BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing a SPIII, the 2610 is no longer produced so has anyone gone with the 2620? For $50 more I am game as long as it works. I plan on using the BMR shelf mount and probably a Baehr com replacement (I have the original BMW com, man it sucks)

info on either appreciated

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Without question, the 2610. The 2620 has a microdrive and you'll have issues with it sooner or later due to vibrations. I've had problems with microdrives in digital slrs (cameras) and would never use a microdrive on a device that would be mounted on a bike bumping up and down the road all day.

You can still get a 2610 -- TVNav.com has remanufactured units for $550. Same warranty as new.

http://www.tvnav.com/reman2610.htm

:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Brodie said:
Which one; Garmin 2610 or 2620?
Why not a Quest?. Think about.
lower price
same performance as the 2610
less capacity for maps. But if you are used to work with the computer should be no problem at all.
using it mobile is possible also on bicycles or for hiking.
also designed for outdoor use IP..something standard.

I was also focused on the 2610 but finally changed my mind because of the price, weight and dimension and the possibility to use the unit for bicycle trips.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
2610 availability

I just ordered a Garmin 2610 from the Aerostitch folks at RiderWearhouse. Apparently they have some of this discontinued unit in stock. No deep discount on the unit but I have always been pleased when doing business with these folks.

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Get the 2610

A 2610 with a 2G compact flash card holds all north america street maps and still has lots of room to spare. I like the solid state durability. YMMV.

My only complaint with the 2610 is I would like to turn off all of the ICONS and just use larger words.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
My 2620 has been on 3 differant bike for total of about 60,000 miles, no problems YET.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't do it the 2620 has a hard drive not a memory chip like the 2610. If you already bought it when you get about 5 miles down a bumpy road and you will realize the same thing i did. Also Garmin did not warranty it.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Love my 2610! Bought it refurbed from getfeetwet.com. I hear tale of people buying 2610s these days for $399 off eBay. That's a deal, I don't care what anyone says.

As for microdrives, I bought a Type II CF card (which is basically a microdrive) for my 2610 as an experiment. It hasn't failed yet in over 20K miles.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
If your choice is between the 2610 and 2620, definitely the 2610 with a 2gig CF card. But the 2720 is solid state and has text to speech and a few other goodies. And you can get the GTM 10 and get FM Traffic Info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts