BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking and following the forum since I sold my Duc last Oct. I am getting close to pulling the trigger and finally buying a RT,but i have a question.

I want to have bluetooth communication of my iphone for calls and audio plus later I wish to also have GPS audio bluetooth to my helmet. It seems that with the Sena bluetooth the only thing I would gain by purchashin a 2011 is the audio dial on the laft grip to control the volume. If theres more that I am missing please feel free to let me know.

Also,I do not care to here music/sound out ot the speakers in the fairing. I don't believe I would be able to hear them very well anyway with a fullface helmet on at highway speeds.

Thanks for any advise/help you can give.

·
Registered
492 Posts
not sure if your 2010 is the same as ours but I think it is I have the volume control on left grip and sat nav wired (naviv)direct to the radio.I fitted a bluetooth dongle to the line out on the radio and that transmits via bluetooth to my headset works fine for me.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Daaron said:
I have been looking and following the forum since I sold my Duc last Oct. I am getting close to pulling the trigger and finally buying a RT,but i have a question.

I want to have bluetooth communication of my iphone for calls and audio plus later I wish to also have GPS audio bluetooth to my helmet. It seems that with the Sena bluetooth the only thing I would gain by purchashin a 2011 is the audio dial on the laft grip to control the volume. If theres more that I am missing please feel free to let me know.

Also,I do not care to here music/sound out ot the speakers in the fairing. I don't believe I would be able to hear them very well anyway with a fullface helmet on at highway speeds.

Thanks for any advise/help you can give.
The left handle dial is there on either year if you have the optional stereo. The 2011 added bluetooth functionality to the stereo, the 2010 must be fitted as explained above. I believe that's the only difference. New 2010's are very hard to come by, their may only be a handfull left in the US.

I did not want the stereo on mine as I load several gigs of music on the GPS and listen that way with a bluetooth connection to my headset.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I believe the 2011's will also have Sirus Satellite radio after the Feb. build date. Check with your dealer.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I believe I read on here somewhere that the 2010 radio also has the bluetooth function but has to be switched on by a dealer via an update.Has anyone had this done yet?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if I understand this correctly,I can add and have the same bluetooth system on a 2010 model?
The reason I am asking is there is a 2010 model in the area for $18,000 with just 3,000miles. That would save me at least $3,600 I believe over a new 2011.

Thanks

·
Registered
492 Posts
Daaron said:
So if I understand this correctly,I can add and have the same bluetooth system on a 2010 model?
The reason I am asking is there is a 2010 model in the area for $18,000 with just 3,000miles. That would save me at least $3,600 I believe over a new 2011.

Thanks
There is a thread about this on here I have seen several refering to this but never from anyone who has had the update done.If you do a search you will find them I would imagine its early on april may june time this year.
Because I did not want to wait I fitted a bluetooth dongle to the line out on my radio and I believe several others have aswell.I have also read a thread on another forum which says that the volume control does not work when the radio is in bluetooth mode unles you have a bmw bluetooth helmet when using an ipod.
This guy had only just picked up his bike so he may have not configured it right.
Can anyone confirm this on this forum who has the newer 2011?
If this is the case I am glad I fitted the dongle as I have all the functions through my F4.

·
Registered
144 Posts
This is correct, the volume doesn't work from the handle bar control in BT on my 2011 RT. I am using the Sena SMH-10 headset and everything is paired correctly. I also notice the volume level display that normally works when adjusting from the handlebar does show any numbers when in BT mode. It seems the radio shuts down this adjustment function when in BT mode. This isn't a big deal with the SENA when the volume is easily adjusted through the headset's large rotary control.

·
Registered
498 Posts
IMO, I'd go for the 2010 with 3000 miles. The saving would allow you to add any additional toys not coming with or presently on either (top case, GPS, radar, new riding gear; etc..

Lawrence

1 - 9 of 9 Posts