BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have recently bought a GPS tracking system for my bike.

There are 3 terminals that need to be connected.

The manual says that two should be connected to the battery and the third terminal should be connected to a wire that comes live on ignition.

Now my dilemma :confused: is which "live" wire to connect to.

My BMW dealer says that I have to be careful as the CANBUS system in the 2011 bikes are sensitive and dont like any splicing of the wires.

any help is appreciated.

Regards

Dinku

·
Registered
472 Posts
There is an unused plug at the front of the bike for the purpose of providing power to the BMW nav system. You can buy the mating plug from BMW then use it for your purpose. CANBUS safe since you don't splice and the computer expects to see the power draw.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
The matching plug is #8330 0413 585. But since this device needs two types of power, constant and a trigger when the bike is running, location will be a compromise. That is a good trigger source (gps plug located just behind the headlamp housing a little to the right). You might want to just go all the way to prepare for the future and install a fuse block. Get one like "fuseblock" or AP-2 or the nifty one that is solid state with a trigger relay included. These have half the circuits hot all the time and half on when the bike comes on via the trigger wire and a relay. I use the GPS power mentioned above to trigger my fuse block with the wire connector listed here. Look this over on various postings as how to do it. You need a diode in the trigger circuit if you trip a relay with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you very much for the advice.

with regards
to the plug in front for the GPS......well its being used for the GPS (ZUMO 660).can it still be used?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
If that is what you want to do. I doubt if the tracker trigger wire circuit will take much current at all.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
philh24 said:
I would connect it to the rear light if you are putting the tracker at the back.
Be careful about using the rear light - it's a combo tail/stop light. On taillight function it gets about 4V, goes to 12V on brake light. That's how it modulates how bright it is. Your tracker may not recognize 4V as "ignition on". I used the front running light for the "ignition on" function for my supplemental LED taillights and it works fine.

On a similar note, some folks advocate splicing into the power socket to get the "ignition on". That stays on for about 30 seconds after turning off the ignition, which may or may not be an issue with you.

Best bet would probably be to splice into the line for your existing Zumo, that way the tracker and the Zumo would work together. The "ignition on" function reads voltage, it doesn't draw any appreciable amount of current.

JayJay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts