BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time to replace my old street pilot 2820 with XM Radio.

I don't ride regularly but when I do it is for extended trips - long distance touring.

I ride a 07 RT and have the GPS on a shelf above the dash.

Any advise anyone wishes to offer would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Very Happy with Zumo 665.

Excellent Bluetooth and XM antenna is included!

·
Registered
419 Posts
The new TomTom Rider looks impressive and is aggressively priced against the Garmins. Have not seen it in the US stores yet but MSRP is supposed to be $299. I have an old TomTom for the car and it's routing has always been spot on, which I can;t say for my current Garmin.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Atomicman said:
Very Happy with Zumo 665.

Excellent Bluetooth and XM antenna is included!

Atomicman,

I have been looking for users who have the 66x GArmin and use BT to headset and are happy with it.

Garmin has acknowledged that they do have a BT problem . But do not have a known fix for it.

With the latest Firmware from Garmin the Stereo is DEAD on the Garmin to Scala Rider / SRC units.

The previus firmware worked for an hour to 3 hours and then the BT connection went bad and you had to power down the GPS for several hours before it would work again.

Can you tell me what your experience is?

I know it is not me or my particular setup because I have tried multiple 66x and SCALA / SRC combinations and none have worked right.

can you let me know if you ride for 4 hours listening to MP3 or XM do you get cutting out or perfect BT connectivity for the whole day?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Huuuuum. The last one I sent back to them the BT stopped working around 50-55mph to my Sena SMH10.

That return, unlike the two prior to it was a protracted battle--course they wanted to blame Sena, I didn't understand how to operate the unit, impossible to get three defective refurbished units in a row, and on and on for a few months.

I was hoping to find good reviews about the 350LM waterproof unit but pressed this new replacement 665LM into service recently. I see they dropped the 350LM price finally.

This brand new unit, like the three prior defect ones also fails to find MP3 files once in a while when I turn it on. I had resigned myself to that fate since they haven't been able to figure out how to fix that problem since the unit first came out.

Taking the battery cover off to charge the battery wares thin after a while same with battery cover off to attach to the computer.

Might be easier to just get a second battery and let the unit run until I shut my bike down for the day?

Bob

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
pauleknight said:
Atomicman,

I have been looking for users who have the 66x GArmin and use BT to headset and are happy with it.

Garmin has acknowledged that they do have a BT problem . But do not have a known fix for it.

With the latest Firmware from Garmin the Stereo is DEAD on the Garmin to Scala Rider / SRC units.

The previus firmware worked for an hour to 3 hours and then the BT connection went bad and you had to power down the GPS for several hours before it would work again.

Can you tell me what your experience is?

I know it is not me or my particular setup because I have tried multiple 66x and SCALA / SRC combinations and none have worked right.

can you let me know if you ride for 4 hours listening to MP3 or XM do you get cutting out or perfect BT connectivity for the whole day?

Thanks in advance.

Paul
I use a J&M premium BT headset and my Stereo Bluetooth has worked amazingly well. No problems, great sound, Mp3's and XM. I get perfect BT all day!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have the 665 and enjoy it. I did download and install a firmware update perhaps 4 - 6 weeks ago and have experienced no problems. I know that some have complained about BT problems but so far my Scala G4 and Samsung phone have both worked fine with the Zumo. (hope I'm not tempting fate). Sorry to hear about the problems you're having. My only complaint is that the screen is not easily read in bright light or the reflections from my hi viz jacket.

·
Registered
453 Posts
There have been issues with the 660 and playing / finding MP3's. However with the not the last upgrade but the one before it - that mp3 / sd card issue seems to be solved.

I had problems with the Scala Rider G4 connection, but with the Sena SMH10 it has never let me down - even on an extended journey (total time 12 hours, but road time was in the region of 8-9 hours.)

If they could sort out the Bluetooth connection with the phone - I would be really happy with the 660 / Nav IV

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
The replacement 665, which is new, not refurb works fine with my Sena head set. All of my other BT device also worked fine with my headset, only the audio from the 665 ceased.
Bob.

Every time I see there assertion that it was designed by bikers for bikers I wonder why none of the designers included a program to pick a route with the most FUN?!!

Bob

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks - Got One

I decided to go with the Garmin 665LM.

The biggest reason was my familiarity with the brand. I have an old 476c on my dirt bike, and I had the 2820 Street Pilot for 7 years. The unit has been well received from what I can see on this and other m/c forums.

Thanks again for the responses. I really appreciate it. :wave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts