BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wanted to get thoughts about which HID color temp. to get?
5000K, 6500K, 7,8, or 10K?
they all cost the same..please explain whats the diff?
whats the recommendation of the group?
thanks David

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Roadkingedout said:
wanted to get thoughts about which HID color temp. to get?
5000K, 6500K, 7,8, or 10K?
they all cost the same..please explain whats the diff?
whats the recommendation of the group?
thanks David
The Kelvin temperature is the COLOR of the light, 5000K being white, and progressively bluer as the temp goes up, getting purple at above 8000.

Also, as the color temp. goes up, the actual light output in lumens goes DOWN!

Factory HID lighting on BMW, Lexus, Mercedes, etc. has been in the 4200-5000K range. Stick with that. Higher is for the kids with the slammers that want to be noticed, and seem to get great joy out of making others angry, which the really blue lights do. Since conversion of standard lights to HID is actually illegal (but not enforced against individuals that we have ever heard of), who wants to be noticed like that?

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I ordered the 5000K from CQ Lighting and they appear very blue to me, but I couldn't find anything below 5000K. Can I buy a different bulb and use the same ballast and igniter?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just installed the same CQ, and the 5000 is the lowest that you can buy from them. And I do agree, the 5000 is a little too blue for me. “dshealy” is right, the higher the temp, the less the human eye is capable of seeing. So unless you’re planning on putting in a set of Kickers; stay to the lower temps. Also, installing the CQ’s is about as simple as it gets. There’s a couple of posts in here that show pic’s of installations. Just note that you don’t have to cut extra holes or a slot in the cap, just use the grommet that is supplied with the kit and bring the extra wires through the holes that are still blank, and leave the original plug inside the cap as there is plenty of room for it (this will make sense when you get the kit).

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Texas42 said:
I ordered the 5000K from CQ Lighting and they appear very blue to me, but I couldn't find anything below 5000K. Can I buy a different bulb and use the same ballast and igniter?
It is getting harder to find aftermarket 4200K bulbs, but I had one in my LT, purchased 5000K for my car, and there is not enough difference to worry about. A little bluer, but nothing like those 6000K and above lights!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Bought 4300K for a few dollars more from a place in Canada.

Stay with me David. Don't fold and tell me I spent an extra $75 for nothing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hid

so the H7 5000K is the correct kit to order?
has anyone seen the 6500 in an LT?
thanks for all the input..
anyone want to help do the install :D
david

forgot to ask if the high beam should be replaced with an HID or is that over kill?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Roadkingedout said:
so the H7 5000K is the correct kit to order?
Yes, but only when you cannot find 4200. :D
has anyone seen the 6500 in an LT?
Not on an LT but on cars. Hate them! They will draw attention to you (not good attention), but you cannot see as well!
thanks for all the input..
anyone want to help do the install :D
david

forgot to ask if the high beam should be replaced with an HID or is that over kill?
Some like HID in high beam, but most will agree that it is not the same "bang for the buck" that low beam is.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts

The 5000K kit from CALight.CQ is a leeetle blue, but not enough to worry about. In fact, if I had my choice between it and a 4300, I would pick the 5000 all over again. It looks sooo sweet with my Pacific Blue '02.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
TandemCyclist said:
Bought 4300K for a few dollars more from a place in Canada.

Stay with me David. Don't fold and tell me I spent an extra $75 for nothing.
Naw! You woulda been better off spending that extra $75 on those cute leetle bottles of vino! :D

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Roadkingedout said:
anyone want to help do the install :D ...
david
Hey David,

First: love the name-- Roadkingedout!

Second: I'm with you on the need for someone to help me with (OK, do) a HID install. This kind of stuff drives me crazy. A "project day" for me is changing a turn signal bulb.

You're in Indiana, I'm on Ohio; anyone want to do a Midwest tech session? I'd be happy to host it at my place -- 30x40 4-bay garage with all the facilities (lights, electric, water, fridge, cable TV, high-speed internet) -- if there is interest.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
hschisler said:
I'm with you on the need for someone to help me with (OK, do) a HID install. This kind of stuff drives me crazy. A "project day" for me is changing a turn signal bulb.

You're in Indiana, I'm on Ohio; anyone want to do a Midwest tech session? I'd be happy to host it at my place -- 30x40 4-bay garage with all the facilities (lights, electric, water, fridge, cable TV, high-speed internet) -- if there is interest.
David, Meet me over at Howard's place. :) I'll bring the chainsaw!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I admit to being ignorant about lighting, but why does my BMW dealer offer HID conversion light kits for $1200? This seems like a large gap from $110 ! Is one HID kit any better than another?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
BLBantz said:
I admit to being ignorant about lighting, but why does my BMW dealer offer HID conversion light kits for $1200? This seems like a large gap from $110 ! Is one HID kit any better than another?
I don't know for sure, but I would imagine the BMW unit is the whole light assembly, with reflector and lens designed specifically for HID. That is a requirement to get them certified by DOT, and probably even more important in Europe.

The cheap kits we are installing are only ballast and bulb kits to convert the halogen reflector/lens assemblies to HID. Not really legal, but we have never heard of any individual being even questioned about it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
MY HID-Online high beam is 4200K and is not at all blue. Cost a little more than CQ, but what the heck - it's a 20K+ motorcycle, I'm not going to pinch pennies or dollars on the farkles....
Cuban cigars and Russian River Pinot Noir for me

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
BLBantz said:

david is correct, legality
and wait till you see the difference in a OEM hid and the conversions, the reflector is designed to use the HID by BMW

the conversion kits are not

Tom

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
messenger13 said:
The 5000K kit from CALight.CQ is a leeetle blue, but not enough to worry about. In fact, if I had my choice between it and a 4300, I would pick the 5000 all over again. It looks sooo sweet with my Pacific Blue '02.

If you can make them lights flash in a circular sequence, people will think its a UFO landing.
Result Never pull out in front of you.
Be seen, be safe, over 50% of all mc accidents are caused by over vehicles. :eek:
Rock

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Triangulation

I have yet to have one single cage pull out in front of my LT. The fact is, my Ninja also has aux lights for the triangulation effect and nobody has pulled out in front of that bike either. Some call triangulation a bunch of crap. That's fine...they're allowed their opinion. But it's tough to argue with experience.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts