BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just sold my 1985 wing and want to upgrade to an Lt.
the question is should I get the version with manual or hydraulic center stand. ?
the newer bikes (after 2005) also have about 15 more horsepower. Is it worth it?
I really appreciate Any feedback

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Different rake on the front end and more horsepower is a good thing. Hydraulic centerstand is OK. I just use my centerstand for maintenance and washing. I'd go 05 and newer if I did it again............ :D

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
beemermike said:
the question is should I get the version with manual or hydraulic center stand. ?
the newer bikes (after 2005) also have about 15 more horsepower. Is it worth it?

Mike
I really like my 07 including the electohydraulic centerstand. I'd definitely look for a later model or look at the 1600GTL, but coming from a Wing that probably would not scratch your itch.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Most guys here who owned a pre 05 and then got an 05 or newer will tell you the changes in 05 are worth it. Being honest, I didn't notice the increased HP as much the improved handling.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
sorchilla said:
Most guys here who owned a pre 05 and then got an 05 or newer will tell you the changes in 05 are worth it. Being honest, I didn't notice the increased HP as much the improved handling.
I've ridden both, and I'm still on on an '02. I didn't notice a difference in HP or handling.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
KISS!! :cool: I love the simplicity of my 99 :D

·
Premium Member
4,876 Posts
Got an 02 with 48,000 miles and -0- problems. Hardly ever use a center stand and think the additional weight and hydraulics as an unnecessary accessory.

All depends upon how much you want to spend......

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Some claim the pre-'05 models have a higher incidence of final drive failures, but I don't believe that is statistically proven.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I will admit that I don't put my 01' on the center stand much, but when i do it really really sucks (which is why i don't do it much). I would love the hydraulic center stand at any cost and will never own a pre 05' again.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a 2000. I like the brake system. Simple. Not hard to maintain.

I put on about 6000 miles a year.

I use the center stand all the time when the bike is in the garage. It took a little practice to get the hang of getting her up. Now it's almost effortless to me. I personally would not pay extra for the powered stand.

The motorcycle has plenty of power if you know how to use it.

Mine has a 2002 ComSystem. I only use it when riding 2up. Pulled the CD changer for more room. Use an MP3 player and good earbuds.

I'm a "bang for the buck" guy. A lot of bang for the buck in the early models. Several available in Phoenix BTW.

My 2 cents worth.

Kimble
Phoenix

·
Registered
110 Posts
First bike I ever bought was an '03. At the time I didn't even know such a thing as an hydraulic center stand even existed. Honestly, wish I had one. Do I miss it? No. I live with the greatest bike in can imagine owning. I have no legitimate complaints with what I did and am very happy with the results. But then I'm probably not the best judge, having only one bike and limited experience. But I really like what I have. :wave :wave :wave

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
My 2 cents in favour of later bikes

Seat designed for shorter riders (like me )
Theorectically easier to handle at lower speeds
I like my centre stand, makes it easier for the passenger to dismount.
Better lighting
More power, good when overtaking
Nicer dash with screen /computer
Looks better with the extra chrome etc ( my opinion )
Better resale value ?
BOTH are great bikes, whichever one you choose.

Good luck

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have an '02 and a '05...

Other than the points already made, the '05 does not have the annoying 4500 rpm buzz of the earlier models. This is important if you like to cruise around 80 mph.

Also, the electric locking with the key fob is a big plus.

Regards,

Doug

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If I were you, I would go for 2003-2004 or 2007-2009 models: Whichever you can afford.

Of course, the newer the better :)

beemermike said:

Mike

·
Registered
351 Posts
beemermike said:

Mike
Before 05 98 bhp / 05 onwards 116 bhp = 18 bhp . sure makes a big difference .
regards numbnuts in blighty .

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
Having ridden both my 03 and my 05 on the same day I can vouch that the low speed handling is better on the 05. I never felt the "extra" power on the 05 over the 03.
The hydraulic center stand is a mixed blessing. I am on my 3rd, the first 2 replaced under warranty (the second one after less than 9 months). On the 05 the side stand leans much further than on previous models, and my wife hates it, so I have to use the center stand when refueling or parking with her on the bike. The center stand also seems to be very sensitive to heat and sometimes just refuse to work at all after a ride in the 3 digit temperature. Works fine after a minute or so of "rest".
I like the instrumentation better on the 05.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm very pleased with my '99.

RhineWest chip and Remus = more power but was not really necessary. Independent ABS brakes, cd/cassette players, and AM/FM/WX band. 42k miles in the last 3.5 years; 2 IBA SS1000 and not a single problem. I don't normally use the center stand when parking and have learned to leave the bike vertical for about a minute before putting it on the side stand (to avoid start-up smoke). Slow speed maneuvers require practice as well as not clamping down on the front brake at slow speeds if the handlebars are not squared-up.

Figure the price savings of a pre-05 and '05 and newer models before you buy.

Ride safe,
Curt

·
Registered
109 Posts
Actually I think it depends on your pocketbook. Just traded in an 01 ( at Bob'sBMW) for a new one (09) a little over a month ago. Honestly I don't notice the HP difference. My son says he notices when I have gotten on it. He has R1200ST and says the new one is quicker on a pull out.

The 09 has some neat upgrades including the centerstand. What I find out is with the centerstand is if you are on any little incline and have to hold the brakes on it will not engage. I almost would like to see it be able to also be manually operated. I always put the 01 on the centerstand.

My 01 had 80K on it and it did loose the FD over the summer but I had CharlieVT rebuild it and he did an excellent job. That would not stop me from buying an older one.

The 01 had seperate control for front and rear brakes, the 09 has intergrated, That is my hardest issue to get use to as I am a back brake first type rider.

As for handling I really can't say I notice a difference. I just adjusted the footbrake and it seems more to my style of braking now. we did the tail of the dragon a couple times about 2 weeks ago and when using the brakes they just seemed to grab rather than ease in but I believe I have that adjusted now so as for handling I think they both are pretty decent.

I could have waited for the new 1600 but felt that either LT has more than enough power and handles well enough for me to get myself in trouble.

I don't think you will make a bad choice with whatever year you get

Al :bmw:

·
Registered
929 Posts
I have a 99--she has a simple and easier to maintain brake design, imho the seats are easier to get along with, I have not experienced any problems with handling due to 'mucho practice' (knock on wood), I use the centerstand almost always with the exception of gas stops and have had no problems. She is still beautiful and I get a lot of compliments from folks--(probably because they have only seen Harleys and Wings around here) She is smooth as silk and as far as I'm concerned her horses can make me smile...at much less the cost of a 05 or better.

Now, I do wish I had the display of the 05 and higher...or better yet...the display of the 1600! Whatever you decide--welcome to the forum.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts