dealer.
The best that I can hope for is to be in the first shipment unless they do another phone confermation again. If this is the case then I may not see the bike until after my second trip or later.
My dealer told me that re-confirming the orders the second time was a dealership responsibility. I don't believe Jane has to re-call everyone on the list again.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Leaving for Nova Scotia for a 18 day trip July 27th. Sure would be nice to have my GTL. Going up east through Georgia, and Virginia to Saint John,New Brunswick, crossing on ferry to Digby,ride counter clockwise in Nova Scotia then cutting across to the ST.Lawrence river then south to Niagara falls then back to Louisiana.May be still on the 06 LT. But sure would be nice to bring the GTL. :dance:

·
Registered
14 Posts
roadking04 said:
Leaving for Nova Scotia for a 18 day trip July 27th. Sure would be nice to have my GTL. Going up east through Georgia, and Virginia to Saint John,New Brunswick, crossing on ferry to Digby,ride counter clockwise in Nova Scotia then cutting across to the ST.Lawrence river then south to Niagara falls then back to Louisiana.May be still on the 06 LT. But sure would be nice to bring the GTL. :dance:
A buddy and I are leaving from Calgary Alberta on July 22 headed for Quebec (27th - 30th) for QuebecSTOC (we are/were ST1300 riders). From there we are heading to PEI and then to Baddeck Nova Scotia for another 4 day rally (August 1 - 4). Do Cabot trail and lots of other day trips. I only mention this since we both ordered K1600's (mine a GT and his a GTL). Might run into you. I think we are gone about 20 days so far but that's been extended a few times already so who knows! LOL

Dave...

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Let's see - New Jersey: [email protected] weather, high taxes, polluted marshlands, secondary home to the Mafia (um, so I've heard), bad roads, high traffic, and the brunt of all New York themed jokes. But, it is a major, if not THE major distribution port for BMW! LOL! Go Joisy!

It only makes sense to drop off those initial shipments of bikes right here!

I don't need to have the first one. I just need my bike before Memorial Day!

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I can wait maybe a month for the new bike.

Yesterday I got hit by the first crop of Florida Love Bugs and can't wait for this abnormality to be over. Guess I can wait for the new bike a little bit longer as these bugs are a PITA to get off if they sit too long. Seems like a daily ritual during the season.

1. Get home and lay old towel on bugs contact points
2. Soak towel with water
3. Wipe off Love Bug residue
4. Know I'm going to do it again tomorrow...

·
Registered
530 Posts
DanDiver said:
I can wait maybe a month for the new bike.

Yesterday I got hit by the first crop of Florida Love Bugs and can't wait for this abnormality to be over. Guess I can wait for the new bike a little bit longer as these bugs are a PITA to get off if they sit too long. Seems like a daily ritual during the season.

1. Get home and lay old towel on bugs contact points
2. Soak towel with water
3. Wipe off Love Bug residue
4. Know I'm going to do it again tomorrow...
Try Honda Cleaner Polish after you clean off the first batch. Worked great all the way to Alaska and back. It leaves a film that makes removing the next round alot easier.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Dave,

When the trip gets closer let me know I will give ceel number and maybe meet somewhere if close by for a talk. meet a gentlemen last year the same way when we went up the west coast to Washington to Victoria, BC on the ferry then to Vancouver. What a great time
Tim

·
IBR# 366
16,553 Posts
iride4u said:
Try Honda Cleaner Polish after you clean off the first batch.
The Honda Cleaner Polish is good stuff, as is Plexus. Easy to use, and makes bug removal easier the next time, too.

Placing a hot, wet towel over the bugs for a few minutes helps soften them up. And some folks use Hydrogen Peroxide (found at any drug store or grocery store) to soften up the carcasses even more.

1 - 20 of 126 Posts