BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to change out my brake pads. With the wealth of information available from this site, I need to know which brand of pads seem to give the best performance, longevity, etc.. I've heard EBC mentioned here several times but what about the other brands?

Where did you buy them and what part #s ?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
You will need to specify the year of your bike as the calipers have changed in 2002 I believe. If your calipers say Brembo then you have the old pre-linked brakes style, and if they say BMW you got the newer linked brakes style and the pads will be different.
The newer style will take 1 set of EBC FA304HH for the front, and 2 sets of FA294HH for the rear.
Sorry I could not find the part number for the old style...

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
zippy_gg said:
You will need to specify the year of your bike as the calipers have changed in 2002 I believe. If your calipers say Brembo then you have the old pre-linked brakes style, and if they say BMW you got the newer linked brakes style and the pads will be different.
The newer style will take 1 set of EBC FA304HH for the front, and 2 sets of FA294HH for the rear.
Sorry I forgot to mention the vendor Chaparral Racing (http://www.chaparral-racing.com)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone, I have a 2002 LTC.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I tried the EBCs didnt like them, took them off after 2000 miles. Now I run Carbone Lorraines, good but not great have 30000 on them now. I will be going back to Ferrodos again. Love them great brakes, can be hard to find. Im starting to look again. Ill let you know if you are interested.

Zeke

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm in the market also. The first set I bought from the local dealer for the rear and they squeak like crazy. Now the fronts are starting to squeak, but that's probably because of wear. I'll be monitoring this thread for the better pads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have Carbone Lorraine from Beemerboneyard.com type BBCL2960A3 it cost 53,95 for both brake calipers.I like it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Keep the ideas coming. I'm not buying pads until I get as much info as I can.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Is there any reason not to use BMW replacement parts?

The pads that came with my '02LT are still on, and I have no complaints or, nor have I ever wished for or needed any more stopping power...

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I have used oem bmw, ebc hh and carbon lorianne, I liked the carbons but they did not last very long, I think most people now use ebc's.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I heard the EBC and Carbon Lorraine pads cause the rotors to wear faster. Is that true? What has been your experience? Got 36K on OEM's, no complaints.

Ultra LT

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
UltraLT said:
I heard the EBC and Carbon Lorraine pads cause the rotors to wear faster. Is that true? What has been your experience? Got 36K on OEM's, no complaints.

Ultra LT
Ole Toad's discs are original OEM - been thru OEM pads, EBC pads and now running Carbone Lorraines. 120K - can tell where the pad tracks are, butt no appreciable wear based on a mic'ing thickness check.

Rear disc (7.0mm non-track; 6.7 track - minimum thickness allowed is 6.5mm).

I forget the front disc parameters, (minimum is 4.5mm, I think :confused: ) but the pad track area reads 4.6mm.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, The BMW pads are more $$. Like everything else they sell that has the roundel label.

·
Registered
143 Posts
zippy_gg said:
Zippy,

Did I miss understand, Isn't it two for the front(FA294HH) and one for the rear(FA304HH)?

·
Registered
67 Posts
SEE, That's the problem when you have reverse! It's so easy to get the front and rear mixed up. :histerica

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
rusmckay said:
Ziggy,

Did I miss understand, Isn't it two for the front and one for the rear?
I am so busted...!:eek:
You are absolutely right, 2 sets for the front and 1 set for the rear.

·
Registered
143 Posts
zippy_gg said:
I am so busted...!:eek:
You are absolutely right, 2 sets for the front and 1 set for the rear.
Natural mistake, Only reason I noticed was I'm looking for the part numbers to order the sets.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I got 60K from the OEM brakes. The PO had already purchsed EBC pads that he said he got from Dennis Kirk.

No complaints with the EBC, but, I've only put 500 or so on them.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
The OEM's were good for aver 60K miles for me, the EBC's that replaced them look like they'll only go 30K. I'll pay twice the price for twice the life as I can 't tell any difference in braking ability, and the EBC's make a rubbing sound that has gotten me off a couple of times looking for crap stuck in the wheel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts