BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seat on my 2005 K1200LT is killing me arse. I've done a search and read opinions on the best aftermarket seat to get, but am still confused. Is there a specific seat brand that's recommended, or a seat rebuilder? Appreciate any advice I can get.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I've had my Russell Daylong for some time now. Tried Corbin and BMW softtouch (or whatever they called their plush seat), and disliked both. Very happy with the daylong. But I'm sure others would be as satisfactory.
Guess all I can say is that if I were to get another seat, I'd still get the Russell.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
I have the BMW soft touch on my 05. Not so great on any level, but I have ridden tens of thousands of miles on this seat.

Just installed a two week old Corbin yesterday and put a few miles on it. Got it as part of a trade. Seems ok, but the jury is still out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've only had two custom seats in my motorcycle career. Rich's out of Seattle and the Russell Day Long.

For my type of riding, (secondary highways with all the twisties I can find) I found that;

Rich's - Easily good for 500 mile days. I've done longer days but it got a little squirmy after 600 miles or so.

Russell - Not as sporty as Rich's, (like harder to hang of the seat a bit) but your butt will never complain. Your knees, back, neck or eyeballs will falter before your butt.

If you are into high mile days my vote is the Russell. Not as pretty as Rich's or the Meyer seats but hell, you can't see it when you're riding, right?

Bob

·
Registered
656 Posts
Depends an awful lot on how much you want to spend on a new saddle. I have a Daylong and could not be happier with it. My OEM seat on my 09 gave me 15-30 mins of riding time before I had to get off of it. IMO the Two best investments for the bike are a new saddle and shocks.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have Rick Mayer seats. Good for at least 500 miles. :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well, you've already got as many opinions as a search will turn up. Not so much help I guess. Here's another one: Mine is a Rocky (Bill) Mayer saddle and it's a great replacement that looks stock with much better leather.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Mayer......no, Russell.......no, Mayer......no, Kontour.......no, Corbin.......
These seem to be the favorite aftermarket saddles.
It is kinda like asking what are the best gloves for riding. (Don't even start....) :D

Look at all of the saddle websites.
Attend a rally and look around at different saddles.
Look at used bikes at dealers...many have custom saddles on them.
Have conversations with the owners of bikes with saddles that you like. They may let you sit on them to check the fit.

·
Registered
185 Posts
kk610lt said:
......Have conversations with the owners of bikes with saddles that you like. They may let you sit on them to check the fit.
Great idea. Only I'm the only LT within 50 miles of here. :D

I can say this, though: My stock "comfort" seat isn't nearly wide enough and hurts like heck after 30 minutes. I got a 2nd hand Corbin and I slide forward in it so I'm just sitting on the front, curved section so it sucks.

I have an order in for a Russell, but the manufacture date isn't until 8 June. That is my last hope. I'm not going to drop another grand on another seat if the Russell doesn't work out. I hope it does, cuz I love the bike...other than the horrid seat. If not, the classifieds will have a lightly used 07 on it. :mad:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Heracleitus said:
Great idea. Only I'm the only LT within 50 miles of here. :D

I can say this, though: My stock "comfort" seat isn't nearly wide enough and hurts like heck after 30 minutes. I got a 2nd hand Corbin and I slide forward in it so I'm just sitting on the front, curved section so it sucks.

I have an order in for a Russell, but the manufacture date isn't until 8 June. That is my last hope. I'm not going to drop another grand on another seat if the Russell doesn't work out. I hope it does, cuz I love the bike...other than the horrid seat. If not, the classifieds will have a lightly used 07 on it. :mad:
Organize a "ride to eat" in your area and you will meet some folks....from 50 to 300 miles.
I love my Russell saddle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts