BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to do some investigations into a 2003 KLT which has lost all power assistance. He has taken it to a BMW dea;ler here in Tasmania and they have diagnosed the fault as "you need a new pump unit", but would not elaborate on the exact details of the failure mode, interesting. Then they quoted him some prices which will cause him to take out a mortgage on his house ! Can anyone recommend an outlet in the states to order an ABS Modulator unit from where the price is 'reasonable" and not insain. I guess the postage is going to add a bit, but that's life. I hope it doesn't come to that for him, but it may well be.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,411 Posts
They go for about $2,500 US from the dealers here new, but there several on Flea Bay.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John, yes, I checked the fische at MAX BMW, US$2468.59 + shipping. Obviously there would be some warranty on the new unit, some risk associated with Ebay used unit. He'll have to weigh it all up. I think the unit will be dead, the brake system (possibly) hasn't been serviced for over 5 years. Be maintenance ignorant, pay the price ! Best regards, Dennis

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
For $2500.00 :eek: I would ride it without ABS and put a piece of black tape over the idiot light... IIRC the brakes on a 2003 will still work just fine?

That chunk o' change must be 1/2 the wholesale value of the bike...

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
RonKMiller said:
For $2500.00 :eek: I would ride it without ABS and put a piece of black tape over the idiot light... IIRC the brakes on a 2003 will still work just fine?

That chunk o' change must be 1/2 the wholesale value of the bike...
'01 and before work fine w/o abs.
My '03 w/o abs has at best 10% braking

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Abs unit went over a year and a half ago, 02 lt, black tape over light, no problem, don't notice any difference in brakes

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,994 Posts
DanMartin said:
'01 and before work fine w/o abs.
My '03 w/o abs has at best 10% braking

Dan
Roger that Dan :D . I was backing my 2004 LT off the lift the other day without the key on and had forget to put the side stand up. Long story short the side stand pushed the bike over to the right side and the hand brake did nothing to slow the bike down. I held the bike as long as I could with both arms but I needed help & finally had to let it go. The end result was my LT fell off the lift against the wall & cracked the windshield. Maybe that will teach me to remember to put the side stand up before I back off the lift :eek: .

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to clarrify guys, I haven't got the bike in my garage yet but the owner tells me the pumps are not running, so no power assist. That to me means very little braking if it's anything like my '05 (I realise the systems are quite different). I too wouldn't be concerned if it was just loss of ABS function.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Dennis,
If it saves you (your friend) enough money, PM me or email me @aol.com and I can purchase for you and send your way. If the ABS is bad and if he elects to replace it, that is.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Mine went out a few months ago too. When the dealer told me the price, I decided I could ride w/o anti-lock. He said there would be no other effect to the braking; the interlocking still works.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
I saw that too-Tony. At $ 325.00 it is a hell of a buy--even though there is a chance that it may not be as good as a new.

·
Registered
92 Posts
CHECK TAMPA BMW....may save 20%.... Or just tell your regular dealer/parts place the following as these Modulators are RIDICULOUSLY priced.....

The pump on my 04 "went bad" a little over a year ago. After having the same reaction to the price for a new pump....I played around with my pump during that year trying to revive it. I tried several total drainings/refills, removed it twice to clean the screens at "brake line junctions" at the suggestion of John Z.....all to no avail.

I then bought a used pump for $500 from FleaBay. After installing the pump the rear brake worked but not the front....ughhh. Luckily the seller was cool and refunded my money. A month ago....I bit the bullet and bought a new pump. My local dealer....whom I really dont care for too much....actually matched the 20% off price I was gonna get at Tampa BMW. So....I installed that new pump a few weeks ago and after $2000 for the pump and a few bottles of fluid....I have fully operational brakes.

The LT is my first BMW and I learned the hard way. I never knew the brake system was suppose to be flushed every year or two. I never did that on any of my HD's or cars/trucks. Live and learn as they say. I guess I better check my valves....lol. I have 50K miles on the bike and never checked them. I ride the LT very "gently" like a touring bike....not a sport bike as some guys do...so hopefully my wear will be slightly less than a "hard 50K".

Steve

·
Registered
88 Posts
Can these ABS modulator units be repaired like the car versions? I know there are a few companies that repair and sell refurbished ABS modules for the BMW cars. I had to get two for my Bimmers. Thanks for any info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts