BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Sorry man, not yet. I got side tracked with exterior visual confirmation of various seal leaks and they are being replaced at this time.

Since I did have a main seal leak without clutch damage, it appears the drain/inspection hole thing may be overkill. It looks like periodic close inspection of the clutch housing seams will show indications of leaks in plenty of time. My slave cylinder is being drilled at this time also, that is still the quickest way to verify any leaks in that area.

FWIW, if you just want a drain hole, right at the bottom of the clutch housing in the center, where I had that red dot in a previous post, will miss the stiffening flanges and about 3/4" fwd of the tranny seam would be good. There is quite a bit of room inside the housing, but I would still wrap some tape on a drill bit to act as a drill stop. Leave about 3/16" of drill protruding beyond the tape. Masking tape works well.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
messenger13 said:
I think you want to drill a hole into the slave cylinder, doncha? ;)

THIS THREAD has all the answers that you need. :)
While you were out traveling around the country and stress testing various GT components, we had a little discussion about other 1st alert measures to save the clutch, I think he already did his clutch slave.

Cheers Joe, and welcome home.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No... I meant the clutch housing... read more...

messenger13 said:
I think you want to drill a hole into the slave cylinder, doncha? ;)

THIS THREAD has all the answers that you need. :)
Nope... I have already done that one...here is the story:

A forum user reported that a BMW dealer found more than a little oil in the bottom of the clutch housing after his clutch failure. As I remember, the source was the back seal of the engine. There has been some discussion about the value of adding a hole in the clutch housing so that you will know if any oil is leaking from the back of the motor or the front of the tranny. Also there has been some discussion about using the same hole to gain access with a bore scope or fiber optic scope to actually inspect the clutch components.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bowlesj said:
Sorry man, not yet. I got side tracked with exterior visual confirmation of various seal leaks and they are being replaced at this time.

FWIW, if you just want a drain hole, right at the bottom of the clutch housing in the center, where I had that red dot in a previous post, will miss the stiffening flanges and about 3/4" fwd of the tranny seam would be good. There is quite a bit of room inside the housing, but I would still wrap some tape on a drill bit to act as a drill stop. Leave about 3/16" of drill protruding beyond the tape. Masking tape works well.
Thank you!

I think I will do it... I may choose a size that is appropriate to drill and tap so I can add a plug later. The real issue is to miss any internal components.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
bowlesj said:
While you were out traveling around the country and stress testing various GT components, we had a little discussion about other 1st alert measures to save the clutch, I think he already did his clutch slave.

Cheers Joe, and welcome home.
See what happens when I leave y'all for a few weeks . . . ya start changing things on me! :(

Thanks John, glad to be back home. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts