BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005's trip was from Detoit to the Moto GP at Laguna Seca. 2006 is going to be to the Eastern edge of Canada to see the first TT Race to hit North America - same promoters as the Isle of Mann TT race.

So I am thinking about 2007 already. Has anyone ridden through Mexico? I was thinking of heading south through Mexico and on to Belize, then taking a different route back.

I don't know if the LT is the right bike for this trip or if a GS/GS Adventure would be more appropriate, I have no idea what the roads are like through that part of the world. The maps make it seem like interstate and two lane highways can be ridden.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I've only ridden in Baja. Mex Highway = US country 2 lane with a little divided 4 lane near major cities.

I have ridden both the LT and a GS/A in Mex. IMHO, a GS is the machine for an extended trip. You could do it on an LT, the roads are good enough. My thoughts pertain to every time you leave the road. There are few to no shoulders and what pavement exists off highway is poor. Some gas stations aren't even paved.
Plus. on a long trip I can fit more gear in the Jesse bags than on the LT! ;)

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
I can let you know in March. My wife and I have a trip planned with MotoDiscovery. We only have the LT.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Having looked at the pics from Ted, I have to say that this is no LT terrain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys

Motorman, let us know how your trip is in March. Let me know if I need to come up with an excuse to convince my wife I need a need bike.

Dave

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
Nicely put, Dave.

"But honey, it's a need bike." :D

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
heavyd said:
Motorman, let us know how your trip is in March. Let me know if I need to come up with an excuse to convince my wife I need a need bike.

Dave
Looks like you have a couple of "needs" bikes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
TT races......

2006 is going to be to the Eastern edge of Canada to see the first TT Race to hit North America - same promoters as the Isle of Mann TT race.

Can you tell me more about the TT races? I'm a big fan of the Isle of Mann races. Is there a web site with information? I look forward to your reply.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Needs

I guess I need a new bike, or so I would like to think. I just got the KTM and haven't had the weather to ride it yet. A BMW GS would be interesting as would a KTM Adventure.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
"So I am thinking about 2007 already. Has anyone ridden through Mexico? I was thinking of heading south through Mexico and on to Belize, then taking a different route back."

I think you'll find that there is only one way back - and it would be best accomplished on a GS. (Unless you take a cruise!) I would never even THINK of taking my LT - this is GS territory, period.

Make sure you take time to explore the interior of Panama and Ecuador while you are there - you just may find a place to retire or buy a second home. Belize is OK but the good opportunites for remote beaches and mountain hideways are further south.

The high country in both Panama and Ecuador is AWESOME! The roads.... SUCK! ;)

... and make sure you don't go during the rainy season...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts