BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of up dating my GPS. I currently have an SP 2820 which is showing signs of going to GPS heaven and it no longer supported by Garmin. I've pretty well narrowed the field to either the Zumo 590 or the Zumo 390. The 590 has some additional features but for the most part they are not functions that are of major interest to me. The biggest advantage that I can see is the 590's larger screen. Unfortunately those 2.69 sq inches come at a hefty price increase of $300. Not sure it's worth the 50% extra. Just wondering what the opinions of the resident experts might be.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Bought this one off Ebay a couple years back..... Needless to say I didn't pay the $700, mine was a refurbished one for $275. It's got a clear screen and some nice features, my problem is that I need to teach myself on how to better use "Basecamp".

Garmin Zumo 665LM GPS Motorcycle Navigator
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Zumo-665LM-Motorcycle-Navigator/dp/B008M59QEG

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
In case you were not aware of it since you are a Legacy Garmin owner you can get 20% off by going through them. I went from the 276C to the 590 when it was $799. You get 10% off accessories but they don't tell you that until after the initial purchase.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
In case you were not aware of it since you are a Legacy Garmin owner you can get 20% off by going through them. I went from the 276C to the 590 when it was $799. You get 10% off accessories but they don't tell you that until after the initial purchase.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Sorry about the double post.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
I'm thinking of up dating my GPS. I currently have an SP 2820 which is showing signs of going to GPS heaven and it no longer supported by Garmin. I've pretty well narrowed the field to either the Zumo 590 or the Zumo 390. The 590 has some additional features but for the most part they are not functions that are of major interest to me. The biggest advantage that I can see is the 590's larger screen. Unfortunately those 2.69 sq inches come at a hefty price increase of $300. Not sure it's worth the 50% extra. Just wondering what the opinions of the resident experts might be.
Lynn, the 2820 is the best routing gps garmin ever made to date. Try to find a low use 2820 replacement.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lynn, the 2820 is the best routing gps garmin ever made to date. Try to find a low use 2820 replacement.
I agree. Problem is I currently have 2 of them. On one the operating software took a dump and there's no way that I'm aware of to restore it and on the second the display is getting flaky. I've looked at used ones but fear that since they're all of the same vintage the useful life will be compromised.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Bought this one off Ebay a couple years back..... Needless to say I didn't pay the $700, mine was a refurbished one for $275. It's got a clear screen and some nice features, my problem is that I need to teach myself on how to better use "Basecamp".

Garmin Zumo 665LM GPS Motorcycle Navigator
Amazon.com : Garmin Zumo 665LM GPS Motorcycle Navigator : Motorcycle Gps Units : GPS & Navigation
BTW, basecamp does not work with 660 or 665, you need to keep using Mapsource. Something to do with how it transfers routes and they don't come through correctly using Basecamp.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
BTW, basecamp does not work with 660 or 665, you need to keep using Mapsource. Something to do with how it transfers routes and they don't come through correctly using Basecamp.
I know people with a Zumo 660 and Basecamp seems to work for them.

If you are planning your route using Basecamp with maps installed on the computer you should make sure that you are using the same version of the map on both devices, also make sure that avoidances and such preferences are set the same in Basecamp as on the GPS.

Gerhard

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have successfully used my 660 with Basecamp for 4 years. Works fine. No idea where this sort of rubbish comes from.

·
Registered
453 Posts
As with the other responses - I don't think anybody has informed my Nav IV that it should work with Basecamp!

However the map and the selection settings are the same on the computer & GPS.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
I've used basecamp with a 665 for a couple of years now. The only problems I had were due to my ignorance, once I went thru Don's basecamp tutorial I got the hang of it.

Maybe someone can post a link to the tutorial

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Hi Lynn, I was looking for a GPS for the GT and was really happy with the Nuvi 500/550 motorcycle gps I have on the LT so wanted a 2nd one... Trouble was they were discontinued model and we can't get refurbed in Oz like you guys can in the US.
I had a "oh well, WTF" moment and opted for the higher cost 590LM as I wanted the MP3 music features for the GT, as well as phone connectivity through my Autocom setup. managed to find one on a 24hr sale so got it for about $780 Oz.
Works really well, very happy with the larger screen and more up-to-date navigation features. It doesn't "lock" to the mount for anti-theft as well as the 500 does, so I remove it after every ride unless it's in the garage... But apart from that they are a good unit, at least so far. Works very well in the car with the extra mount supplied also.
Happy with purchase.

Reactions: PCH and JNW003

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Lynn, an old guy like you prolly can't see the GPS anyway, so what's the difference? :rotf:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lynn, an old guy like you prolly can't see the GPS anyway, so what's the difference? :rotf:
Your right Bob, That is I'm OLD and there's lots of things that I can't do any more. Of course you know all about that 'cause your on the threshold of OLD yourself! However, I had my Cadilacs removed last year so I can see just fine! Really helped tighten up my group at the pistol range so watch what you say!!:D

Haven't seen you guys in awhile. Hope you and Sharon are doing well.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
I want to add this about the Zumo 590LM. The secondary road detail is terrible. On my very old 276C(it's a marine unit) I can see secondary roads when zoomed out to 1.2 while on the Zumo they only available out to .5. I am zoomed in so close that I can not see if the road is good for where I want to go.
I just spent over an hour with a very nice Garmin service level 1 woman and she confirmed it is what it is. She is going to contact the software people but I told her that apparently not one of the designers rides.

Reactions: sanjaun2

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I want to add this about the Zumo 590LM. The secondary road detail is terrible. On my very old 276C(it's a marine unit) I can see secondary roads when zoomed out to 1.2 while on the Zumo they only available out to .5. I am zoomed in so close that I can not see if the road is good for where I want to go.
I just spent over an hour with a very nice Garmin service level 1 woman and she confirmed it is what it is. She is going to contact the software people but I told her that apparently not one of the designers rides.
Wouldn't the 390LM have the same level of of secondary road detail as the 590LM? If so, then the original poster's question still centers around if the additional features of the 590 is worth price differential of the 390... :corn:

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Dave, you are right.
Personally I would not spend the extra money for the 590, unless you really want:
1. to spend another $140 for the 2 TPMS
2. You want to have lots of music while riding
3. And neither unit will show secondary roads when zoomed out past .5
4. And really want/need the larger screen

Just my .02

1 - 20 of 26 Posts