BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Bought a used 2005 Ocean Blue in mid-July.

The electrical options put on by the dealer were a mess. Crappy connections, no labeling, things didn't work right.

So I stripped it down to rewire, and cleaned and treated every surface, wire and bolt using cleaner/wax and rubber rejuvinator (and about a half-dozen detail brushes). I had to, the bike lived in the desert and everything was dirty and drying out.

So here it is clean and ready to be put back together. The electricals are done by this time and the instruments and speakers are back on (switched to Alpine speakers). The plastic on the instrument panel is because I got a new cover for them ($130) - the last owner wasn't careful when cleaning and it was hazed with swirl marks.

You couldn't walk around in my apartment because of all the parts spread out everywhere - living room, dining room and dining table and kitchen counters and floor. It took almost 8 weeks.

Have a look:

mike p

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Wow, now if you just put in the gas tank and a seat you could have really lightweight LT to ride on. :p

Oh, well maybe you'd still need some front and tail lights, turn signals and why not some storage space and a rear seat for mommy, and some fairings for wind protection and...and..

No really, I am planning to do the same to mine (again) this winter, but I bet it will just be my good intention.

Great (and big) job you have done! Just make sure you will not have left over parts for a second LT when you are done...:)
Regards

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
Desert???

Now what's all this noise about the bike living in the desert that it dried out? Mine's been living in the desert for over 3-years with no ill effects. Its nice and clean - it only get's dirty when I get to the coast.:p

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
And I can hardly find enough time to ride around the block.
Very inspirational though.

·
Premium Member
8,156 Posts
Mike, let me know if you need some help putting it back together. I am in Van Nuys. Whereabout are you in L.A.?
mrbiker said:
Hi all,

Bought a used 2005 Ocean Blue in mid-July.

The electrical options put on by the dealer were a mess. Crappy connections, no labeling, things didn't work right.

So I stripped it down to rewire, and cleaned and treated every surface, wire and bolt using cleaner/wax and rubber rejuvinator (and about a half-dozen detail brushes). I had to, the bike lived in the desert and everything was dirty and drying out.

So here it is clean and ready to be put back together. The electricals are done by this time and the instruments and speakers are back on (switched to Alpine speakers). The plastic on the instrument panel is because I got a new cover for them ($130) - the last owner wasn't careful when cleaning and it was hazed with swirl marks.

You couldn't walk around in my apartment because of all the parts spread out everywhere - living room, dining room and dining table and kitchen counters and floor. It took almost 8 weeks.

Have a look:

mike p

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
BMW's new naked cruiser...

Hell, I'd leave it like that...

put a seat on it, fabricate some protective bars for the vulnerable areas, tell people it's the new Suzuki B-King, they won't know the difference!

you did a great job, it looks fabulous.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Hey! Mine is that clean. Ok. It was till we rode in the dust. But I cheated - it's an 07. Great job. An inspiration, even! Maybe next winter???? <G>

·
Registered
70 Posts
Who Has Done this to their LT

I dream about doing this, then I look at all those screws, knowing there are alot more hidden I don't even know about yet. Hoping for a tech session in my area.
Sacramento area
'05 LT light yellow.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Bare naked

Where are the moderators when you need them? Somebody is posting pictures of bare naked laydees and they are not being pulled ;-))))

Just kidding - great job and I am sure an inspiration to those of us that can be bothered ;-)

regards

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Looks REALLY good!

I think I will wait a year or two :p

Don't forget a big tube of dialectic grease for all those connectors you have out in the open now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Very Long!!!!

pozo_izquierdo said:
Just make sure you will not have left over parts for a second LT when you are done...:)
Regards
Three screws were left over - all three are weird looking. I did have to make a few decisions on what holes got 12 or 15 or 20 mm T25 screws. There is a lot of help here for that, plus I bought the BMW fiche and Clymer manual (believe me, having both REALLY helped) but there's a lot of undocumented screw lengths - most notably, the nose cone area.

I also had a little round rubber cap left over. About 3/4" round an a few millimeters high. I remember taking it off but forgot where it goes back. If anybody knows where it goes...

Read an article in this months Motocycle Consumer News (my favorite motorcycle mag) about being so excited about taking things apart you don't document them thinking you'll remember. Eight weeks later, I was really pissed at myself for not slowing down and documenting (things come off real fast and go on real slow). Before I started, someone said make liberal use of a digital camera. I did not. Another mistake.

Tom_Becker said:
what's all this noise about the bike living in the desert that it dried out?
It was living in Palmdale, CA. Covered with a fine desert dust/dirt. Very hard to get off. I'd wash things with a sponge and soap and when it dried, there'd still be dirt on it!

zippy_gg) said:
Mike, let me know if you need some help putting it back together. I am in Van Nuys. Whereabout are you in L.A.?
The picture below is 2 days after I finished putting it back together - at the Grand Canyon. My suggestion to anyone who does this (besides the above advice) is to go back over the whole bike with a torque wrench. I wasn't happy about finishing the bike and leaving the next day (my plan was to finish a month earlier, but again - it comes apart fast and goes together slow).

Monterey Park - Just east of Downtown. Let's ride! Or drop by for some fabulous Chinese food.

petervandyke) said:
put a seat on it, fabricate some protective bars for the vulnerable areas, tell people it's the new Suzuki B-King, they won't know the difference!
You can put the seat, tank, and crash bars on it and drive it that way. I did to make sure I had a few things right. Wow, is it a different bike without the weight.

taylorjn) said:
Hey! Mine is that clean. Ok. It was till we rode in the dust. But I cheated - it's an 07.
:D
cdrprn) said:
I dream about doing this, then I look at all those screws, knowing there are alot more hidden I don't even know about yet.
That's what I thought. But surprisingly, there aren't that many hidden. Just take from me what I learned - document, document, document.

LAF) said:
Don't forget a big tube of dialectic grease for all those connectors you have out in the open now.
DID IT! :dance:

I documented everything when I did this to my ZX-12R when I got it four years ago and it was fast and easy to put it back together. I still have the ZX-12R and it looks showroom fresh 'cuz now I can just wash it and use a little Protect-All or Honda Polish and it's back to new again.

So here's what I did:

Installed BMR shelf with Garmin Zumo 550 and XM Navtraffic.
Added Passport 9500 Radar Detector.
Removed 6 Disc Changer and replaced with Dice interface and 60Gb iPod.
Wired everything to a Autocom Super Pro Avi.
Powered everything through a Touratech relay-activated fuse block.
Rewired the poorly done SmarTire (I love this thing - dead-nuts accurate).
Installed Suburban Machinary peg lowering kit.
Installed Cee Bailey Windshield - #2 with wings -4" clear & round.
Installed the fuel line connector upgrades (not by choice :eek: )
As mentioned, upgraded to four Alpine speakers
Replaced parts that weren't taken care of (did you know those wings next to the windshield are $55? EACH??????)

Here's the kicker - I ran all wires through 3/4" plastic hosing from under the headlight to just over the front of the battery and pulled electricians string through it so I can pull more wires without disassembling. Also, I bought 8 foot sub-mini stereo extension cables (four) from Radio Shack and ran them from front to back (you can see the three white connectors in the picture below). Now all the accessories that go into the Autocom have their plugs under the front fairing cover - and they're clearly labeled. So if I have a problem or want to ad or change accessories, I merely remove the fairing cover and there it all is!

Lastly, whoever wired the Autocom speaker cut-off was a dolt. So I undid the whole thing (about 25 bullet connectors) and wired in a plug to the speaker wires. Now when I take off the tupperware, it's just another plug to take the music interface off. And I made a loopback connector so if the switch goes kablooey (which they have a reputation for) I can plug in the loopback plug and the bike stereo goes back to stock operation.

MOST OF THE OPTIONS I DID came from information I got here.

I got REALLY bummed that the board crashed the day before I left and didn't work the whole time I was gone. Three or four questions came up that I would have liked help with.

So thanks for the praise - this place is great - and below you'll see the ONLY reason I bought this bike:

Thanks all

mike p.

The ride between the north and south rim of the Grand Canyon:

Before the rewire job:

And after. What you can hardly see (below) is all wires are wrapped with labels - nothing to chance!

Added in the Autocom 1321 music interface bypass switch with a molex connector. The A/B/C labels now correspond to the A/B/C I wrote in my Clymer manual so I don't have to read diagrams and wires to figure out what's what. The L on the molex connector means that is the stereo's left side wires. Now if a speaker goes dead, I know which side of the connector to start troubleshooting. Note shrink-wrap and wire ties on all connections - everywhere. Another idea I got from this board!!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I like it. Once the warranty is of my 05 I will have to see if I can get it striped down that far without breaking
anything. :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Very nice job. I wish I had the wherewithall to do the same thing to my bike.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
uugggghhh

Put some clothes on, it's like seeing my grandma (rip) without clothes. ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mike,

You mentioned that you changed speakers, how do they sound? I recently switched the rears to Polk Audio db Series db525, but the radio on my 2001 LT does not have the power to drive them so the sound is not as good as expected. Did you have to add an amp?

Thanks,

Jose

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I have had mine down to that and more during it's "extreme makeover" which took about two weeks to complete. Things that were done included; Remus exhaust, Rhinewest cam grears, HID, new fuse block, LOUD horn, voltage gauge, autocom, some service things and a bunch of little things. It was fun though.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I've had mine down to this point -- and...check the second photo to see how clean it was on the INSIDE! Check pics below:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
How long did it take

I could do that...if I had six months. I like to pretend that everything is just fine under all that plastic. Now you've made me doubt it. I'm going to just act as if I never saw this photo.

·
Registered
389 Posts
grahamw said:
Where are the moderators when you need them? Somebody is posting pictures of bare naked laydees and they are not being pulled ;-))))

Just kidding - great job and I am sure an inspiration to those of us that can be bothered ;-)

regards
Hey, you stole my line. I was going to complain about the nudity on this post! All kidding aside, I too found less than tidy work done by the dealer when I had them install PIAA lights and the CB/Intercom back when I wasn't courageous enough to tackle the work myself. When I recently did a tear down to put in the GPS, I went ahead and re-routed the wires that were seemingly strewn about, hung on the steering damper and near fuel injector lines, etc., and made it neater. I can't say I did such a thorough job as our friend who started this thread, but I can tell you it makes a difference to see the wiring done properly.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts