BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Which is the best year?

6K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Iron_Horse 
#1 ·
I am currently riding a 99 light truck and would Ike to upgrade to a newer one and would like to know the option of all you inmates. I am considering a 07-09 model year. Thanks

#2 ·
Might as well go for the 09, can't be much difference between that and an 07 except newer....There is one listed on the Seattle Craigslist right now for around 16K if you're interested

#3 ·
Stick with your '99. Less complex for maintenance, simpler braking system. The advantage of the latest models, in my opinion, are the NAV systems, and comm systems. Both are available aftermarket for less money and better or comparable functionality. Possibly the EHCS. Seldom use the center stand on mine so it isn't a feature for me. I might use the cs more if it was activated with a button.

So, '07 or '09? Stick with your '99

Loren

#4 ·
datsme said:
I am currently riding a 99 light truck and would Ike to upgrade to a newer one and would like to know the option of all you inmates. I am considering a 07-09 model year. Thanks
Am I missing something?

#7 ·
:histerica Still sleeping.....

I agree with wa1200lt, love the older models...

#8 ·
I was on an '02 and traded up to an '09

What I like:
- better steering geometry at low speeds
- slightly lower seating position
- central locking system
- electronic center stand
- better cable routing for throttle
- stock lighting (Xenon) does not require upgrading to an HID
- factory mounted GPS stand just in front of the radio

What is not all that impressive:
- extra horsepower - cannot tell it has 16 extra bhp
- engine / muffle noise - lot more noise / not as smooth
- BC reporting / readout

What do I need to do to keep it up
- add lifetime Spiegler brake lines (http://www.spieglerusa.com/)
- put on Jiffy Tite Quick Disconnect Fuel Line Kit (http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/product/11344/Motorcycle_Jiffy_Tite_Fuel_Line_Disconnects)
- need to drill 2 weep holes - one in the bell housing and one of the clutch slave housing

Now I only have 17,000 miles on the '09 and maybe with time it may get more seasoned like
the '02 that had 68,000 miles - time will tell!!

What other reason could I possibly have to switch to a newer model - wanted the last year
model as this will be my terminal 2 up touring bike. Tried the K1600GTL - just not my cup of tea :D

#9 ·
Some good advise here. My LT currently has 72,000 miles and lots of life left I just thought I needed a newer one. I have rode the 1600gtl and love the power but in my option the Germans have made the bike feel cheaper almost Japanese if you know what I mean.

#10 ·
Dan, what did you not like about the K1600GTL? why wasn't it your cup of tea?

#11 ·
GTL versus K1200LT

GTL - the downside for me or why I dropped my order prior to receipt after a two hour ride!!
- waves / wobbles behind trucks, behind cars, and in the wind

- is not passenger friendly as a LT, pillion has
less seating area
no good access to hand holds
minimal back rest
exposed to much more wind - rides way up in the airstream

- clunking gear box
- driver seat uncomfortable / restricted positioning
- does not have the ballast of an LT rolling down the road
- Bluetooth option that does not incorporate VOX and is not universal in approach
- the top box / bike design at the tail looks like an after thought
- price

or better put this is really a great one person sport bike that BMW thought they could add a
top box to and call it a two up touring bike - in my opinion the LT is a better two up tourer!!

GTL - what I liked about this bike,
- power plant, smoothness and torque
I could not feel the bike running at idle only clue I had that it was running was to hear the exhaust
- electronic suspension
- adaptive head lamp
- ability to program ride, style and bike behavior
- TPM
- stying

Does not look like it but I do not believe BMW will try to go after a heavy two up feature
laden touring machine. Thus my personal reasons for opting to get the last year model LT
and stick with it - truly an amazing bike for me and my wide that I can take care of 100%.

#12 ·
dfinazzo said:
What do I need to do to keep it up
- add lifetime Spiegler brake lines (http://www.spieglerusa.com/)
It might be the Barley/Hopped beverage I'm drinking, but the extreme annoyance at breaking my plastic quick disconnects with the last service now have me shivering like a happy lil' puppy and the prospects of removing the tank the next time...since I did just what you still need to do.

Not excited enough to run out and DO it....but excited, just the same.

#13 ·
Dan, thanks for your input. Sounds like you had a thorough test drive at 2 hrs.
You've confirmed my assumptions from just looking at one in the showroom.
You might be on to something re: BMW's approach to the GTL design. It sure looks like at least a couple of afterthoughts were involved.

That's a real shame because it seemed the BMW LT was the only serious 2 up alternative to the Goldwing without making it a 2 wheel land yacht- a 2 wheel winnebago perhaps, but not a land yacht.

BMW doesn't seem to ever admit mistakes, so no telling how long they go before making a true successor to the LT- maybe never. Perhaps it's a design like the Porsche 911- one that doesn't need replaced, just tweaked from time to time. I wished they'd realize that.

Dan, sounds like you made the right choice.

#14 ·
now that the thread is already hijacked here is my wish list - i would ride my LT till bmw makes a K1600RT :)

#15 ·
LTFan said:
now that the thread is already hijacked here is my wish list - i would ride my LT till bmw makes a K1600RT :)

It ain't nothing new. Hell, half of these threads and classifieds aren't initiated in the right subcategory anyway (present thread excluded), and they seem to stay that way. Why change now? :p

#16 ·
datsme said:
I'd keep the 99.
If you really feel the need to move up to a newer model, I'd go all the way to a 2009.

But what are you really looking for?
You can add the power center stand if that's what you really want.
The low speed handling of the 2005+ bikes isn't that big a change and it does predispose to instability problems.
The increase in power isn't that big a deal.

I think I know how you are thinking, I too have thought about trading my 2000 for a newer model, but I've always decided against doing it.
The power centerstand is nice, but if you don't really need it, there is a downside to it. They break; you can read lots of posts about that. And they make lube changes a little more of a hassle.
The brake system (not linked) of the earlier bikes makes service easier, and the brakes work great. I like the fact that they are not linked.

#19 ·
If I had bought straight into a 2005 model when I started riding these I might feel different, but I was happy to get into a 99 model when I did and 44k miles later in 4 years with 114k miles had me looking at an 07 LT, but instead elected to go with a 2000 LTC with 50k on the clock just because of the unlinked and unpowered braking and no powered center stand. 3 years and another 40k miles I know I made the right choice for me.

But I agree with post #6 I think it was... the best LT is the one you currently own!

#20 ·
datsme said:
IMHO there is no difference between them ...except 09 did not have the comm system standard and you better like Black even 08 models were limited colors ..Blue and Black ...

#22 ·
'09 LT black :D
I am not going to repeat Dan's breakdown and comparison but agree with many of the points raised. My demo ride was not quite as long (40 min.) of chaperoned riding. I've been looking at the LT since '06 ( first was the colors gold/champagne and deep blue) at the time still riding a G'wing 1200 and my buddy k100lt occasionally.
When my pocket was right and I could not take it anymore I did the deal. As I see it the '09 package is the real deal. Like a computer all the upgrades and additions are there and before this ride the furthest trips were to KC and Cincinnati. Now if there is a road I see no stopping. I definitely got the best year.
If you can't be with the one you love . . . love the one you with :histerica
ride safe :bmw:

Attachments

#23 · (Edited)
I have an '09. Only other year I've ridden was an '03. It was great also. I prefer having the last year made. It's got the total improvements made over the years (good or bad I guess) handles great and is the best machine (car, bike, boat, snowmobile etc) I've ever operated. Maybe other years that I haven't ridden are better, but I'm thrilled with my bike and I think the vast majority of us are. That's why we're here isn't it? Enjoy them all, keep them running and hopefully we'll pass each other out there. I don't see very many LTs on the road but I know you're there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.