BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
During "normal" operations? In over 150K on two LT's I've not done it YET...:p

Full disclosure on my three "horizontal excursions":

I got it high centered one time on a rock on an off road 4X4 trail I had absolutely no business being on and s l o w l y laid it over while stationary with no damage.

It got violently blown over unattended one time during a performance award ceremony officiated by the State Patrol in Northern Arizona.

I also had it sink into hot asphalt one time unattended while I watched from a restaurant booth. It happened so slowly I thought I was having a flash back to the 70's from some bad acid. Either that or it was from Grif farting. Same effect: drain bamage. I - of course - own an official black BMW plastic kick stand pad designed to eliminate this. :eek:

No cheaters.

Tell the truth dammit.
:D

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not me. Stopped at street edge to get something out of one of the bags, got the side stand just a little behind the stop, and over it went after I stepped off. The side stand makes an oxymoron of the phrase "German engineering." This is just a small part of the reason mine is on Craigs List after only five hundred miles.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
RonKMiller said:
During "normal" operations? In over 150K on two LT's I've not done it YET...:p

(Full disclosure: I got it high centered one time on a rock on an off road 4X4 trail I had absolutely no business being on and s l o w l y laid if over while stationary with no damage, and it got violently blown over unattended one time during a performance award ceremony officiated by the State Patrol in Northern Arizona.)

No cheaters.

Tell the truth dammit. :D
No record here, only 10K miles. However, no drops of any kind (dynamic or static) to date. Ask me again in 10 years...

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HoosierHugh said:
Not me. Stopped at street edge to get something out of one of the bags, got the side stand just a little behind the stop, and over it went after I stepped off. The side stand makes an oxymoron of the phrase "German engineering." This is just a small part of the reason mine is on Craigs List after only five hundred miles.
I guess its safe to assume you're not very fond of the LT..... ;) ...but look at it this way: you may have set a new record anyway! :D

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
HoosierHugh said:
What are the other reasons besides you not knowing how to use a side stand? ;)

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
RonKMiller said:
I believe we call that a "ZINGER"! :rotf:
The wink was included to indicate that it was a friendly zinger! :)

·
IBR# 366
16,544 Posts
My '99 (27K miles) and my '02 (97 K miles) each fell over once, both times while parked. Never while riding, although the big beast does get heavy at times, especially after 20 hours in the saddle. I solved that problem by losing 200 lbs and gaining 50 HP with the GT. :D

·
Registered
475 Posts
I dropped her once in about 40k of riding. My wife was on the back and quickly jerked to the right and down she went. Other than that - NO droppings! (knock on wood)

·
Registered
809 Posts
There are those that have . . . and those that will.

Threads like this are a jinx. Once you start talking about it, you think about it; your mind obsesses about the topic, causing constant worry about dropping her at the stop light. Your hopes are that your foot won't slip on the oil puddle beneath your foot; a gust of wind may catch you off-guard; your bride/SO might make a sudden adjustment in the saddle at low speed and you anticipate her/his movement.

Worry, fretting, worry, fretting . . . . oh crap! I just heard a loud noise in the garage! BRB!!!

:histerica

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
First time.. about 3600 miles.. a month of riding.. brakes failed, eased to ground rather than traffic

Second time.. about 20k miles, I was extremely tired... pulled into my driveway and as I pushed bar to straighten bike I tapped front brake

Third time... about 30k miles... lost it on an unmaintained sand road that had been washed out.

·
Registered
492 Posts
OK I'm the one!!! One LT over 150K and it only took me the first stop before I was calling for HELP, "The whale is on it's side" hehe; as a Rider Coach I tell my students " if you don't want to drop your bike stay out of parking lots" So do it and get it over with....

·
Registered
492 Posts
OK I'm the one!!! One LT over 150K and it only took me the first stop before I was calling for HELP, "The whale is on it's side" hehe; as a Rider Coach I tell my students " if you don't want to drop your bike stay out of parking lots" So do it and get it over with....

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I didn't drop mine today.
Bob, 00 Leaky Type

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierHugh

Yep, there it is in Evansville, IN, Craiglist. 2002 $9500 and 6K miles. He says he's to old to drive it. I had to check 'cause I didn't understand if he was selling the bike or the side stand. Also I haven't dropped mine in at least 2 months.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think Ken's the clear leader so far, since I was riding during my high center and controlled "flop over".

I am SO tempted to get a 1300GT and lose 200 lbs. of phat..... :bmw:

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
One time so far :)
Costly one though, first week I had it getting ready for a ride put it on the side stand went into the house to clean off the sunny's and came out to find her napping :mad:
New windshield, windshield operator, repaired and painted top case, oh and only 220 mile on the odometer.
Never used the side stand since!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts