BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fixing to have to put new tires on my 09 RT and was just wondering which of these two usually generate the higher mileage, PR2's or PR3's? I am generally more of a straight line rider due to where I live and on the OEM's I will get about 10,000 miles out of them. I could go just a little more on front, but will replace both. I am not a hot rodder or anything, more of a cruiser, but love the RT. Who has had both and which got you the higher mileage?

· Registered
296 Posts
Have used both on different bikes-ST'ers. Main diff btwn 2 and 3 is/are the stipits (hey-thats what they call 'em) which are added full depth grooves that aid in wet handling-channeling more water. They are both superb tires regardless of weather.

· Registered
73 Posts
Ordered a new set of PR3's Thursday and hope to have them installed by Wednesday. Dealer didn't have much information on them as they haven't gotten enough feedback yet. I probably could have gotten another 1k miles or so out of my Z6's but I have a trip coming up and didn't want to chance it. 8k miles isn't bad tho. Guess we will see.

· Registered
1,277 Posts
Mileage for me is better with the PR3. They also do not square off as quickly as the PR2 did. The PR3's are great rain tires, and very sticky on dry stuff. Excellent tires.

· Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Absolutely the PR3s. I've run them both - a lot of miles on both. The PR3 returns significantly better mileage than the PR2s did for me. The rear PR2 squares badly and the fronts cupped like mad. No such problem with the PR3. The ones I'm running right now have 10,196 miles on them - just walked to the garage to check that for you. There is no question they will easily go another 3,000 miles, probably more without pushing it too hard.

I'm not a flower sniffing rider by any stretch of the imagination and demand a lot out of my tires. The PR3 works for me.

Just a side note - I generally run 40/40 or 40/42 if I'm droning on the interestate - which I avoid as much as possible. Higher pressures on the PR3 puts less of the softer compound in the center in the contact patch area. My rear tire right now looks very close to the new profile, just worn some.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
390 Posts
steveaikens said:
Absolutely the PR3s. I've run them both - a lot of miles on both. The PR3 returns significantly better mileage than the PR2s did for me. The rear PR2 squares badly and the fronts cupped like mad. No such problem with the PR3. The ones I'm running right now have 10,196 miles on them - just walked to the garage to check that for you. There is no question they will easily go another 3,000 miles, probably more without pushing it too hard.

I'm not a flower sniffing rider by any stretch of the imagination and demand a lot out of my tires. The PR3 works for me.

Just a side note - I generally run 40/40 or 40/42 if I'm droning on the interestate - which I avoid as much as possible. Higher pressures on the PR3 puts less of the softer compound in the center in the contact patch area. My rear tire right now looks very close to the new profile, just worn some.

Hope this helps.
+1. Going on 11K and looking good for another 2 or 3. I use the same pressures. For sure when it comes time to replace it will be another set.

· Registered
679 Posts
I have a friend with a 09 RT and he just ran through a set of PR3's. He said they were the first tires that wore out in the middle first, and that he got better miles on the PR2's. Go figure. He is an aggressive rider and wearing out in the middle first seems strange to me. Anyway, that is what he said and I just wanted to share.

Ultra LT

· Registered
127 Posts
It's interesting to hear riders talk about 11k miles out of their PR3 tires. I'm able to get about 7.5k rear and 10k front, at the most. Still, that's 1-1.5k better than what I got from PR2 tires.

· Registered
346 Posts
Very interesting reading about the higher pressures some of you are running. Did you arrive at them through trial and error, manufacturer's recommendation, or what? I've been spoiled by 15-17,000 mile tire life on my last bike, so I'd like to hear your secrets.

· Registered
390 Posts
EZEC said:
Looks like I made the right decision. 11k miles...wow!
When I first had the tires mounted they were pretty new on the market. My local dealer's service manager gave me a super deal on them, if I would simply take a few photos and gave him my thoughts as the miles added up.

A real test came in a ride from from Las Vegas to Ft. Smith, Arkansas. Rain coming and (mostly) going. Wet traction is much better, steering feel and angular changes (leans) now have no "pucker factor" in the rain. Dry roads, I honestly can't find much of a difference, which is to say they feel good. I have noticed, however, as one previous poster wrote; the tire seems to be resisting squaring off, they maintain the nice rounded profile, and are only now beginning to show flattening along the centers. My pressure's are usually 40-42 or 38-40, for a solo rider.
Another curious thing, and I'll take my oath on it, they hardly ever lose air. I still check almost every pre-ride. Don't know why or what but they hold pressure like no other tire I've had. Maybe somebody else could comment on that also.

· Registered
1,207 Posts
05Train said:
Very interesting reading about the higher pressures some of you are running. Did you arrive at them through trial and error, manufacturer's recommendation, or what? I've been spoiled by 15-17,000 mile tire life on my last bike, so I'd like to hear your secrets.
I would like to hear YOUR secret?
:)

· Registered
73 Posts
heavynikonf3 said:
When I first had the tires mounted they were pretty new on the market. My local dealer's service manager gave me a super deal on them, if I would simply take a few photos and gave him my thoughts as the miles added up.

A real test came in a ride from from Las Vegas to Ft. Smith, Arkansas. Rain coming and (mostly) going. Wet traction is much better, steering feel and angular changes (leans) now have no "pucker factor" in the rain. Dry roads, I honestly can't find much of a difference, which is to say they feel good. I have noticed, however, as one previous poster wrote; the tire seems to be resisting squaring off, they maintain the nice rounded profile, and are only now beginning to show flattening along the centers. My pressure's are usually 40-42 or 38-40, for a solo rider.
Another curious thing, and I'll take my oath on it, they hardly ever lose air. I still check almost every pre-ride. Don't know why or what but they hold pressure like no other tire I've had. Maybe somebody else could comment on that also.
Thanks for the info. I'm really looking forward to the new set of rubber.

· Registered
327 Posts
I got more miles from the PR2, than the PR3. In particualer the front PR3 wore out very quick circa 6k miles! (36psi)

Now these were winter miles and I do notice I wear tyres out quicker in the colder winter months mile for mile.
But reading the reports on how so many riders say they are getting better mileage from the PR3, I might just give them another go.

I have BT03C's on at the moment and they do seem to be given fairly good mileage through this winter, however I feel they are a little twitchy (makes the front of the RT feel a little light) and I'm not convinced on grip levels.
When these wear out I'll likely fit PR3's to these wheels, I have a pair of Conti Road attacks which I got at a very good deal on my spare wheels at the moment so will be tying them out this summer as well.
\v/

· Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Just to make sure we're all on the same page here. My comments relate to the PR2s and PR3s on a 2007 BMW R1200RT.

On that bike - 36 PSI is way too low if you're looking for tire mileage.

I rode just over 42,000 miles in 2011 and 20,000 miles in 2010 after buying the bike in June. Those miles were divided between PR2s and PR3s - mostly PR3s. I arrived at the pressures I use based on previous experience on other bikes with the PR2s and comparing my tire mileage with a friend that rides very similarly to my riding style on the same bike, as well as understand how motorcycle tires work.

With PR3s 40/40 or 40/42 generally works great for long interstate droning - depending on the load. 38/40 is good for normal back road traveling. 36/38 is the ticket for attacking curvey mountain roads.

ALL PRESSURES ARE COLD PRESSURES.

· Registered
327 Posts
I ride mostly curves, rarely long straight roads.
Perhaps that's why I prefer the 36 psi front pressure, At a higher pressure the bike was "nervous" on the front. (My tyre guy stuck 46psi in the front once on a new tyre, must have misheard me when I said 36) That was on this BT03, it felt really light on the front and I admit I stuck a couple of hundred miles on it before I check the pressure and found the error.

Mind you I'm not a heavy guy (77kgs fully kitted) perhaps that has an effect?

Perhaps that's my penance for enjoying the bike in the curves, less MPT :D
\v/

· Premium Member
1,066 Posts
That would do it...

I'm right at 162 this morning. About 7 over where I want to be. Weight does have a lot to do with performance. I ride solo all the time but run a top box and bags with a fuel cell on the rear. If I'm headed for the mountains, I pull all that and ride a naked RT. What a treat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.