BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising on US 23 N in SE Michigan at 4:40 PM at the 35 mile marker when I came upon 2 RT's going in the opposite direction. I did not catch the color of the first RT other than to spot the fairing with the roundel on the side. To my surprize the second RT was a distinctive white. My mind ran through the color choices for RT's in a second and I could not come up with white as a past R1200 RT color. So I must have seen a custom paint job or... a 2013 "Last Edition" R1200 RT. It really looked good too.

·
Registered
235 Posts
:) Could have been a RT-P I think some of them were painted white.I have been thinking about painting mine a PEARL WHITE sort of like the paint on the CTS or Lexus.Don't want a new ride,just a new color.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It wasn't a Police bike. No Police markings or equipment. Bone stock. Here in Michigan the State Boys run R1200 RT's but they are painted state trooper blue with all the RTP gear on them. We have EPA certification labs in this area for the auto industry so ...???

·
Registered
235 Posts
Here in the South,most of the LEO's use a white bike with all the stuff on them.I still like the white pearl.Maybe a project this summer if I can park the bike long enough.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was going to paint my F800ST this summer but I traded it instead for my RT.

I'll give the RT a year or two in it's stock grey metallic and then proceed with my plans to paint it "Corvette White" (white with a faint silver/grey tint).

·
Registered
296 Posts
LOTS of white RT-Ps out there with the stickers and LEO "extras" pulled off before sale, as required. You can usually spot them by the lack of the rear pillion. Usually a "hideaway" or radio mount of some sort. Also, most have "city lids" on the side cases.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll stick with my original observation and say that what I saw was a 2013 R1200 RT "Last Edition". It was NOT an RTP. I know what I saw and can't see anyone painting a brand new RT white. It looked "factory" even from the opposite side of the expressway.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's right... you think what ever you want...

However, there are a lot of white RT's in Florida... every one I have seen are RT-P's. Some look just like stock... but are former Cop rides.

Check out that link above... there is a white one there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
wvpc said:
I'll stick with my original observation and say that what I saw was a 2013 R1200 RT "Last Edition". It was NOT an RTP. I know what I saw and can't see anyone painting a brand new RT white. It looked "factory" even from the opposite side of the expressway.

I'm planning to do just that. I have a local gentleman that will paint my 2011 RT the same Pearl White seen on Cadallic's.
I'll post pictures when it is finished.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
DocCarroll said:
I'm planning to do just that. I have a local gentleman that will paint my 2011 RT the same Pearl White seen on Cadallic's.
I'll post pictures when it is finished.

That is the very color that I have chosen for my current Ostra gray 2011.
Looking forward to the pics..

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Please post the pics when you get it painted. I've wanted to paint mine white too! I almost bought an RT-P just to get one in white!

·
Registered
6 Posts
White R1200RTs have been available since Oct 2011 as a special edition color here in Japan, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of BMW Japan Motorrad:
http://en.responsejp.com/article/2011/09/27/162928.html
You can still find new ones in some dealers (photo attached). Unfortunately R1200RT are much more expensive here than in the the states (about $33k) so you probably wouldn't want to import one...

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
MARKW
Thanks for the photo. It is helpful to see what mine might look like. I did notice something that I still need to address. The bottom portion, around the engine, on mine is silver color; and not black as in the photo. I think the silver on mine might look out of place with black and white everywhere else.... Somebody suggested I paint it all the same light silver instead of white. Now I'm confused again. :confused:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks markw for posting the picture of the white RT. That is exactly what I saw with the dark "lowers" on the fairing. I did not know BMW issued a 30th anniversary edition for the Japan market. Hmmmm. I spotted this bike 2 miles from the Toyota Technical Center Headquarters in Michigan.

DocCarroll, If it were me I would paint the lowers darker. I posted earlier asking if anyone was willing to trade the darker lowers for the silver ones I have but had no takers. Maybe this winter I will paint mine as I like the darker lower look.

Happy riding!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts