BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long winter, I decided to ride the LT to visit my son in Doylestown PA, about a 75 mile ride. I stopped at a light in the center of town, shifted down to first and the bottom fell out of the shift linkage....I'm now in first gear and the shifter is hanging like a wet noodle.

Well, due to the collective wisdom of this forum, I carry the replacement parts and the tools needed to access the shift linkage. As it turns out, the ball stud on the back of the footrest was broken off and I have no tools to to remove it. So I took the footrest plate and my replacement part down to the local BMW car dealer and walked out 5 minutes later with the new part installed. They were real busy but took care of me right away. Very nice bunch of folks and very helpful to this stranded rider.

Now I need to do a search for the guy that makes the replacement shift linkage. No more of the el cheapo metal parts for me.

Stay safe,
Bob

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,934 Posts
Buy a replacement if you want but these don't break unless they are loose. Keep em tight and lubed and you will never have a problem. But it was Philjohn that offered the replacements.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
drifter36 said:
After a long winter, I decided to ride the LT to visit my son in Doylestown PA, about a 75 mile ride. I stopped at a light in the center of town, shifted down to first and the bottom fell out of the shift linkage....I'm now in first gear and the shifter is hanging like a wet noodle.

Well, due to the collective wisdom of this forum, I carry the replacement parts and the tools needed to access the shift linkage. As it turns out, the ball stud on the back of the footrest was broken off and I have no tools to to remove it. So I took the footrest plate and my replacement part down to the local BMW car dealer and walked out 5 minutes later with the new part installed. They were real busy but took care of me right away. Very nice bunch of folks and very helpful to this stranded rider.

Now I need to do a search for the guy that makes the replacement shift linkage. No more of the el cheapo metal parts for me.

Stay safe,
Bob
[email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts