BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the driver seat from a 2005 fit on a 99?

Considering upgrading seat and using a 05 model as the core.

Thanks in advance

Steve

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
One of the changes for 2005 model was the seat. So, no, it won't fit without modifications.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,916 Posts
If you normally run it in the high position you should be OK. Might have to trim a little platic underneath.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
If you do decide on going with an '05+ seat, please consider this SHAMELESS PLUG for a brand new set of seats that I am selling.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John

The fairing lip has been trimmed down to the point of about 1/4" left (the part on both sides below the driver seat) to allow seat to be set lower than factory low setting. I did not know this was done (PO did a good job) when I purchased bike.

With this said and the fact that I use the seat in the raised position most of the time, will the 05 fit or is it still a compromise?
The steel cross piece that goes under seat from one rail to other has also been removed.

I found this out after looking at another LT at a later date..

I was intending to purchase a 05 seat I found in adds and ship to Ron from point of purchase, then have finished seat shipped to just across border UPS store in NY state.

BUT I need to know for sure that it will fit??

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tony

as a core seat , not in right $ range.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok , so finally found my old post. Hard to believe month has gone by :crazy:

Thanks to Greg for being a middle man for me and shipping his/new to me seat to Ron for the Kontour treatment. Thanks Ron for your fine example of quality workmanship, as far as esthetics go at this point. More later....

The seat turned out very nice and seems much more comfortable sitting still ;) .Hopefully will be able to get a test ride in before the snow flies........all my available days are rain and temp are down around 35deg for highs :( . Looking forward to test riding, and anticipating I will be quite pleased (to help me forget how much this little escapade cost :D )

Some things I can comment on........: the 2005 seat does indeed fit a 1999 with absolutely no issues(for my case anyway). I am going to wire up this heated seat as original was not heated. (thanks John)

The seat pan on the 99 is made of hard molded plastic which seems as if it would be much more durable then the lighter (looks almost like hardened foam??) of the 05 seat. IN any case, it took 10 min to change with no issue.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I know the seats are different 99 vs 2005 so I'm glad it worked out for you. :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts