BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. Last neurotic post about my decision.. :)

I've narrowed it down to two bikes:

2006 - Dark Grey R1200RT
12000 miles
Everything but Radio/CD
J&S Intercom CB,
Satellite Radio,
Corbin driver seat
49 Liter top case
Cee bailey's windshield..

*Service due soon?
Price negotiated - $10,500

Bike B

15,000 miles
loaded with everything that it comes with including radio/cd/speakers
Silver/Grey
new tires
Everything else is stock.

Negotiated Price:

$10,000 + 699 dealer fee :mad:

I like bike b, b/c I can finance half of it, and keep some money in the bank. I also like that it has on board sound, and the color.. The other one has more options, but I don't know too much about them, and 3k less miles, which I doubt means anything.. Both are in excellent condition.

Thoughts? Are they pretty good deals in your opinion?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I'd say those two are a toss up and go with the one that calls to you. BUT!

If it was myself, I would look for a 07 or 08. One simple reason, in 07 the power servo brakes were replaced with non power type that works just as good or better. Didn't like the power servo and don't think I would go back to it, if I had a choice,

·
Registered
62 Posts
Go for the:

Corbin driver seat
49 Liter top case
Cee bailey's windshield.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
amarider said:
I'd say those two are a toss up and go with the one that calls to you. BUT!

If it was myself, I would look for a 07 or 08. One simple reason, in 07 the power servo brakes were replaced with non power type that works just as good or better. Didn't like the power servo and don't think I would go back to it, if I had a choice,
I agree 100%.

Also, on newer RTs you have a choice of just three colors: gray, gray, or gray.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Brakes... Servo Brakes are essentially "power assisted" brakes.

They will stop you on a dime and give back $0.09.

When you are at a stop light and are holding the brakes- they make a whizzy sound, hence the name whizzy brakes.

Some people do not like them because they are so effective. My R1200RT has whizzy brakes and I think they are fine. Takes about one minute to get used to the whizzy part. You must learn, however, to be judicious at low speeds especially when turning. In other words- learn to be careful. No Big Deal!!!

I vote for A due to the accessories. You will find that the Radio is seldom used anyway. Since it has Satt Radio you will use that anyway.The Top Case goes on/off in 15 seconds and is essential for long rides and tours. Cost is well over $1000.

Plus, the set up on bike A screams experienced BMW rider... not some amateur/beginner on a BMW.

BUT, you cannot go wrong... if you really want the Silver one... ask them to include the Top Case... they are all interchangeable anyway.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok.. Good info.. Correction however, the silver one does have the top case.. I think the one with the bells and whistles needs its 12k service.. This could be a price factor no? I think I'm partial to the lighter color, so I may go ahead and pull the trigger on it. I'm waiting to hear back and see if it has on board computer, and heated seats.. Not sure if they all have that.. I know it has heated grips.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just found out the one without all the upgrades doesn't have heated seats.. I'm in florida, so not sure how much that matters, but the temp does go down to 40 degrees some times..

The guy has me out the door on the one with out heated seats and upgrades for $11000 tax, tag, registration, and dealer fee.. I told him that sounds good, now I find out it doesn't have heated seats.. He's upset because he said he thought we had a deal, which we kind of did, however now the other one has lowered his price a few hundred.. Not sure what the line is between being ethical, or just plain wise at this point.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I was about to vote for A because I would not own one without the top box and that is a $920 piece of kit. I also like the intercom and sat radio. The service is an issue but I still think its worth it. I would also bet there is a fuse block installed to run everything and that's a nice feature to have as well.

Oh... and don't worry about the heated seat. I have one on mine and I do use it but could live without it. I also have heated gear.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Look at all of the bolt heads, especially on the engine. Look for marks indicating that they have been removed (for service), and damaged heads (wrong tool, ham-hand mechanic).

I would buy from a private seller before from a dealer, especially one who tacks on mandatory fees (SEVEN HUNDRED BUCKS???). It's one thing if they offer licensing services at an extra cost, something entirely different if they quote a price, then FORCE you to pay more. If they are willing to cheat you one way and TELL YOU ABOUT IT, what other ways are they hiding from you?

I also avoid financing ANYTHING. Pay the cash, get the seller out of your life. I'll bet that you could get Bike A down to 10,000 if you are ready to hand the seller the cash -- or walk. This is the season to be buying motors, not selling them. Tell him about the other one at 10,000, and why you are leaning toward buying it "but I'm just not sure."

Lastly, all I care about is the actual motorcycle -- I figure that options either don't work or are models that I don't want, so will end up replacing them anyhow. I talked a guy down by ONE THIRD by suggesting that he take off the optional and aftermarket stuff and sell it on ebay, because I didn't want it. Once he understood that I wasn't going to pay for it, he decided it wasn't worth his time and effort to pull it all off, and dropped his price rather than watching me walk.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No.. :) Still 2 bikes.. It's just that bike B has the top box, it also doesn't have heated seat, and I think it may not have cruise..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
True about the financing.. I may just do cash.. Great points..

Can anyone look up service history on a VIN?

WB10388016ZM18613

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Remember, many riders end up with custom seats because the stock seat can be very uncomfortable on long rides (and custom seats are not inexpensive). Also, if buying from a dealer, the price should include the appropriate service; i.e., 12,000 mile, etc. IMHO, the radio/cd unit is the least useful piece of equipment on a bike that you can spend money on. Good luck in you decision.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks.. For some reason I'm infatuated with speakers on a bike.. :)

No worries on the VIN check.. A service guy said that there was a clutch lever recall and that's it..

I talked to the original owner, he said:

"BMW dealer told me to skip the 12,000 service so I only had the oil change. The dealer said the many items needed for 12,000 miles really do not need to be done, i.e. it is a rip-off."

Any thoughts on this?

I am about to take a commuter flight to Tampa and drive it back 5 hours..

Here are the two bikes:

Bike A:

http://spacecoast.craigslist.org/mcy/2085827662.html

Bike B:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160510735169&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

·
Registered
311 Posts
I still think bike A. Off the top of my head, I don't recall what else is involved in a 12K, but I think it is more than just an oil change. I seem to remember something about the final drive fluid and the brakes. Worst case is, you have those done. I still prefer that bike due to the farkles.

Have you ridden them both?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Another feature nice feature listed on bike A was,"BMW GPS". That is not a cheap acc. either. How are the tires on A? Seems like he has both his bikes up for sale so there could be some room to negotiate.

Go for A if there is a deal to be had.:deal:

There is nothing wrong with the whizzy brakes on this era of bikes, just a bit more to the maintenance. They sure do stop great. I change from riding my 1984 R100RT to the 2005 R1200RT all the time. You just have to adjust your driving to the particular vehicle you are using.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts