BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't able to find the thread, but I thought I read somewhere that someone had found a company that was able to repair the electric motor that actuates the hydraulic cylinder for the 2005+ LT's. I live in Canada, and I don't really care what part of the planet I have to ship this thing to. I've got a new one ordered, but I want this one repaired as a backup.
After my spill awhile ago, it's just easier to mount and dismount using the center stand, plus the fact that I absolutely do not trust that side stand. Both the LT's I had scared the bejubus out of me with the amount of spring the sidestand has. Anytime I'm forced to use it, I keep waiting for it to finally snap. I've watched in horror as medium winds get that bike rocking on the sidestand.
I know you cannot order the parts from BMW, I've been down that road, or I'd fix it myself. I have searched for a week and could not find anywhere in this city of a million people that would touch that thing with a 10 foot pole. Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,411 Posts
PM sent.

·
Registered
426 Posts
A good source for all LT repairs is a gentlemen here on the list. ErnieA , he has a shop in the Portland,OR area, and does wonderful work at a very fare rate.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
RockMonkey said:
I wasn't able to find the thread, but I thought I read somewhere that someone had found a company that was able to repair the electric motor that actuates the hydraulic cylinder for the 2005+ LT's. I live in Canada, and I don't really care what part of the planet I have to ship this thing to. I've got a new one ordered, but I want this one repaired as a backup.
Before we found the supplier of the replacement motor, I'd sent mine off to a small motor engineering shop (in Melbourne, I'm in Sydney) for a quote on getting it repaired. They said they couldn't quote without seeing it first... so shipped it off ($10), they emailed saying it would be $120 or so.... ouch!
Meantime, the replacement motor was found online, and at ~ $50 shipped to Australia from the US!
So I had the original shipped back to me (another $10) so I could compare to the online one... which I bought.
Moral... it isn't worth getting it repaired! ... unless you can get it done for small change.
That same motor from EMS global (HS-50N Honda scooter starter) is at the top of their best-seller list... (I wonder why? :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've gotten some responses from some of the great people here on the sight. I now have a couple of options. Thank you everyone for the information, and I will make sure to let you all know how it all worked out!

George Guest

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
That is the same model HS-50N that is mentioned in the previous article you mentioned.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,411 Posts
That is it and it is fairly easy to do yourself. Just need a little heat shrink to cover where the positive lead connects.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all so very much. Heat shrink I have. I'm looking into getting the motor now. I still can't believe Beemer won't ship it seperately, or inform us where to get one. Bastiges . . . . :mad:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,411 Posts
RockMonkey said:
Thank you all so very much. Heat shrink I have. I'm looking into getting the motor now. I still can't believe Beemer won't ship it seperately, or inform us where to get one. Bastiges . . . . :mad:
That is beause they didn't make it and didn't want to pay the manufacturer for parts support. They could not control the motor manufacturer but they did control the pump manufacturer. They will not sell to anyone but BMW.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
jzeiler said:
That is beause they didn't make it and didn't want to pay the manufacturer for parts support. They could not control the motor manufacturer but they did control the pump manufacturer. They will not sell to anyone but BMW.

(HIJACK) Too bad they could not control the folks who did final assembly on the FDs...(/HIJACK)

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I sent a note to EMS Global suggesting that they also put on the web page for the HS-50N that it is "a suitable replacement for the K1200LT EHCS motor", hopefully to make it easier for others to find that don't know the benefits of this forum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got this response from another supplier. Not sure which is correct.

Sorry a HS-50N will not work for this application, The SM-10 starter is actually an HS-49 starter and is different than the HS-50. The HS-49 is for a Honda NQ50 Spree and the HS-50N is for a Honda Elite 80 cc.

Thanks, DB

DB ELECTRICAL
5359 KINGSPORT HWY
GRAY TN 37615
800-753-2242

I do know that a HS-50 is a $50 item and HS-49 is a $140 item. I took the motor apart and one of the brushes is gone. Also the brush end of motor was full of black grease. Is that normal?

Has anyone actually used an HS-50?

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Yes, its been running on my LT ever since SimonCharles discovered it (see thread)!
this is the one we've been referring to (HS-50N):
http://www.emsglobaldirect.com/product.php?productid=27&cat=23&bestseller=Y

There is a MINOR difference between the OEM and this one.. in that you need to drill out the hole in the positive connection tab as its not big enough, that takes a few seconds to do.
Other than that its been performing flawlessly for over 2 years now.
US$38 + delivery sounds a lot better than $140 +...

Edit: just looked up that model, which EMS dont seem to stock.. maybe it is the "more correct" one as it has the larger hole... but not at nearly 4x the price.... ($139.95)

Edit 2.... on the same "Stockers" site... they have the HS-50N for $69.95... nearly twice the price of the EMS global site... funny thing is that "Stockers" also says its "an EMS company".... go figure. :confused:

cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok, I ordered a HS-50 on Ebay from DBelectrical for $31. and free shipping. Saved $20 over EMS Global as they wanted $12. to ship.

NEW Starter Honda Elite 80cc 80 CH80 Scooter 1993-2007
Item Id:130697914042 - Price: US $31.50

I figure if nothing else I can pull the brushes and fix mine. I will post an update when I get part.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
As long as its got 10 teeth/splines it should be good... bit hard to count them on the online pic.... but both options say Honda Elite CH80... good find for US guys... no good for us because they want $59 shipping (ouch).

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,411 Posts
I am running one now in mine. Works fine. Didn't have to drill out the hole on the one I got from EMS Global. Had to do a rebuild on the hydrualics though as the new motor was just quiter than the old one - didn't fix my "no lift" issue. :p

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
cws said:
As long as its got 10 teeth/splines it should be good... bit hard to count them on the online pic.... but both options say Honda Elite CH80... good find for US guys... no good for us because they want $59 shipping (ouch).
How many do you want, Chris? Have them shipped to me, creat a shipping label at USPS.com and email to me, and I will post them to you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts