BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

On travelling approx 100 klm, I needed to really gun the BM, Dropped a gear, and when looking through the mirrow seen heaps of white smoke coming from my bike. Is this a problem??

Graham

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure if this applies but I had that problem with my ST1100 after I did
an oil change and accidentally overfilled, have you recently changed or topped oil ?

Tony
1200LT 05

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
Are you sure it was white smoke?

White smoke is usually burning oil. It's normal to see some on the LT at startup, especially if it was parked on the side stand allowing oil to seep past the rings and get on top of the pistons.

Black smoke is usually caused by an over-rich condition (too much fuel). If you slam the throttle open, the LT goes full-rich and you will get black smoke out the tailpipe. I've heard it described as "There was a puff of black smoke and then you were just gone."

I'd say ride it some more and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
meese said:
Are you sure it was white smoke?

White smoke is usually burning oil. It's normal to see some on the LT at startup, especially if it was parked on the side stand allowing oil to seep past the rings and get on top of the pistons.

Black smoke is usually caused by an over-rich condition (too much fuel). If you slam the throttle open, the LT goes full-rich and you will get black smoke out the tailpipe. I've heard it described as "There was a puff of black smoke and then you were just gone."

I'd say ride it some more and keep an eye on it.
Definitely white smoke (and lots of it). I have really not looked in the rear mirror before when gunning the Beemer and was amazed of how much there was. I pulled out of a rest area onto main road and gave her the gun due to a Mack Truck was loaming up onto me. That's when I gave her the gun to get out there. Looked back to see where the Mack was but all I could see was white smoke(couldn't see the Mack).

·
Registered
675 Posts
IMHO - white smoke is more commonly associated with water being added to heat - a very bad sign in your case. Head gasket??

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
jorawro said:
IMHO - white smoke is more commonly associated with water being added to heat - a very bad sign in your case. Head gasket??
+1
You beat me to it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
+1 on the head gasket. Have you checked the coolant level recently? Oil smoke tends to be bluish grey in colour.

Ken

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you suspect the head gasket, you might also want to bang on a coolant pressure tester, start her up, and see if the tester needle judders at the same beat as the engine. Indicating engine pressure leaking into the coolant. Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kriach said:
+1 on the head gasket. Have you checked the coolant level recently? Oil smoke tends to be bluish grey in colour.

Ken
Hi

Checked the coolant and seems to be OK. Haven't got one of those Coolant Pressure Testers. Temp seems to be OK (doesn't go into the red, that nomally tells you if you have a Head Gasket blown). I supposed I will just keep an eye on her.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The temp won't necessarily be off, but it does sound like a coolant leak. As the others suggested, it will most likely be a head gasket. Good luck!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Last time I saw anything like that was on an Airhead, passing a line of cars with oncoming traffic closing in rapidly. Dropped won a gear, nailed the throttle and didn't let it rip. I was concentrating on the oncoming vehicles, and must have pinned the tachometer needle on the upper stop and then some.

I think it sucked oil through the breather and, for the next mile or so I was riding a 2-stroke with a theatrical smoke generator and mosquito a fogger attached.

The cars I was passing backed off 1/2 mile or so. It cleared up and didn't repeat.

You might have just over-revved it...

·
Registered
72 Posts
kpwrig said:
Hi

Checked the coolant and seems to be OK. Haven't got one of those Coolant Pressure Testers. Temp seems to be OK (doesn't go into the red, that nomally tells you if you have a Head Gasket blown). I supposed I will just keep an eye on her.

Coolant gauge won't always tell you a head gasket problem is there. Have had two go on me, one on an over the road truck and that one it was an oil leak that indicated the problem. Second one was on a large gas engine. Only indication was big cloud of white smoke (aka, steam) coming out the exhaust. On neither one did the temp gauge tell me anything but normal operating temp the whole time.

·
Registered
457 Posts
JimH said:
Last time I saw anything like that was on an Airhead, passing a line of cars with oncoming traffic closing in rapidly. Dropped won a gear, nailed the throttle and didn't let it rip. I was concentrating on the oncoming vehicles, and must have pinned the tachometer needle on the upper stop and then some.

I think it sucked oil through the breather and, for the next mile or so I was riding a 2-stroke with a theatrical smoke generator and mosquito a fogger attached.

The cars I was passing backed off 1/2 mile or so. It cleared up and didn't repeat.

You might have just over-revved it...
The K bike supposedly will suck in oil from the crankcase breather system if you over fill the bike. Overfilling consists of more than 3/4 up the site glass. However as described this would cause Bluish smoke. since your concern is white smoke I would guess you are steam cleaning at least one cylinder if not more. The best part of that is there is really nothing to clean up on that cylinder before replacing a head gasket if it is blown. Not that I have ever been in an engine and seen the head gasket blown or a cracked head 3 times. Stupid Oldsmobile Quad 4 motor.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Jabrown said:
...However as described this would cause Bluish smoke. since your concern is white smoke I would guess you are steam cleaning at least one cylinder if not more...
I agree that blue smoke is oil, and white 'smoke' is steam, or water-based coolant. I know that I could not tell from my brief glance in the mirrors if the smoke was really white or whitish-blue since I was preoccupied with passing cars.

I offer this to suggest that this was possibly a one-time event. In any case, keep an eye out for more smoke, particularly when not riding particularly hard.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
When you parked your bike did you park it on the side stand? I have had this happen on a trip, roll off the freeway park bike on the side stand run to the head and pee then get back on the bike fire it up and roll back on the road full boar to get back into the traffic and lots of smoke. It is hard to tell what the color the smoke is looking in the mirrow and with the sun's glare. But i never covered up a Mack truck either! Has it done it sense or any other times on this trip? If it was just a one time occurance I wouldn't worry to much. If it keeps doing it worry.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dmatson said:
When you parked your bike did you park it on the side stand? I have had this happen on a trip, roll off the freeway park bike on the side stand run to the head and pee then get back on the bike fire it up and roll back on the road full boar to get back into the traffic and lots of smoke. It is hard to tell what the color the smoke is looking in the mirrow and with the sun's glare. But i never covered up a Mack truck either! Has it done it sense or any other times on this trip? If it was just a one time occurance I wouldn't worry to much. If it keeps doing it worry.

Yeah!! I parked the bike on sidestand, Had a pee and a nicotine injection, not that long. I am interstate at the moment (not on bike) and will do a complete check on weekend. Hopefully it is not the head and the white smoke was just an hallucination and really was bluish smoke, as did have some sun glare.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
hmmm, yep, seen that from mine before too, Graham...

Solution!
I stopped looking back after gunning it .... ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts