BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everybody:

While waiting for my new J&M CB2003-DU, I'm pondering where to install the connector for my headset. I've heard some put it on the left handlebar and others on the stingray. I'd appreciate your collective opinion as to where best to locate it so the cord doesn't flap around and /or get in the way. I already have enough trouble dealing with the power cord for my BMW heated vest. Thanks.

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
neodoc said:
Hey, everybody:

While waiting for my new J&M CB2003-DU, I'm pondering where to install the connector for my headset. I've heard some put it on the left handlebar and others on the stingray. I'd appreciate your collective opinion as to where best to locate it so the cord doesn't flap around and /or get in the way. I already have enough trouble dealing with the power cord for my BMW heated vest. Thanks.
From what I've seen; The '05 LT has the headset plug mounted on the left flat portion of the stingray. The '04 and earlier have them up near the BC display.

I wouldn't connect anything to the handlebar that has even the slightest potential to affect your ability to steer. :(

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The left flat portion of the stingray is where I put mine.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
if you put it on the stingray
you can;t put one of these <http://www.bikershut.net/bags.htm> there.
just trying to be considerate ya know <g>
Tom

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Mine just comes out by the front of the seat.

Since I routed the cables back to the battery area, I just let the headset connector come out at the front of the seat. No holes to make and it is always in a convenient spot.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I really like where I've placed mine and my wife's cords for our headsets. Mine comes out of the right side, just about where the front and rear seats meet. No drilling or cutting required. For my wife's, her cord comes out at the rear righthand corner of the rear seat. It kinda follows the cable that powers the tour trunk. Make sense? I can take pics if you'd like. Lemme know...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Cord Location

With the VOICE I we had the connection on the left of the stingray. When you stop to fill with gas and turn the handlebar to the left and pull the key out to open the gas filler, the handlebar locks. Then you reach for your billfold to put your card in the pump. You get the credit card and then realize that you are still attached to the bike. Of course you can't unplug because the left handlebar is covering the connection. You put the key back in and turn the handlebar back. Unplug, then start over. Yea, I know you could have just unplugged in the first place. I could never remember. When I installed the Beahr I had it come out right in front of the drivers seat.

Also for the passenger having the connection on the left side of the top case is plan stupid. This obviously was not put there by any passenger. We changed that so the wife's connection comes out between the driver and passenger seat. When there isn't a passenger just drop the wire under the seat. Works so much better for connection and getting on and off the bike.

Hope that gets you thinking.

Smile,

Douglas

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Well had you done the gas cap mod so you could take the key out of the cap without the cap locking you would not have to go through that, btw with that mod you can still choose to lock the gas cap, I think that was the very first mod i did to my bike!

Tom

guess i could hav3e said where

look in the faq's for this
"Can the gas cap be modified so I can leave it unlocked?"

·
Registered
109 Posts
Joe,

I left you a message on your other thread, but my 2005 came with the cord coming out from under the left side of the seat. When I first got the bike, I didn't have a headset and just coiled the cord up under the seat out of the way. I think this is a pretty simple and good method.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts